PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye Buhl...

JoeBob
04-23-04, 08:07 PM
http://www.indystar.com/articles/7/140595-8577-092.html

Also, here's the press release (no link)

After 21 years in the driver’s seat, Robbie Buhl will be watching IndyCar Series races from a new perspective when the Indy Racing League takes to the track for the remainder of the 2004 season. Buhl will remain on the other side of the wall wearing his owner’s hat full time instead of the familiar fluorescent orange and white helmet, as the 40 year-old Detroit native and IndyCar Series veteran announced his retirement here today.

“It was not an easy decision,” said Buhl. “My life has been racing, but personal goals continue to evolve for all of us. I remember when my goal was just to drive in the Indy 500. Now I’ve started in the front row, started in the back row, and I’ve led the race. I may leave some unfinished business at the Brickyard, but this is the right decision for everyone---my family, my team, and me. I’m healthy, happy, and walking away on my own terms.”

“I worked hard in the off season, and I’m probably in the best shape I’ve ever been in as a driver,’ Buhl added. “But the mental part of this sport requires 110% of your attention 110% of the time, and it was just my time to say ‘enough’.”

One of two active drivers from the inaugural IRL 1996 season, Buhl joined Dreyer & Reinbold Racing (DRR) of Indianapolis as a driver in 1999. He became a co-owner in 2000, and raced this season as one of only three owner/drivers in the league.

His driving accomplishments include two IRL victories; a third place IRL points finish (1996) and two national championships, winning the 1992 Indy Lights Championship and 1989 Barber Dodge Pro Series. Buhl’s Indy Lights record of 27 podium finishes (with 11 consecutive in 1992) in 50 starts has never been equaled. He’s also won the Rolex 24 Hour Race at Daytona as a co-driver in the GT class for Roush Racing, and previously driven open wheel cars for Greg Beck, John Menard and AJ Foyt. He has started in eight Indianapolis 500’s, including a front row start in second position in 2002, with his highest finish of sixth in 1999

Respected by his fellow drivers as a solid, competitive and consistent racer, he’s served as their representative to the Championship Drivers Association (CDA) for the past three years, working with Dr. Hank Bock and the IRL toward enhancing safety measures for the drivers.

“Stepping aside as a driver will put my full attention and focus on ownership and what needs to be done outside the car,” said Buhl. “My knowledge, love and commitment for this sport will now be directly focused on building on the successes of DRR and continuing my relationship with ‘Racing for Kids’.”

Aventis Pharmaceuticals and its legacy companies have sponsored Buhl since 1990, a lengthy partnership by most motorsports standards. Purex has been with the team and Buhl since it was first formed in 2000 when they won their first race effort with the new team at Walt Disney World.

“Very few people have the opportunity to spend their entire careers in something they feel truly passionate about,” Buhl noted. “I know how fortunate I am, not only to have had the chance to drive, but now to also remain an active part of the racing community.”

In his own mischievous way, Buhl teased his team yesterday, as he broke the news of his decision.

“I told my team that just because I was out of the car didn’t mean that I wouldn’t be all over them to get everything right,” Buhl said. If they thought I was a pain in the car, they haven’t seen anything yet.”

A smiling co-owner Dennis Reinbold agreed that he may indeed have his hands full with Buhl more actively involved in the team’s management.

“His energy and enthusiasm are going to be newly focused on a broader perspective,” said Reinbold. “I have every confidence that his experiences will constructively contribute to the success of our new driver, and that our team will prosper and grow under his full-time efforts on the business side.”

Near contemporaries, Buhl and Reinbold have much in common besides the race team. Both own multiple business entities (including auto dealerships), have competitive athletic histories (Buhl as an All-District NCAA lacrosse player and Reinbold as a college pitcher), and vacation together in northern Michigan with their families several times a year.

“We saw a glimmer of what we expect a couple of years ago when he was injured (at California) and got to coach Sarah (Fisher) for his ride at Nazareth,” said Reinbold. “He was on top of everything with meticulous detail, and he must’ve paced 300 miles in the pits while he was scrutinizing our every move.”

