PDA

View Full Version : Jack Back?

dando
04-30-04, 05:25 PM
Villeneuve may be plotting comeback (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?id=1793065)

"I would put a lot of money on Jacques being back in 2005," he told the Sun newspaper on Friday.

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
04-30-04, 05:50 PM
I suppose he'd make a good fit as a safety car driver.

rabbit
04-30-04, 06:28 PM
Only three men have been able to expose the chinks in Michael Schumacher's armor - Ayrton Senna, Juan Pablo Montoya, and Jacques Villenueve. Kick him while he's down if you must, but if he returns to the focus he had in '96 and '97, he'll be back at the pointy end of the grid.

Dr. Corkski
04-30-04, 07:03 PM
I suppose he'd make a good fit as a safety car driver.:rofl:

sundaydriver2
04-30-04, 08:23 PM
I hope he comes back and kicks ass. F1 needs a rivalry.

I too think JPM is the only guy who is an equal.

I'm not sure if JV has lost his touch but I think F1 is better off with him than without him. JMHO.

Jay
04-30-04, 08:54 PM
I have no doubts he can still drive, but if he wants to get back into F1, he better be keeping his fitness level in tip-top shape...

I'll believe it when I see it though - Craig Pollock as late as the US GP last year was going around saying Jacques had 'offers' to be in F1 this year and most certainly would.

Rogue Leader
04-30-04, 09:00 PM
If he gets back in (with a competitive car), I believe JPM would also get his ass in gear better, he wont be able to stand JV slapping him around too, and we would have a decent possibility of a 3 way duel between him, JPM and Schumi....

its a posibility...

Railbird
04-30-04, 10:14 PM
I'd like to see Jacques back in a good seat.

Jacques and Jock at Williams?

schweet

RacinM3
05-01-04, 12:32 AM
If Jacques has 1/10 the heart of his father he'll come back and kick Schumacher's ass.

P1
05-01-04, 07:33 AM
I'd like to see him back in a good seat but his F1 career is most probably finished despite CP's media blitz. Read http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns12813.html for a perspective.

mason
05-01-04, 01:05 PM
GrandPrix.com. One mans opinion, wet blanket.

At 33 JV's an old man but still younger than der Wunderkind. It would be very sweet to watch but I'll bet if JV's got a Williams ride next year then Michael will retire after this championship.

Hey! That would make JV's odds (and his owners) pretty good.

ilferrari
05-01-04, 02:54 PM
Craig Pollock's just adding fuel to the fire with his remarks. I would like to see JV back in a Williams but I won't beleive anything until I see him alongside Sir Frank in a press conference.

Ankf00
05-01-04, 03:00 PM
wait, I thought he was a shoe-in at Renault under Flavio!! ;)

Badger
05-01-04, 08:56 PM
Put a fork in JV, cause his F1 career is over. He had five years to help turn around BAR and made no progress. Button in his first year has done what a team leader is supposed to do, drag his team further up the grid. The fact that JV wasn't able to do the same as team leader and he has the reputation for being a pain in the ass means he won't be fielding many offers.

Ankf00
05-01-04, 09:28 PM
Put a fork in JV, cause his F1 career is over. He had five years to help turn around BAR and made no progress. Button in his first year has done what a team leader is supposed to do, drag his team further up the grid. The fact that JV wasn't able to do the same as team leader and he has the reputation for being a pain in the ass means he won't be fielding many offers.

in all fairness, the rise of BAR has more to do with Honda making an engine worth a damn and Geoff Willis showing BAR that a proper F1 car is not supposed to be based on crapwagon technology, and instead building them a real car.

After taking the job Willis said that BAR had absolutely no clue what F1 benchmarks in chassis engineering were.

not that spending that pocket change that was JV's salary on chassis development hurt mind you ;)

Mike Kellner
05-01-04, 11:00 PM
I think it is too bad that Jacues was booted at Honda after years of loyaly driving real dogs for them. If Button can look good in the new car, chances are Jacues would be looking better. For one, I don't think he'd have gotten blown off on the first pit stop the way he did. He had a car that was the match of Schu's, and was taken to the cleaners on the first stop. Any team would be smart to take him on. Williams needs a driver. I am not sure who there is both that is better and in need of a ride for 05.

Still, if he came home to ChampCar, I would love it. Having him in the front row with Tracy would improve the show.

mk

Railbird
05-01-04, 11:11 PM
Pollock hires Willis

Honda builds an engine

those two events lead to Richards being hailed a genuis and Boy Band being boosted from also ran to "the next" by the British press.

