PDA

View Full Version : 2004 LBGP in profit

Formula 409
04-23-04, 07:16 PM
From the middle of an article in the Long Beach Press Telegram by By Doug Krikorian:
http://www.presstelegram.com/Stories/0,1413,204~28780~2101679,00.html

Long Beach Grand Prix Association president/CEO Jim Michaelian tells me his race last Sunday had a bigger walk-up ticket sale than it did a year ago. And he also revealed that, incredibly, after all the controversy surrounding the bankruptcy of CART and shakiness of the Champ Car World Series, his event actually wound up making a modest profit. ...

KLang
04-23-04, 07:20 PM
Very good news. :thumbup:

I'm sure the yahoos at TF will be able to explain that this is just not possible.

pchall
04-23-04, 07:29 PM

I'm sure the yahoos at TF will be able to explain that this is just not possible.

Yes. Clearly the clean up crews swept up the Three Amigos dropped pocket change and put it in the till. ;)

Corner5
04-23-04, 08:34 PM

They'll say what they always do"The people who attend LB are not race fans,they're just there for the party."

Except that's pretty expensive admission just to drink beer!

:shakehead :gomer:

Cart4Live2003
04-23-04, 08:47 PM
not only expensive ticket to get in to drink beer, expensive beer itself!! hehe

SteveH
04-23-04, 11:20 PM
Did anyone check w/ Jim Wilke on this? :gomer:

DjDrOmusic
04-24-04, 01:06 AM
THIS JUST IN!!!!

Greg Ray to sue LBGP, according to Ray he once visited Long Beach and lost his wallet at Wanda's Massage Parlor, now the Grand Prix says they made a profit, it must be from the lost wallet... Also.... Wilke, Defender, Cartopolis and CheeberFan have gone into an emergency meeting at Duke's 8th Avenue Hotel in Anchorage to come up with an explanation of how the numbers had to be forged for the LBGP weekend. According to Wilke, based on the attendance figures for the 1997 Phoenix IRL race, there is no conceivable way that Long Beach had more fans in attendance than the last 12 IRL races combined. ;) :D :saywhat:

RaceGrrl
04-24-04, 02:54 PM
This is very good news. Seems like it would make choosing between ChampCars and crapwagons more difficult. The only reason to take the risk on the IRL would be if Toyota offered to make up any loss at the gates. Surely the folks at the LBGBA have seen how wretched the attendance is at crapwagon races, and hopefully that would be enough to convince them to stay far, far away from them.

Shadow
05-02-04, 12:22 AM
THIS JUST IN!!!!

Greg Ray to sue LBGP, according to Ray he once visited Long Beach and lost his wallet at Wanda's Massage Parlor, now the Grand Prix says they made a profit, it must be from the lost wallet... Also.... Wilke, Defender, Cartopolis and CheeberFan have gone into an emergency meeting at Duke's 8th Avenue Hotel in Anchorage to come up with an explanation of how the numbers had to be forged for the LBGP weekend. According to Wilke, based on the attendance figures for the 1997 Phoenix IRL race, there is no conceivable way that Long Beach had more fans in attendance than the last 12 IRL races combined. ;) :D :saywhat:

Now that is bloody good. I'm still laughing. Congrats.