PDA

View Full Version : Gordon at the Brickyard

racer2c
04-29-04, 12:16 PM
Interesting. This article entitled "Hornish and Penske Top Indy Testing" , is really more about Robby Gordon placing third. Which makes me think that instead of the tin tops replacing the 500, Tony should convince NASCAR to move the 600 allowing a couple of dozen NASCAR stars to fill in for the unpronounceables. Instant ratings!

Link (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/10842/)

Winston Wolfe
04-29-04, 12:37 PM
Nice read.

More of a Robby peice than a Sham and "What's a 'Helio'?" news story.

Loved Robby's quote:
""This race is not a very physical race," Gordon said of Indy. "These things are basically fighter planes that we fly around this racetrack. If you get the setup right and you’re not too loose, it won’t wear you out too much."

TRANSLATION: "If I could figure out how to get a properly cut length of broomstick handle in the car to wedge down the gas pedal, I could drive this thing around for the full three hours and not even break out in a sweat, and save my right leg from going numb from the boredom...."

Other part I liked, was that Robby had lost 15lbs.... based on recent interviews I had seen with him, it sure looks like he could ! All I can say is, how great would it be for RG to go in there and win the deal from all of them road racin', furrin devils, with unpronouncable names, and let a REAL AMERICAN DRIVER win the "Greatest debacle in racing".... :shakehead

Go, Robby, GO !!!

JLMannin
04-29-04, 12:40 PM
The broom stick approach would prevent the "butt-cramp" situation that Tony Stewart had a couple of years back.

RobGuru
04-29-04, 12:49 PM
Of note, DNF was 25th fastest... out of 25 drivers I believe.
:thumbup:

Brickman
04-29-04, 01:16 PM
I always liked Gordon's spunk. I would enjoy him winning.

Madmaxfan2
04-29-04, 03:46 PM
I would have loved to see Robby win the Indy 500 when the race meant something and he drove a real champ car.

Mike Kellner
04-29-04, 03:51 PM
Do they still hold the Indy 500? Is it still on TV?

mk