PDA

View Full Version : Rahal/Fernandez

sundaydriver
02-03-03, 03:48 PM
Does it seem odd that teams like Herdez and Walker have enough funding for two cars but Rahal and Fernandez do not? The reason I ask is it seems to me that Pook may not be handing out any subsidies to CART owners who are in both leagues?

MAXAR RE
02-03-03, 04:06 PM
Technically, they both have second cars, its just that their second cars run ovals exclusively. But I know what you mean. You would think Adrian would put Diaz or another Mexican in a second car (he has 4 chassis in the shop -- 2 for him, 2 for Nakano from last year). I am sure that he could find Mexican sponsors like OXXO, TelMex, and Tecate willing to up their sponsorship. He should at least run 2nd cars in Monterey and Mexico City.

sundaydriver
02-03-03, 04:27 PM
So if Rahal and Fernandez have the equipment, some associate sponsorship and manpower, would CART pony up the difference or would they turn their head?

Pook seems to be making a point, you are either with us or against us. I dont know but if Rahal and Fernandez have 50% of the requirements for a second car and dont run them, CART seems to be taking a pass on these teams for the above reason.

Also, if Rahal does have some the sponsorhsip package for a second car, HIRE ALEX BARRON! :D

JLMannin
02-03-03, 05:07 PM
When I was at the fan forum at Chicago Motor Speedway last year, Pook stated that "next year, you're either in CART or you aren't". He also specifically identified that the IRL was the competition.

Maybe this is what he meant.

Hurling Frootmig
02-03-03, 05:46 PM
There's no real reason to help team owners who are playing both sides. They are either loyal or they aren't. If they aren't loyal then why help them out. The previous attempts to do so resulted in CART getting screwed by those very owners. Pretty simple.

JLMannin
02-03-03, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Hurling Frootmig
There's no real reason to help team owners who are playing both sides. They are either loyal or they aren't. If they aren't loyal then why help them out. The previous attempts to do so resulted in CART getting screwed by those very owners. Pretty simple.

I think Pook has realized that Indyitis is, in fact, incurable. Just let the disease run its course.

I'm not all that suprised that Rahal has indyitis, but I wonder why Fernandez has it.

tllips
02-03-03, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by JLMannin
I think Pook has realized that Indyitis is, in fact, incurable. Just let the disease run its course.

I'm not all that suprised that Rahal has indyitis, but I wonder why Fernandez has it.

The only reason I can see Fernadez' Indyitis is from his relationship with Honda. Honda must be giving him a lot of money to run the IRL, just like Mikey.

nrc
02-03-03, 09:36 PM
I mentioned this a while back. I think this, and the absence of fence sitters like Ganassi and Nunn is evidence that CART has taken a hardline on funding for teams with divided loyalties.

They're eligable for the ESP program the same as anyone, but that 30 million earmarked for filling the field probably has some kind of non-compete claus attached to it. That's as it should be. That money is coming from CART shareholders, and it would be bad business for CART to allocate it to fence sitters which effectively helps support the competition.

tomahawk
02-03-03, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by nrc
I mentioned this a while back. I think this, and the absence of fence sitters like Ganassi and Nunn is evidence that CART has taken a hardline on funding for teams with divided loyalties...
As well it should. Many if not most CART fans would agree that allowing teams to divide their loyalties in the first place gave the IRL (or at least it's "one" race) legitimacy.

You've got the cut out the cancer before it spreads...and I'm not gonna miss Floyd, that's for sure.

:tomahawk

mexican
02-03-03, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by tllips
The only reason I can see Fernadez' Indyitis is from his relationship with Honda. Honda must be giving him a lot of money to run the IRL, just like Mikey.

and also, I wouldn't rule out Adrian having an itch for the 497.5, remember, he was racing back before the split & I'm sure tecate/telmex would just love to milk the p.r. a win there would produce. don't be surprised seeing him making a qualifying run this may.