JT265
05-02-04, 12:35 AM
Pollock hires Willis

Honda builds an engine

those two events lead to Richards being hailed a genuis and Boy Band being boosted from also ran to "the next" by the British press.

Indeed. Spot on 'bird!

Ankf00
05-02-04, 02:53 AM
Pollock hires Willis

Honda builds an engine

agree with the first two points, but disagree with the third, seeing as timberlake summarily whupped poutine boy last year

jv had his chances to get out of bar, he made his choices, and then he got beat after making his ultimatum, it's his bed, it's for him to sleep in.

and Richards was a genius long before his BAR involvement.

Railbird
05-02-04, 08:51 AM
I seem to recall Button as a fallen playboy after he was replaced by JPM at Williams and Richards as a "misplaced rally ace" after his somewhat dissapointing stint at Benneton/Renault.

Funny how a good engine and real-world chassis designer can make cast asides appear heroic.

and yes, JV made his bed, and was compensated rather well for it.

pinniped
05-02-04, 09:39 AM
I'd love to see it but I doubt it would happen...F1 is all about who is the upcoming talent...the only thing working for him is that the other who might have that seat, Fisichella, Ralfie boy, etc. are doing everything they can to lose it.

Railbird
05-02-04, 09:56 AM
I agree pinniped, Jacques is a little long in the tooth by today's standards to be considered a front runner for a top shelf seat. Of course with all the teams reduced to scrambling for Ferrari's crumbs one never knows who might get desperate enough to take a flyer on a tarnished hero.

Badger
05-02-04, 11:17 AM
If Button can look good in the new car, chances are Jacues would be looking better.

Based on Button's 17 points last year to JV's 6 and the fact that he outqualified JV more often than not, the chances are it would be less than 1 to 1 that JV would be doing better.

Ankf00
05-02-04, 01:11 PM
I seem to recall Button as a fallen playboy after he was replaced by JPM at Williams and Richards as a "misplaced rally ace" after his somewhat dissapointing stint at Benneton/Renault.

Funny how a good engine and real-world chassis designer can make cast asides appear heroic.

and yes, JV made his bed, and was compensated rather well for it.

true but his second year at renault he did redeem himself

ilferrari
05-02-04, 03:53 PM

Oh I didn't realise Button built the car.

tomahawk
05-02-04, 06:04 PM
I doubt Jacques will be invited back to Williams...remember, Frank has two of the better seats on the grid available...why would he reward Jacques for leaving Williams for BAR after a Williams made him world champ (Frank's perspective is the car is it, not the driver).

Quite frankly (no pun intended) but DC probably has a better chance to get back in at Williams than Jacques.

Who will be in at Williams will be the biggest question all year? Despite all the Toyota talk and Ralfie's poor performances to date this year, it's hard to believe that he'll be gone. BMW would probably like to have a German in the seat and Williams would probably like to have at least one experienced driver. Button is unavailable and Webber is owned by Flavio. If Frank wants Webber, he'll have to hope that Jarno steps it up making Mark expendible.

As for the other seat, I see Williams taking a young gun other than Pizzaman...I don't think Dixon gets the seat but someone with US name recognition would be preferable given Williams' sponsorship package. I'd pick Allmendinger but I don't know that Williams would take the risk...

JMVHO

:tomahawk

Dr. Corkski
05-02-04, 06:35 PM
If BMW wants a German they should give Heidfeld a chance, it would be a big slap to the face of Mercedes if he does well in a Bimmer, especially since he got screwed because he didn't fulfill Uncle Ron's young Finnish boy fetish.

If Sir Frank really wants a French Canadian who might actually be able to beat Button he should give Bruno Spengler a call.

Mike Kellner
05-02-04, 09:29 PM
"I don't think Dixon gets the seat but someone with US name recognition would be preferable given Williams' sponsorship package."

If Frank wants someone with US name recognition, it won't be an OW driver. That person would have to come from NASCAR, stick & ball sports, or MTV.

My candidates;(In no particular order, as they all have about the same chance to succeed in F1) Jeff Gordon, Kid Rock, E jr, Jessica Simpson, or Shaq.

mk

Railbird
05-02-04, 09:52 PM

yes he did

I'm not knocking Button, or even Richards, just pointing out how improved equipment should change the perspective.