Buhl will continue as the national spokesman for “Racing for Kids,” a role he has enjoyed for 15 years while visiting more than 14,000 young patients in children’s hospitals across the globe during his regular pre-race routine. Founded in 1989, the charitable organization seeks to focus attention on the health care needs of children, and has raised nearly three million dollars for local children’s hospitals and child health institutions.

Dreyer and Reinbold will host a press conference early next week to announce the new driver for the #24 entry. Longtime team sponsors Purex and Aventis will remain with Buhl’s team, with the expected addition of new partners as well. The announcement will begin a new chapter in the life of Robbie Buhl, and a continuing evolution for Dreyer & Reinbold Racing.

That last paragraph makes it sound like he's stepped aside so somebody who can actually fund the team could drive.

DaveL
04-23-04, 08:33 PM
We all have our favorite Robbie Buhl memories from him spinning out trying to catch Helio in 2001, to seeing him putt around the back of IRL grids nominally faster than IV.

But for me, the first sign of Buhl's great ability came in 1993. He proved that he could wreck Dale Coyne's cars faster than the team could rebuild them, earning him a trip back to the minors where he got dusted by Empringham, Herta, and Robertson.

Ahh, the memories. We'll miss ya Robbie.

Hot Rod Otis
04-23-04, 10:34 PM
Now now Dave. Dontcha know Robbie woulda won Indy in 2001 if Helio hadn't blocked him so bad. Just like in 2000 when Buddy woulda beat Montoya if only the other IRL drivers would have blocked for him. :rolleyes:

DaveL
04-23-04, 11:01 PM
Just like in 2000 when Buddy woulda beat Montoya if only the other IRL drivers would have blocked for him. :rolleyes:

That, and for the wont of the legendary Smooth Fuel Hose.

Brickman
04-23-04, 11:40 PM
I always liked Robbie, thought Menard screwed with him when he parked him during a hissy fit. Starting his own team and getting his own sponsors wasn't easy and I thought he did a good job as an owner. As an IRL driver? 2 wins in 78 starts.

Ziggy
04-24-04, 12:48 AM
Brickman wrote

Starting his own team and getting his own sponsors wasn't easy

Which speaks volumes on how much you know

Born Rich = Talent, yeah, that's it

Ziggy

Fio1
04-24-04, 02:01 AM
Robbie is a good driver. One that was an example for a generation of Skip Barber Formula Dodge drivers. Win races and championships, and things can happen.....

At the end of the day, the guy is an Indycar race winner and won a Baber Saab Title (now Barber Dodge Pro-Series) and Indy Lights title. I don't care what you say, but that's a pretty good racing cv in any book! :cool:

Ankf00
04-24-04, 03:09 AM
I'd have to agree with Fio, there's much worse in the league than Buhlinator.

Brickman
04-24-04, 11:47 AM
Brickman wrote

Starting his own team and getting his own sponsors wasn't easy

Which speaks volumes on how much you know

Born Rich = Talent, yeah, that's it

Ziggy

Was he born rich? I didn't know that. What company does his parents own? I never said he was chock full of talent, just that Menard screwed with him and parked him for no good reason because of a hissy fit.

So this stuff was bad?
- Finished Indy Lights career with 27 top-three finishes in 50 races, a series record.
- Co-drove to GTS victory in Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona in Mustang.
- Won Indy Lights title with victory at Nazareth, 11 top-three finishes, three poles.
- Earned victories in British Formula Ford, North American Sports Renault, Barber Saab Pro Series and SCCA Atlantic events.

Seems to me he did what you are suppose to do regardless of talent. No he never won in CART, only won Disney and New Hampshire in the IRL. I always thought he was a nice guy. Dropping out because he knew he didn't have the heart to carry on seems like use of common sense. Not all IRL drivers have Dr.Jack talent or Tomas Scheckner personalities.

cart7
04-24-04, 12:06 PM
I'd guess that the other tidbit of info where Purex was drastically scaling back sponsorship $$ had more to do with this than anything.

lone_groover
04-24-04, 01:20 PM
Word in Manhattan is that this sudden announcement is timed to coincide with the publication of Volume One of Buhl's memoirs, BAD HAIR LIFE, to be release on May 30 by NoAccount Books, an imprint of Watson Guptill.
:gomer: