PDA

View Full Version : An unexpected Champ Car driver sighting

Anteater
04-24-04, 01:28 PM
Last night, Mr. Anteater and I met our friend Gordon for dinner at our favorite funky little taco joint on Coast Highway. We like to sit outside on the patio, which is enclosed by a wall and a wrought-iron gate (bear with me—the gate will play a role in this story). We stayed there for close to 2 hours, swapping tales of the Long Beach race weekend and other topics, even after we’d settled the bill. At 10:15 pm, the busboy began noisily stacking the resin chairs used on the patio, so we decided that it was probably a hint that they wanted to close up and go home. There were no other customers at the restaurant, save us and a couple sitting behind us on the patio. So the 3 of us got up and walked through the gate. Even then, we weren’t quite ready to leave, and lingered a minute so Mr. Anteater and Gordy could have a smoke on the sidewalk. I saw the couple making their way to the gate; the guy had some trouble with it, trying to pull the gate open at first. Then he pushed the gate open, and I heard him say to his girlfriend (get ready for this) : “Oh—it’s PUSH TO PASS”, and they walked through the gate. Well, that phrase got the attention of all 3 of us, and we looked around to see who this fellow Champ Car fan was (I was wearing my Champ Car jacket BTW). Boy, were we surprised: it was Ryan Hunter-Reay! We watched in astonishment as they got into the girlfriend’s Beetle and drove away. I guess he’s dating a local girl and decided to stay for a visit after the LBGP, because he sure was a long way from home!

How about you: have you ever seen a Champ Car driver in an unexpected place away from the track?

lone_groover
04-24-04, 01:35 PM
Sounds like a t'riffic evening out.

Thanks for sharing (in a non-12 step sorta way)!

:thumbup: :)

devilmaster
04-24-04, 02:16 PM
How about you: have you ever seen a Champ Car driver in an unexpected place away from the track?

I'll look for it, but you missed the thread from the boss here, about meeting up with RHR last year...

Steve

devilmaster
04-24-04, 02:28 PM
I'll look for it, but you missed the thread from the boss here, about meeting up with RHR last year...

Steve

Found it!

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1622

Steve

skaven
04-24-04, 02:57 PM
I guess he’s dating a local girl and decided to stay for a visit after the LBGP, because he sure was a long way from home!

I hope he doesn't have any other girlfriends who read this forum... :eek:

JT265
04-24-04, 03:15 PM
Dunno if this qualifies as a "ChampCar driver" sighting, but anyway......

In the summer of 1983 I was passing thru Harrisburg PA (doesn't everybody? :D) , when I was going past a Texaco station I notice there are two Indycars on the lawn, and what looks like a big grand opening, denoted by a sign that said "Grand Opening" ;)

Anyway, I stopped, there was no one around, (honest), and I'm looking at Tom Sneva's and Kevin Cogan's (of THAT DAMN COOGAN fame) showcars. So, while staring into the cockpit of Sneva's March-Cosworth that had won Indy a month or so ago, this long tall guy comes up and says "hey". We got to talking, and it was Sneva himself. Anyway, being bored, we knocked around out front for a bit, then he asked me if I wanted to go back to the motorhome for lunch and I agreed. I was when we got back there that the coolest thing happened. Sitting at the table in the motorhome was this tiny little guy with the biggest glasses I have ever seen, turned out he was George Bignotti, whose CV is pretty impressive, starting with the 1st car that the Fat Champ ever won Indy with. Being an Indycentric lemming gomer, :D pounding George with questions most of the afternoon was likely the coolest sighting I ever had.

(Until I became a world famous TV star you understand) :D

cart7
04-24-04, 03:45 PM
Dario wandered into the service shop I was working in in '97 (I was a couple blocks down the street from Hogans race shop). He brought in this odd import Phillips TV/VCR combo and wanted us to take a look at it. I tried to get it going but needed more service info which I couldn't get for the import. Giving it back, I expained and he muttered something to the effect of never buying another piece of s**** like that again. We chatted and he invited me down to the shop. I went down and got a tour, though he wasn't there at the time.

KLang
04-24-04, 06:22 PM
I used to see Moreno occasionally at the grocery store when we lived near Fort Lauderdale.

Ankf00
04-24-04, 06:45 PM
I hope he doesn't have any other girlfriends who read this forum... :eek:

"baby, c'mon, you're going to believe what you read on the INTERNET?! you know I love you!!!" :rofl:

Rob
04-24-04, 07:54 PM
Yep, last year when I flew to San Jose for the Laguna Seca race I walked out of the airport and took a shuttle to the car rental area to pick up my ride. Patrick Carpentier, dressed in a metallic silver-gray T-shirt, dashed down the sidewalk towards me to another rental company. I greeted him with a grin and a hello, which he cheerfully returned.

Spicoli
04-25-04, 03:41 PM
Trust me, RHR dates ALOT of girls. ;)

Oh, shut up, you would too. :p

chop456
04-25-04, 11:04 PM
No caption necessary.
http://www.cart.com/content/photos/2003/By800/20031104P_0012.jpg

racer2c
04-25-04, 11:21 PM
DAMN! I wish I was a race car driver. :mad: :flame: :cry:

Spicoli
04-26-04, 08:21 AM
The tall blonde in Cleveland was MUCH better. ;)

Big Mo
04-26-04, 08:55 AM
My brother in law, while living in Lexington, Ohio for several years, was at a convenience store to pick up something when this big Lincoln Town Car came pulling in, ran wide up over the curb, bouncing as it did and then just parked there with the car sticking up at a crazy angle, a front wheel resting on the raised sidewalk.

My brother is thinking, what a total dork! Out of curiosity he watched to see who climbed out expecting some crazy redneck. But who should climb out the driver's door? One Emerson Fittipaldi. His wife, Teresa, was sitting on the passenger side. My bro in law just started laughing and drove away.

Big Mo

RaceChic
04-26-04, 12:45 PM
If Ryan's date takes a deep breath, she is going to pop out of her dress!!!
:eek: :eek: :eek:

devilmaster
04-26-04, 01:08 PM

You almost say that as if its a bad thing.... :D

Steve

nrc
04-26-04, 01:33 PM
Little known fact: Teo Fabi and Roberto Moreno are also in that picture.

RaceGrrl
04-26-04, 01:48 PM

Brilliant. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

IlliniRacer
04-26-04, 04:32 PM

MONITOR INSURANCE!!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sean O'Gorman
04-26-04, 04:59 PM

If you are going to make a statement like that, you HAVE to back it up with pics. :D

ferrarigod
04-26-04, 05:21 PM
If you are going to make a statement like that, you HAVE to back it up with pics. :D

Uh-oh, SeanO's worried it my be his woman. You guys better find some pics ;)

RacinM3
04-26-04, 05:38 PM

How cute. She named them after race car drivers, too.

Spicoli
04-26-04, 05:48 PM

Man, do I wish. Some other guys know who I was referring to. He partied with us after the race in the hotel bar. He and the lady shared an elevator ride up with me and the wife. They didn't have a button pushed either. ;)

indyfan31
04-26-04, 06:28 PM

She would have to be a VERY tall blond.

RaceGrrl
04-26-04, 07:03 PM
Man, do I wish. Some other guys know who I was referring to. He partied with us after the race in the hotel bar. He and the lady shared an elevator ride up with me and the wife. They didn't have a button pushed either. ;)

I remember her- she was a hottie.

JT265
04-26-04, 08:58 PM

hmmmm..........free range hooters.

me like.
:D

pkvracing12
04-26-04, 09:05 PM
Imagine this Bronte Tagliani RHR girlfriend and hmmmmmmmmm Nelson Phillipe two hot girls and a crossdresser you might not be able to tell them apart. :gomer:

JT265
04-26-04, 09:32 PM
Imagine this Bronte Tagliani RHR girlfriend and hmmmmmmmmm Nelson Phillipe two hot girls and a crossdresser you might not be able to tell them apart. :gomer:

Sure ya could. "Fast" Phil is the one with the elegant couffure. :rofl:

pkvracing12
04-27-04, 04:11 PM
Sure ya could. "Fast" Phil is the one with the elegant couffure. :rofl:
You know what I think miss Spears would look good with Bronte. They both could do dangerous curves with each other and the ratings would go threw the roof.