PDA

View Full Version : One Engine rule question

Mike Kellner
04-25-04, 10:40 PM
A thought occoures to me. How much work can they do on their one motor on a race weekend? Top Fuel dragsters rebuild the motor between rounds. Could a GP team pull the motor apart, and fix problems if it was suspect before qualifying?

mk

racer2c
04-25-04, 10:45 PM
Hmm, good question. Are second tier teams allowed to tear open customer engines i.e. Petronas? Even though it's a year old, does Ferrari allow them to see the inner workings?

Cam
04-25-04, 11:02 PM
From the FIA Regs. (http://www.fia.com/resources/documents/1195189551__F1_Sport_Reg_a.pdf) . Consider also that after the final qual the car goes to Parc Ferme and can't be worked on anyway.

86) Only one engine may be used by each driver during all practice sessions and the race. Should it become necessary for a driver to use another engine he will drop ten places on the starting grid each time one is used. However, should an engine change be carried out after the qualifying practice session, any drivers concerned will be required to start the race from the back of the starting grid in accordance with Article 131. After consultation with the relevant engine supplier the FIA will attach seals to each engine in order to ensure that no significant moving parts can be rebuilt or replaced. Other than the straightforward replacement of one engine unit with another, a change will also be deemed to have taken place if any of the FIA seals are damaged or removed from the original engine after it has been used for the first time in any practice session held under Articles 118 and 119.

ferrarigod
04-26-04, 01:03 AM
Hmm, good question. Are second tier teams allowed to tear open customer engines i.e. Petronas? Even though it's a year old, does Ferrari allow them to see the inner workings?

The Ferrari engine that Sauber uses isn't a year old. The year old engine wasn't made to last a full weekend(Although they never blew up last year, so they probably could :gomer: )

Sauber has this spec and this years engine as far as Ferrari are concerned. That I believe, the part I don't believe is that they have the exact same model, they both may have a 2004 engine, but I would bet Ferrari itself has a v10.d or v10.e and sauber is on the v10.b or .c

But who knows, no one will tell

JT265
04-26-04, 09:30 PM

No they won't let people see R2C.

However, if you were to order a new customer McBLAM!!!, you could catalogue the parts as they grenade out of the bonnet.

:D

racer2c
04-26-04, 09:39 PM

However, if you were to order a new customer McBLAM!!!, you could catalogue the parts as they grenade out of the bonnet.

:thumbup: :D

TrueBrit
04-26-04, 11:36 PM

:rofl: :rofl: and a :thumbup: for the proper use of "bonnet" in a sentence :D

nz_climber
04-27-04, 06:41 AM

:rofl: LOL best laugh i've had all week!!