View Full Version : Coffee?

KLang
04-25-04, 12:09 AM
An article from today's Houston paper:

Top dollar, bottom brew
Coffee lovers splurge on scarce bean
By ERIN SHERBERT
Copyright 2004 San Mateo County Times
SAN MATEO, Calif. -- Dozens of people lined up at the Bean Street Cafe on Friday, eager to shell out $10 for a cup of coffee made from beans that come from the rear end of a cat.

Only 500 pounds of these hard-to-come-by Kopi Luwak coffee beans are produced each year and sell for about $300 retail a pound in the United States.

"Absolutely better than the average coffee, and I don't mind paying for a good cup of coffee," said Jeremy Breton, a self-described coffee junkie.

Kopi Luwak beans come from Indonesia where civet cats eat the ripest coffee cherries and excrete them intact. Supposedly, the animals' stomach enzymes create the unique flavor of the coffee. The "berries" are then gathered by hand.

"It's a full body coffee that's very low in acidity," said Ken Khoury, owner of the cafe. "It's a very unique coffee."

So unique that about 20 people called days before to sign up for a Kopi Luwak cup, many of whom had never tried it before.

The Bean Street Cafe is one of the few coffee shops willing to pay for the rare beans, which have been available in the U.S. for about a year.

On Friday, the owners sold two pounds of coffee by the cup to more than 40 people.

"I just wanted to see what $300 coffee tastes like," said Dave Garcia, a telephone installer from south San Francisco. "It's definitely something different."

Ewwww....

cart7
04-25-04, 10:09 AM
"What's in this **** man?"

"It's mostly Kopi Luwak with a little Civet mixed in man"

"Civet?"

"Yeah, cat ****"

"Cat ****?"

"Yeah, my cat ate my stash of beans and I had to follow him around for a week with a baggie"

"Woah man"

Railbird
04-25-04, 10:57 AM
and to think I've been flushing away gourmet corn all these years.

JT265
04-25-04, 11:04 AM
That's some good **** man. :thumbup:

Turn7
04-25-04, 11:16 AM
and to think I've been flushing away gourmet corn all these years.

hahahahaa :rofl: :thumbup:

B3RACER1a
04-25-04, 06:31 PM
LOL!!! :rofl:

datachicane
04-26-04, 11:50 AM
Well, it's really more of a mongoose than a cat.
:D

Anway, there's some very real doubt as to whether any of the kopi luwak and caphe cut chon that makes it to market is genuine. I'd say odds are excellent that these folks paid $10 a cup for some nasty old Hills Bros. that the stockboy took a leak on.
:saywhat:

Rob
04-26-04, 11:55 AM
I don't think I want to know how they make their creamer.

anait
04-26-04, 11:59 AM
I don't think I want to know how they make their creamer.

:saywhat: :eek: :rofl: Okay, no more double doubles for me today!!!

Ankf00
04-26-04, 12:06 PM
:saywhat: :eek: :rofl: Okay, no more double doubles for me today!!!
in-n-out? mmmmm

Hard Driver
04-26-04, 01:51 PM
You couldn't pay me to drink that coffee :saywhat:

devilmaster
04-26-04, 02:14 PM
Only 500 pounds of these hard-to-come-by Kopi Luwak coffee beans are produced each year and sell for about $300 retail a pound in the United States.

On Friday, the owners sold two pounds of coffee by the cup to more than 40 people.

hmmm.....

2 pounds of coffee at 300 dollars a pound = 600 bucks....

40 cups of coffee at 10 dollars a cup = 400 bucks....

talk about a loss leader.... :eek:

Steve

cart7
04-26-04, 02:52 PM
What I want to know is, who was the first guy who thought it was a great idea to make a cup of coffee out of cat ****?

devilmaster
04-27-04, 01:13 PM
What I want to know is, who was the first guy who thought it was a great idea to make a cup of coffee out of cat ****?

Everything you eat that grows, pretty much grows in multiple types of ****....

Steve

fourrunner
04-27-04, 01:18 PM
OK please explain to me how this is done..... My Cat keeps freaking out when I try to put the funnel in his mouth.... ;)

devilmaster
04-27-04, 01:20 PM
My Cat

NANCY BOY!
NANCY BOY!
NANCY BOY!
:gomer:

Steve

Dave99
04-27-04, 01:43 PM
Probably self-described coffee junkie Jeremy Breton when his civet cats ate his entire stash of Indonesian Kopi Luwak beans.

Prolly said to hisself "I paid too much for those dang beans not to drink em" and followed the cats around for two weeks with a tin cup. Bink, bink, bink...

Mmm, that some good joe!

fourrunner
04-27-04, 02:06 PM
NANCY BOY!
NANCY BOY!
NANCY BOY!
:gomer:

Steve

I didn't buy him - he was given to me...My former GF thought I needed company, and a Dog was out of the question, because they are so needy, and I'm not home enough, so she got me "Unix" the cat. :gomer:

Hey he pee's on the toilet (absolute truth ) so I don't have that litterbox smell to deal with. And he's definitely smarter than Tony George because he appreciates ChampCars and loves the Turbo's in 5.1 surround & chases them off the TV Screen when they go accross the screen ! :thumbup:

ChampcarShark
04-27-04, 06:26 PM
What about coffee from a dog's behind.

I do not own a cat but have a small Chihuahua in my house.

If it works I could finally get something back from that doggie.

Anyone whant to sign up on the waiting list, I just feed my dog some coffee beans.

Corner5
04-27-04, 07:53 PM
http://www.justuscoffee.com/growers/ads/enerbeans.gif