PDA

View Full Version : 21 Cars Possible at Monterrey

SurfaceUnits
04-30-04, 01:35 PM
Dave Coffin Pitstop
Monterey Herald.com

After scrambling to fill the field with 18 cars for the season-opening Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach two weeks ago, the Bridgestone Presents the Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford could have as many as 21 cars on the grid as early as the Monterrey, Mexico race May 21-23.

With an assist from Gerry Forsythe, one of the trio of owners who bought the series this year, Andreas Leberle has reportedly taken delivery of a couple of Reynards that were run by Stefan Johansson last year and is optimistic he will have at least one and possibly two cars in the field at Monterrey.

No drivers have been mentioned in connection with Leberle, however, word in the paddock is he will most likely need guys who can bring sponsorship money with them.

Joel Camathias has expressed an interest and he does have money to bring to the table. The personable young Swiss driver drove for Dale Coyne to start last season but apparently the two did not see eye-to-eye over some financial matters, so they parted company. Actually, not many people outside the NBA can see eye-to-eye with Camathias; he's 6-foot-5.

Ron Hemalgarn, who has apparently been squeezed out of the IRL, appears on the verge of officially announcing his Champ Car team and he has leased a pair of Reynards from Forsythe for $1 apiece for the year. Canadian Michael Valiante's name has been linked with this deal. Valiante was very competitive in Toyota Atlantic and has been trying to land a Champ Car ride.

LINK (http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/montereyherald/sports/8557853.htm)

Dvdb
04-30-04, 01:54 PM
$1 apiece for the year? Where do I sign up?

devilmaster
04-30-04, 01:57 PM
With me.

DevilJTmaster265 racing. :rofl:

Steve

anait
04-30-04, 02:00 PM
With me.

DevilJTmaster265 racing. :rofl:

Steve

anait signs on the dotted line, packs her bags for the racing season.

I look cute in a firesuit!! ;)

G.
04-30-04, 02:01 PM
I thought that CART/ChampCar/OWRS was dead? :thumbup:

KLang
04-30-04, 02:27 PM

Pic please? ;)

rosawendel
04-30-04, 02:37 PM
Camathias is 6'-5"?? then there IS hope!
(i'm 6'-4")

RaceGrrl
04-30-04, 03:08 PM
Wasn't there also some rumour that Fernandez wanted to drive in that race?

rabbit
04-30-04, 03:19 PM
Camathias is 6'-5"?? then there IS hope!
(i'm 6'-4")
I'm happy for you, but I think rocket and I are SOL.

extramundane
04-30-04, 03:19 PM

I doubt you'll see him in a ChampCar this year, but I'd expect him at Mexico City before Monterrey.

But what do I know...

devilmaster
04-30-04, 03:41 PM
Pic please? ;)

I'll find it! (actually, its still on the 7g photo page)

http://www.kaufmanntechnologies.com/7gphoto/images/anait_2.jpg

:D
Steve

KLang
04-30-04, 03:55 PM
I'll find it! (actually, its still on the 7g photo page)

Helmet needs some work. :D

pchall
04-30-04, 04:05 PM
Helmet needs some work. :D
All he needs is some head banging tunes.

lone_groover
04-30-04, 04:11 PM
Spooky photo! Dude looks like a martian....

Now I'm going to go listen to the STRANGLERS' Meninblack.

It's dumb, but lots of fun!

:)

anait
04-30-04, 04:20 PM
STEVE!!!

:rofl: Ya bum.

Okay, in my defense, it was a bit large, so my girly figure doesn't come across at all. :p

rosawendel
04-30-04, 04:48 PM
that looks like monty, the JPM character:

http://www.jpmontoya.net/ProductImages/product_images/large%20logo%20thumbs%20up.jpg

anait
04-30-04, 04:56 PM
Great. :eek: I do look like a Martian.

http://www.kaufmanntechnologies.com/7gphoto/images/anait_2.jpg

that looks like monty, the JPM character:

http://www.jpmontoya.net/ProductImages/product_images/large%20logo%20thumbs%20up.jpg

lone_groover
04-30-04, 05:09 PM
Didn't realize it was anait. Of course, I meant it looks like a cute martian!

:)

ChampcarShark
04-30-04, 06:08 PM

He did expressed his interest in running the Mexican races, but like he said, it was his sponsors who wanted out of OWRS. So I do not think he will be running Monterrey this year.

