PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft

nrc
04-25-04, 12:30 AM
I've landed on another planet where the Bengals don't have a pick in the top half of the first round. I'm not even sure how to assess their picks when they're not in the top half dozen or so chosen. I guess I'll have to do some reading on these guys.

DaveL
04-25-04, 12:37 AM
Eli Manning is a piece of crap. For the kind of scratch he's gonna get to play a game for a living, dictating exactly who can and can't make him a millionare is perverse. Personally, I hope a rookie lineman on the Giants misses a block in a preseason game giving a pass rusher a free shot at him.

Ankf00
04-25-04, 01:55 AM
And I'm sure all of you hated John Elway when he held out :rolleyes: HAH...

If Eli becomes 3/4's the Q his bro is, everyone will forget how he held out, not that I respect the holdout attitude at all, but I hate the selective amnesia about ppl like stevie francis, eric lindros, and john elway 10 times more

JT265
04-25-04, 07:21 AM
And I'm sure all of you hated John Elway when he held out :rolleyes: HAH...

If Eli becomes 3/4's the Q his bro is, everyone will forget how he held out, not that I respect the holdout attitude at all, but I hate the selective amnesia about ppl like stevie francis, eric lindros, and john elway 10 times more

And I expect that the team that is most joyous at Lindros' holdout would have to be the Quebec Nordique, errrrr, I mean the Av's. ;)

And this Eli character. Is his older bro Darren by chance?
:gomer:

DaveL
04-25-04, 08:07 AM
And I'm sure all of you hated John Elway when he held out

As a matter of fact I did, now that you mention it.

skidmarks
04-25-04, 09:50 AM
I wouldn't want to play for Marty either, his offense is based on the run, then the run, then when behind, run again.

Marty sucks.

JoeBob
04-25-04, 12:03 PM
I don't know why teams seem so fixated on making quarterbacks the top pick of the draft.

Maybe it is just because of hype, but it seems to me that QB is the hardest position to predict future success. For every John Elway, there seems to be 3 or 4 Jeff Georges, Ryan Leafs or Akili Smiths. In the meantime, there's Tom Brady, Jake Delhomme, Kurt Warner and a host of others who have come from late rounds (or worse) and gone to the Super Bowl, and done quite well for themselves.

If I had the top pick, I wouldn't waste it on a QB. I'd love to see a list of Superbowl quarterbacks from the last 10 years, and what round they were drafted in.

Ankf00
04-25-04, 01:06 PM
don't forget the brothers Detmer :gomer: heheh

and there's always good ol' Gino

Ankf00
04-25-04, 01:17 PM
As a matter of fact I did, now that you mention it.
well nevermind then, haha, you're the first I've ever heard say that!

nrc
04-25-04, 01:38 PM
I don't know why teams seem so fixated on making quarterbacks the top pick of the draft.

I agree. David Klingler and Akili Smith? Please.

There are lots of quarterbacks who can take you to the Super Bowl if you put the right players around them. It starts up front on both sides of the ball. Trade down, build a great line. Grab "sure thing" skill players when they're available through the draft and fill the gaps with free agents.

Simple, right? :)

RaceGrrl
04-25-04, 01:52 PM
I'd love to see a list of Superbowl quarterbacks from the last 10 years, and what round they were drafted in.

No dates, just QB names and round picked:

Aikman- 1
J Kelly- 1
S Humphries- 6
S Young- went to USFL, but projected to be #1 pick
Grbac- 7
ODonnell- 3
Bledsoe- 1
Favre- 2
Elway- 1
Chandler- 3 was the first QB picked in '88
McNair- 1
Warner- not drafted. Played in Arena and World League
Dilfer- 1
Collins- 1
Brady- 6
Gannon- 4
Johnson- 9
Delhomme- never made the draft. Free agent to Saints then to Carolina

It's stupid that NFL.com doesn't have some easy way to look this stuff up. If they do, it's so buried that a casual fan like me can't find it.

Cam
04-25-04, 02:31 PM
It's stupid that NFL.com doesn't have some easy way to look this stuff up. If they do, it's so buried that a casual fan like me can't find it.

Have a look at this (http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/ones) page.

Ankf00
04-25-04, 03:08 PM
And I expect that the team that is most joyous at Lindros' holdout would have to be the Quebec Nordique, errrrr, I mean the Av's. ;)

And this Eli character. Is his older bro Darren by chance?
:gomer:

man, that trade MADE the avs, geezus, if only they'd stayed in quebec city one more year...

RaceGrrl
04-25-04, 03:28 PM
Have a look at this (http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/ones) page.

I saw that, but I was looking for something more comprehensive than number 1 and number 2 picks. JoeBob specifically asked which round they were picked in, but that's not easy to find. Even on the players' bio, there's no mention of what round they were picked in-at least, no mention that I could find. Check out Tom Brady's stats (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187741/career)

Cam
04-25-04, 03:50 PM
I saw that, but I was looking for something more comprehensive than number 1 and number 2 picks. JoeBob specifically asked which round they were picked in, but that's not easy to find. Even on the players' bio, there's no mention of what round they were picked in-at least, no mention that I could find. Check out Tom Brady's stats (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187741/career)

Here (http://www.drafthistory.com/positions/qb.html) ya go! :D I love google!

XFT
04-25-04, 05:52 PM
I think I speak for most New Yorkers when I say
WE GOT ELI!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

DjDrOmusic
04-25-04, 06:28 PM
I still can't believe the Browns were actually able to get Kellen Winslow II, I just hope that this light at the end of the tunnel isn't another oncoming freight train!

Ziggy
04-25-04, 06:35 PM
A finer football player you could not find in the original Kellen Winslow

The son is no doubt a major talent, but after seeing his little blow up on national TV last year Im thinking he might be a major head case. If not, then the Browns have a great player on their team.

Ziggy

FTG
04-25-04, 06:40 PM
Takes a couple of years to figure out if your team had a good draft.

21 teams passed on Emmitt Smith. Remember all the people who said that "long term" Ryan Leaf would be better than Peyton?

rabbit
04-26-04, 08:52 AM
I hate John Elway for other reasons.
The Drive, The Fumble, just to name two...

And I agree w/ Ziggy, if Kellen Whinerlow can grow up a little bit, the Browns have a dandy on their hands. :thumbup: