PDA

View Full Version : Interesting breakdown on Senna's accident..

TrueBrit
04-22-04, 11:40 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/default.stm#

Right-hand side of the page "Why Senna Crashed"

Not sure how long it's going to be there, so check it out soon if you're interested...

Corner5
04-23-04, 11:29 AM
That's an interesting theory.When I watched the replay ,they seemed to say it was because of cold tires on the restart after the yellow flag.FYI for anyone who wants to see this race again it will be on just once more-

San Marino – ONE TIME ONLY Special encore presentation Saturday, May 1st at 11pm ET/8pm PT
Speed will also present a one time only encore presentation of the 1993 Grand Prix of Europe, considered to be Senna's greatest drive, late night Saturday, May 29th, at 2:30am ET/11:30pm PT.

It really is sad. :(

Andrew Longman
04-23-04, 11:43 AM
Nice, easily understood presentation

It makes only passing reference to air disruption. An excellent piece I saw on, I believe, The Discovery Channel, talked also about the newly adopted safety car could not lead the cars at a speed sufficient to keep the correct heat in the tires. The cooler tires lowered the ride height, causing the car to bottom out on the bumps. Bottoming out momentarily reduced the airflow under the car to zero and hence a big portion of the aero downforce.

That's not inconsistent with the BBC explanation, just a bit different perspective and add a major contributing factor (safety car and rideheight)

Joe in LA
04-23-04, 12:31 PM
The car was bottoming a lot--and a lot more than Schumacher's behind him.

oddlycalm
04-24-04, 01:41 PM
Nice to actually know what the telemetry data actually revealed. :thumbup:

oc

Ankf00
04-24-04, 09:43 PM
funny, a guy tonight is trying to tell me how all these videos he has proves senna's wheel broke...

Jervis Tetch 1
04-24-04, 10:36 PM
It's just so hard to believe it's coming up on 10 years. I couldn't believe it when Kurt Cobain's 10th anniversary of his death came up and I can't believe it for Ayrton Senna.

I know we ALL miss that yellow helmet with the green and blue stripes.

jonovision_man
04-25-04, 04:55 PM
Nice, easily understood presentation

It makes only passing reference to air disruption. An excellent piece I saw on, I believe, The Discovery Channel, talked also about the newly adopted safety car could not lead the cars at a speed sufficient to keep the correct heat in the tires. The cooler tires lowered the ride height, causing the car to bottom out on the bumps. Bottoming out momentarily reduced the airflow under the car to zero and hence a big portion of the aero downforce.

That's not inconsistent with the BBC explanation, just a bit different perspective and add a major contributing factor (safety car and rideheight)

Seems to be the prevalent theory, at least everywhere but in the Italian prosecutor's office! :rolleyes:

Those high-speed turns were fantastic to watch, but as F1 progresses they're quickly becoming a thing of the past. Imola has never been the same, and the new circuits are being designed with slow and medium-speed corners.

120-R has been reprofiled, how long before Eau Rouge is destroyed? :thumdown:

Surely things can be made safe and fast?

jono

jonovision_man
04-25-04, 05:13 PM
The Senna crash video:
http://www.cineca.it/HPSystems/Vis.I.T/Researches/Senna/movie.html

Looks very much like Williams theory is correct, from the on-board you see him turn in (left) quickly then correct (all happens fast, though, don't blink).

Anyway, doesn't matter all that much, he was a race car driver and sometimes they are killed. Besides, F1 has changed so much safety-wise that it's not really relevant to today's racing.

The biggest threat to safety in today's racing is the IRL... but that's another debate.

jono