RaceGrrl
04-30-04, 08:27 PM
He did expressed his interest in running the Mexican races, but like he said, it was his sponsors who wanted out of OWRS. So I do not think he will be running Monterrey this year.

If he has the weekend free, and someone wants/needs an experienced ChampCar driver, I see no reason why they wouldn't hire him for the race. (other than the fact that he's a stinking traitor)

nrc
04-30-04, 08:29 PM

Where did Fernandez say that his sponsors wanted out of CART? I never heard him say that among all his excuses when he pulled out. His sponsors were prepared to run in CART. He's the one who got cold feet.

meadors
04-30-04, 09:47 PM
Where did Fernandez say that his sponsors wanted out of CART? I never heard him say that among all his excuses when he pulled out. His sponsors were prepared to run in CART. He's the one who got cold feet.

I think he's refering THE sponsor, you know the one who has BIG H in the logo.

Railbird
04-30-04, 09:51 PM
it was his sponsors who wanted out of OWRS.

Honda left a while back, AF was just following their bucks.

As far as these rumored new additions go I don't think they'll do much more than make up the numbers and add a few roaving chicanes.

Valiente deserves much better than the empty shell of a team that couldn't field a decent effort in the IRL the last few years.

SurfaceUnits
04-30-04, 10:42 PM
Hemelgarn shifting gears - 04/30/2004

Ron Hemelgarn has shifted from the Indy Racing League to the Champ Car World Series.

By RON MONTRI Evening News sports editor

Ron Hemelgarn calls this a year of major changes.

Not only from a racing standpoint, but also in his business ventures.

Hemelgarn is a LaSalle resident who sponsored cars in the Indy Racing League from 1996 until last season. Now he is moving to the new Champ Car World Series.

http://www.monroenews.com/articles/2004/04/30/sports/sports05.txt

cart7
05-01-04, 06:07 AM
Exactly, I believe I saw Tecate signage all over LB.

cart7
05-01-04, 06:10 AM
He also is sponsoring Hemelgarn Racing Night at Toledo Speedway in July. It will feature USAC Sprint Cars.

The ultimate irony. I can see it now, CCWS reconnects with American Grassroots oval racing via Ron Hemelgarn. :laugh:

gjc2
05-01-04, 08:27 AM
Exactly, I believe I saw Tecate signage all over LB.

I think that Tecate had decided to go with track signage instead of car sponsorship. That left Fernandez sponsorless. Whose logos are on his Crap Wagon?

George

cart7
05-01-04, 08:55 AM
I think that Tecate had decided to go with track signage instead of car sponsorship. That left Fernandez sponsorless. Whose logos are on his Crap Wagon?

George
Dunno, I haven't watched an earl race this year though I have noted AF appears to be tooling around at the rear with quattro, Buhl and the rest of the Chebbies so whatever the sponsor, they're not getting much ROI. One track forum posters stated it appeared Adrian was just running around like he was just there to collect a check or something.

... well duh.

nrc
05-01-04, 10:30 AM
I think he's refering THE sponsor, you know the one who has BIG H in the logo.

Exactly. I'm being too kind by calling it 'cold feet'. Those cold feet worked just fine when he took the Hondabucks and ran.

nrc
05-01-04, 10:38 AM
Valiente deserves much better than the empty shell of a team that couldn't field a decent effort in the IRL the last few years.

Absolutely. That kid can push the button. He can stand on the gas. He's the fastest potato on the table. The guy is a coiled snake. A gunslinger.

Sorry, I had a gomer moment. The future of ChampCar would be bright if we could see guys like Valiente and Almendinger challenging Tracy. And maybe gals like Patrick.

Madmaxfan2
05-01-04, 10:58 AM
True enough about Hemelgarn being an empty shell of a team. But remember, this was the winning entry in the lame duck 1996 Indy 500. Imagine, the first IRL Indy 500 winning team owner switching to OWRS. The original IRL fan base knows this and it probably drives them crazy. Furthermore, this is the same team owner who gave test seesions in his IRL car to real dirt track racers, the winner of the big Eldora sprint car race was guaranteed a test by Hemelgarn. His entry may never win, but in terms direction and attitude in open wheel racing, Hemelgarn's mere presence speaks volumes about "the Vision". Who knows, with Valiente's talent, plus some backdoor help from Forsythe, there could be a suprise. If I was Gerry, I would help Hemelgarn.