Ankf00
05-02-04, 10:40 PM
Oh I didn't realise Button built the car.
funny, I'd say that about Schumacher :D

Ankf00
05-02-04, 10:41 PM

yes he did

I'm not knocking Button, or even Richards, just pointing out how improved equipment should change the perspective.
most definately

TrueBrit
05-02-04, 10:56 PM
IIRC correctly Sir Frank has two seats open for next year...Methinks that jacquey-poos' potential retainer will be substantially less than Buttmacher The Lessers', Patrick Head thinks very highly of him, and if memory serves he did rather well with the Williams team before......

We shall see if Young Master Villeneuve is interested in winning or trying to further the feathering of his nest...

If he's half the Gilles I think he is he'll be back....

Mike Kellner
05-02-04, 11:05 PM
My theory is, you go for the best available driver, unless he prices himself out of the market. As long as Jacues is willing to accept a reasonable pay check, I think he could be driving a Williams next year.

My own theory on Button out doing him last year is, he knew he was getting the ax, the car was a dog, and no matter how hard he tried, he would be lucky to finish, much less earn points, so he tried just hard enough to keep the pay checks coming.

33 is a good age for F1 drivers, and given the motivation of a fast car that finishes most races, I think Jacues would do well.

mk

Dr. Corkski
05-03-04, 05:27 AM
My theory is, you go for the best available driver, unless he prices himself out of the market. As long as Jacues is willing to accept a reasonable pay check, I think he could be driving a Williams next year.While Sir Frank would indeed go with the best available driver, he might want to make sure said driver doesn't throw in the towel when he isn't handed a superior car, because as of right now The Walrus is not even the second best car in the field.

My own theory on Button out doing him last year is, he knew he was getting the ax, the car was a dog, and no matter how hard he tried, he would be lucky to finish, much less earn points, so he tried just hard enough to keep the pay checks coming.Well if you are certain that he knew that he was going to be out a BAR, then what more did he need as motivation? Money certainly wasn't it, he was getting far more than he deserved anyway. A superior car? How did the 17 other drivers managed to motivate themselves without one? It wasn't until August of last year that DC was confirmed for 04, so knowing that there was still a chance at a chance to join a top team (at that time) to revive his career, wouldn't that, if anything, be enough to motivate him to beat Timberlake?

33 is a good age for F1 drivers, and given the motivation of a fast car that finishes most races, I think Jacues would do well.33 maybe a good age, but only 3 current drivers are older than he is, with 2 probably in their last season.

TedN
05-03-04, 03:26 PM
I've just been informed that German TV (RTL) is reporting (speculating?) that Jacques will definitely be back next year in F1.

Craig Pollock is in talks with both BMW and Renault. They both want Jacques.

Ted

TedN
05-06-04, 08:43 AM
Nigel Roebuck comments on JV here. (http://www.autosport.com/featuresasknigelitem.asp?id=27096&s=5)

Ted

Railbird
05-06-04, 02:13 PM
I've always enjoyed Roebuck and I like those comments.

I'm kinda like Kellner in that I think Jacques went "off the boil" after being saddled with a ****box for too many seasons.

As much as I like to see the youg chargers get a shot I thinkk 33 is far from too old as long as he has stayed in shape and still has the fire.

Besides, it's kinda hard to find anybody that Patrick Head likes.

Dirty Sanchez
05-06-04, 03:03 PM
What was the exact quote? Something like "If I can't beat him (Button), I don't deserve to be in F1."

:thumdown:

Not gonna happen.

tomahawk
05-06-04, 05:48 PM
What was the exact quote? Something like "If I can't beat him (Button), I don't deserve to be in F1."

:thumdown:

Not gonna happen.
I forgot about that - LOL!

:tomahawk

TedN
05-08-04, 01:20 PM
Here is an extract from Norris McDonald piece in today's Toronto Star. Man, this scenario would be wild and IMHO, hugely popular, especially in North America.

Ted

NASCAR Nextel Cup has the weekend off so Jeff Gordon has gone to Barcelona to take in the Spanish Grand Prix as a guest of the Williams team. This is sure to get the Cup crowd (and others) all excited because the word in the NASCAR paddock this season has been that Gordon will be offered an F1 drive for 2005.

Gordon continues to deny the rumours but for the first time, in a recent report in National Speed Sport News, he called last spring's Tradin' Paint publicity stunt at Indianapolis (in which he drove a Williams while Montoya drove his stock car) a "test.''

Can you just see it? Jacques Villeneuve and Jeff Gordon at Williams in 2005? If it happens, the eyes of the world would be on Williams and Formula One.

Link to Full Story (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1083839228564&call_pageid=968867497088&col=969048871196)

Ted