PDA

View Full Version : More Cleveland Tidbits

turn1
04-26-04, 10:07 PM
The taxiways are blocked off for the initial track construction (straight between 8 and 9) and, interestingly enough, a semi-trailer with a IMG Motorsports logo has been strategically placed for those to see as they pass by on 90 & the Shoreway. This usually becomes the "buy tickets here" signholder, but I thought it was interesting to see more hints at IMG's overall involvement in this year's race.

Also, look for a kick off press conference this week to shed more details on the next two months of frantic preparation!

Bring It On! The Roar By The Shore Once More!

toymaker
04-27-04, 08:46 AM
IMG is NOT involved in the race this year. The trailer in question just contains all the old signage from previous races that Champ Car is sorting through.

tantra
04-27-04, 08:55 AM
Remember the PD article of 3/24/04

http://www.cleveland.com/printer/printer.ssf?/base/sports/1080124559263820.xml

turn1
04-27-04, 09:40 AM
Indeed toymaker - It is just interesting how their legacy lives on in so many ways.

New tidbit - they were grinding the pit lane and pit out this morning.

rabbit
04-27-04, 02:31 PM
Just got this email:
MEDIA ADVISORY

Rev: 4/27/04

What: The 2004 Champ Car Grand Prix of Cleveland Press Conference and Sponsorship Announcement

When: Thursday, April 29 at 12 noon Eastern Time

Where: The Star Plaza located adjacent to the U.S. Bank Center on Playhouse Square located at 1350 Euclid Avenue in downtown Cleveland

Parking: Parking is available in the U.S. Bank garage with an entrance on East 14th Street and on Prospect Avenue

Who: Cleveland Mayor Jane Campbell, Champ Car World Series President Richard Eidswick, Representatives from the new race management team, including Grand Prix of Cleveland, General Manager Rena Shanaman, Representatives from several key sponsors involved in the 2004 Champ Car Grand Prix of Cleveland

**All parties will be available for one-on-one interviews with the media following the press conference**

tantra
04-27-04, 09:20 PM
Good news on two fronts. A course less likely to rip the gearboxes apart, and a woman working diligently to meet a big challenge.

If Ms Shanaman, starting from near zero, pushes and pulls all the necessay pieces together for this event, the owners owe her many thanks and a nice size bonus.

turn1
04-27-04, 10:10 PM
Good news on two fronts. A course less likely to rip the gearboxes apart, and a woman working diligently to meet a big challenge.

If Ms Shanaman, starting from near zero, pushes and pulls all the necessay pieces together for this event, the owners owe her many thanks and a nice size bonus.

Judging on past history, Rena is just the person to accomplish this formidable task!

As for the course, the corners are a concern to me again this year. Way too much epoxy was being thrown down at the last minute in years past.

And I wish they could smooth out the swales in the front straight. The damn landfill is sinking and leaving more hills than most realize!

turn1
04-27-04, 10:12 PM
Just got this email:

I was planning on attending but I will be airborn on the way back from a quick trip to the west coast.

It will be interesting to see the lineup of players that come to back this year...

Napoleon
04-30-04, 08:06 AM
Well the press conference is getting play on the morning radio newstation.

I have not seen the paper yet.

rosawendel
04-30-04, 08:33 AM
23rd Grand Prix set for July 3 at Burke (http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/108331741134370.xml)

plain dealer article addressing the press conference.