Railbird
05-01-04, 11:05 AM
If I was Gerry, I would help Hemelgarn.

They're going to have to help if for no other reason than Hemelgrn's crew left long ago.

Could they act as a farm team with young engineers and crew gaining experience before moving up to the "A" team?

hard to find much to get excited about in this deal.

Spicoli
05-01-04, 12:35 PM
If I was Gerry, I would help Hemelgarn.

They're going to have to help if for no other reason than Hemelgrn's crew left long ago.

Could they act as a farm team with young engineers and crew gaining experience before moving up to the "A" team?

hard to find much to get excited about in this deal.

If it does nothing more than piss off the gomers, all fine by me.

cart7
05-01-04, 01:04 PM
They're trying their hand at a FRH thread as we speak. ;) They need more practice though. :gomer:

Winston Wolfe
05-01-04, 01:11 PM

I am with you mah brutha; however, do you feel a certain sense of irony in our (CCWS fans) pleasure in seeing a "dyed in the wool" gomer team moving over to the other side (ours), when you compare it to about 3 years ago when there was ground swell and rumors started becoming fact about "CART founding members' teams" heading over to the "other side \ dark side" (theirs) and we were getting pissy about it ?

OW racing in North America is no longer a sport, but more of a business game for the owners and principles (sp?) who continue to make it more of a chess game than I could ever have thought.

The business model of CART proved some success earlier in its existence, while the EARL model has NEVER proven any sort of business success, and has only contributed to the demise of a once great event, now a shadow of its former self, the "Marion County Fair 500" I believe is my favorite name I have read on these here forums....

Warlock!
05-01-04, 06:55 PM
I'm still waiting on the pics of you in a bikini. Hell, I can tell people I look good in a frickin thong til the cows come home if I lived up in the plains of Canada...

I want PROOF woman!!!

Warlock!

fourrunner
05-01-04, 08:07 PM
Hemelgarn was a BasketCase Team in the 1980's in CART with cobbled together weak full season efforts or more often partial seasons.

He did let Scott Brayton get experience, and had 1 year with Jacques Villenueve (the elder). the remainder was with Ludwig Heimrath Jr. and our old friend Buddy Lazier.

His Team organization however made Dale Coynes valiant efforts look like Penske.

I remember Hemelgarn always being a thorn in CART's side, and the Poster Child for the IRL in "Vision I".

Shadow
05-02-04, 12:18 AM
Nicely stated. Hemy is only yanking TG's chain for some money anyway and the OWRS guys probably recognize that fact.

Hemelgarn was a BasketCase Team in the 1980's in CART with cobbled together weak full season efforts or more often partial seasons.

He did let Scott Brayton get experience, and had 1 year with Jacques Villenueve (the elder). the remainder was with Ludwig Heimrath Jr. and our old friend Buddy Lazier.

His Team organization however made Dale Coynes valiant efforts look like Penske.

I remember Hemelgarn always being a thorn in CART's side, and the Poster Child for the IRL in "Vision I".

Clown
05-02-04, 12:55 AM
I just hope this doesn't attract gomers to ChampCar ;)

I want PROOF woman!!!
I want a fire-proof woman :p

Spicoli
05-02-04, 02:52 AM
Nicely stated. Hemy is only yanking TG's chain for some money anyway and the OWRS guys probably recognize that fact.

Need more cowbell.

gjc2
05-03-04, 07:48 AM
We should be welcoming Hemelgarn with open arms, because we need cars! We need to have at least as many cars on each grid as the IRL has.

George

pchall
05-03-04, 11:22 AM
I want a fire-proof woman :p

Do you expect that much fun with friction? ;)

dreamracer
05-03-04, 12:19 PM
Miller sez Hemi is in the feild by Milwaukee....not Monterrey.

BNica
05-03-04, 05:18 PM
Adrian has pretty much lost most of the Tecate sponsorship, they rolled back 85%, leaving what appears to be a personal sponsorship given the minimal signage on the car.

Telmex issued a statement, saying they were ticked off at his decision. They are still on his car.

the only sponsor of his that was 'pleased' with the decision is Quaker State Mexico. Probably cause they are featured prominently on the car now, and they will get more exposure from Mexican TV & ESPN Latin America, because Adrian is the only Mexican in the field.

Ed_Severson
05-03-04, 05:47 PM
"Telmex issued a statement, saying they were ticked off at his decision. They are still on his car."

They were riding along with Jourdain at Long Beach, too.