PDA

View Full Version : RE: Racing Research Assistance

Tifosi24
04-28-04, 02:55 PM
While doing my final research project for Collective Bargaining class, I stumbled upon a citation for a research project about auto racing from the early 1990s. So, I checked out this article and I found it to be very intriguing. Since this line of research is over 10 years old, I have a feeling that the results they found may be different now that Nascar has become so horribly commerical, (the research found that the larger a purse for a race, the greater the number of accidents and faster the lap times.) I know of a lot of good F1 resource sites, but with the Concorde Agreement there is no way for me to do research on it, so I was wondering if anyone in here knows of some good sites for race results and purse sizes. Haven't decided which circuits I will research other than Nascar (can't use the other series from the previous research because it (IMSA GTP and Camel Lights) is dead.) I really think this is going to be a fun piece of undergrad research and hopefully someone can help me in my research. Thank you all.

Turn7
04-28-04, 03:18 PM
Fontana had the Marlboro million dollar bonus for a few years in the CART. You may want to look at the stats for that race and compare them to Michigan during the same time span and see if you can make a story out of it. Fontana always had a bunch of motors popping and blowing smoke.

sundaydriver2
04-28-04, 04:35 PM
Fontana had the Marlboro million dollar bonus for a few years in the CART. You may want to look at the stats for that race and compare them to Michigan during the same time span and see if you can make a story out of it. Fontana always had a bunch of motors popping and blowing smoke.

With Honda and Toyota leading the way. :rofl:

Sean O'Gorman
04-28-04, 05:28 PM
FWIW, you could just lump GTP into one big category of IMSA (or SPORTS CAR/ALMS/whatever its been called over the years). http://www.wspr-racing.com/chassis/chassis.html#races has the results of a HUGE array of sports car races, including IMSA GTP, WSC and ALMS. Any holes that may be in the GTP results I can fill, I have a book that contains the results of all GTP races from 1981-1993 (not sure if it has purses in it though).

Ziggy
04-28-04, 05:38 PM
Sean

Autocourse would be the source for the actual dates. By doing this, you can then go into microfilm at the library and look up the dates for the papers. NASCAR has gotten really skimpy on prize infor (as all series do when they go full blown commercial) Autocourse is always a great reference for exact dates, and they cover Winston Cup

Run into any questions, drop me a PM and I will get off my butt, go into MY LIBRARY and look something up for you

Your welcome

Ziggy

tantra
04-28-04, 11:04 PM
I may be incorrect, but it would seem that a search of records of the I500 will yield the same findings as the study you discovered. The purse and award paid to the winner is hugh in comparison to any other races, and the number of shunts is well recorded and possibly show an increase that the correlates with the size of the purse.

If one considers 'lap times' as being actual lap times, then Fontana and MIS and have been researched, but if 'lap time' only referred to increased lapping speeds over a period of years at a track, then, again, the I500 may have been the races that the original researcher was using in their work.

Please post again letting us know what you find.

manic mechanic
04-29-04, 01:53 AM
TiF, check your PM's.

I 'aint Ziggy, but I think I may have some info that could make comparisons easy.

manic