PDA

View Full Version : The Real Announcer Question....

L1P1
04-22-04, 10:42 PM
Jenkins or Posey?

chop456
04-22-04, 10:44 PM
Kinda' like: "Burning or drowning?"

Ziggy
04-22-04, 10:46 PM
Gas Chamber, or Electric Chair?

which is a punch line for the Dion Sanders Pizza Hut commercials of several years ago.

Ziggy - Come taste the ledgend
:)

Cam
04-22-04, 10:48 PM
No No No.......... NO more Posey!!!!! My ears can't take it! :eek:

devilmaster
04-22-04, 10:51 PM
I have to be honest about something here....

Last year, at the Molson Indy, JT invited me into his house after karting one night, for a couple beers with fourrunner and a few others....

And I stole something. I'm not proud.

Ya see, he had this photo on his mantle, and I took it. I know it was a cherished heirloom of his, only upstaged by his photo that he told me he has of Donnie Beechler.

JT265, I'm sorry my friend. Just to show you that the photo is ok, and I will eventually return it, here's a scan.....

http://www.tsn.ca/personalities/images/vic_rauter.jpg

Steve

Rogue Leader
04-22-04, 11:31 PM
I met Sam Posey last summer at Limerock park, and he was the nicest guy you could ever meet. Unfortunately his health is failing he has Parkinsons disease I believe, an he isnt anywhere near the same as he was. I really felt bad, I grew up watching him on TV.

Have some respect for the guy, he was a good driver, and an ok announcer, and even though his health is failing he still has time to come down to the track and shoot the **** with some young racers.

Purple Panic
04-23-04, 08:48 AM
Jenkins or Posey?

How about adding Danny Sullivan into that mix?

Or Bobby Unser?

JT265
04-23-04, 08:59 AM
I have to be honest about something here....

Last year, at the Molson Indy, JT invited me into his house after karting one night, for a couple beers with fourrunner and a few others....

And I stole something. I'm not proud.

Ya see, he had this photo on his mantle, and I took it. I know it was a cherished heirloom of his, only upstaged by his photo that he told me he has of Donnie Beechler.

JT265, I'm sorry my friend. Just to show you that the photo is ok, and I will eventually return it, here's a scan.....

Steve

Game, set, match.

No maas, MO MAAS!!!!! :cry:

:rofl:

4wheeldrifter
04-23-04, 09:43 AM
How about adding Danny Sullivan into that mix?

Or Bobby Unser?

Damn! Beat me to him.

http://f1rejects.com/drivers/sullivan/small/sullivan-95-1.jpg

:shakehead

Mike Kellner
04-23-04, 09:56 AM
We have to get away from a "Professional Announcer". These guys all have the same problem of droningboilerplateadinfinitum, ie they say nothing of consequence continously. To make it worse, whenever the color commentator, ie a person who actually knows what they are talking about, tries to explain something of consequence, they jump in to cut it off, worried that the dumbest viewer in the universe will get bored and switch to the wet t-shirt channel. This is a fundamental problem with racing coverage. Until this template is changed to a model that more like Monday Night Football, we are not going to improve our ratings. Speed's F1 coverage does this quite nicely, and is a model we need to emulate.

I would at least like to try putting Mario in the booth. If he can't cut it, then someone else who actually knows something about the sport and the players, and can converse intelligently, inform the viewer what is going on, and liven the dull moments with good stories, and useful trivia. I feel it cannot be any racecar driver, it has to be someone who has actual long term exposure to CART/CC, and a good technical grasp of the sport. As entertaining as Darell Waltrip might be, he wouldn't get what was happening the way say Mario or Danny would. I like Bobby U, but he is so far removed from the sport today, that I beleive he has become obsolete. I don't know how connected Danny is these days. I would also give Emmo a try, if he was interested.

The mechanic thay have in the F1 booth is great too. A much different perspective. This guy watches the refuel and tells you what lap they will need another feeding.

Anyway, my idea is a three man crew of actual former participants, who both cover the race and educate the viewers, using the assumption that we are not morons. The goal would be to bring the newbees along, while imparting useful info that keeps the old timers from turning off the sound.

mk

sundaydriver2
04-23-04, 10:39 AM
We have to get away from a "Professional Announcer". These guys all have the same problem of droningboilerplateadinfinitum, ie they say nothing of consequence continously. To make it worse, whenever the color commentator, ie a person who actually knows what they are talking about, tries to explain something of consequence, they jump in to cut it off, worried that the dumbest viewer in the universe will get bored and switch to the wet t-shirt channel. This is a fundamental problem with racing coverage. Until this template is changed to a model that more like Monday Night Football, we are not going to improve our ratings. Speed's F1 coverage does this quite nicely, and is a model we need to emulate.

I would at least like to try putting Mario in the booth. If he can't cut it, then someone else who actually knows something about the sport and the players, and can converse intelligently, inform the viewer what is going on, and liven the dull moments with good stories, and useful trivia. I feel it cannot be any racecar driver, it has to be someone who has actual long term exposure to CART/CC, and a good technical grasp of the sport. As entertaining as Darell Waltrip might be, he wouldn't get what was happening the way say Mario or Danny would. I like Bobby U, but he is so far removed from the sport today, that I beleive he has become obsolete. I don't know how connected Danny is these days. I would also give Emmo a try, if he was interested.

The mechanic thay have in the F1 booth is great too. A much different perspective. This guy watches the refuel and tells you what lap they will need another feeding.

Anyway, my idea is a three man crew of actual former participants, who both cover the race and educate the viewers, using the assumption that we are not morons. The goal would be to bring the newbees along, while imparting useful info that keeps the old timers from turning off the sound.

mk

Your first and last points are excellent. No more guys who bore the **** out of me. CCWS needs someone who is going to relate to the younger viewers and who know there stuff. TK is pretty good but Jenkins is a relic from the past I'd rather not listen to.

A three man team in the booth is a great idea. Parker Johnstone did a great job at explaining things as did Jon Beekius. Too bad those guys are under contract somewhere else. We need a few more guys like that.

Corner5
04-23-04, 10:58 AM
I agree ,we need new blood. There must be some ex-racer that has the desire to broadcast and is talented enough to bring on board. :confused:

RJC1
04-23-04, 11:34 AM
worried that the dumbest viewer in the universe will get bored and switch to the wet t-shirt channel.
mk

There's a wet t-shirt channel?

Mike Kellner
04-23-04, 11:38 AM
I was only kidding, but twenty minutes into the future, who knows?

mk

gurneyfan
04-23-04, 11:40 AM
Is David Hobbs available? He's very good on those F1 Legends shows on Speed.

Mike Kellner
04-23-04, 11:54 AM
He would be my first pick, but he is working for Speed, and doing their F1. I assume that next year when Bernie puts F1 on PPV for $100/race, Hobbs will get stuck doing pickup trucks and tractor pulls for Speed.

mk

anait
04-23-04, 12:10 PM

Game, set, match.

No maas, MO MAAS!!!!!

:rofl:

rabbit
04-23-04, 12:23 PM
One name I haven't heard, but a guy I think would do a stellar job, is Mauricio Gugielmin. He's bright, articulate, well-respected by his peers, and has been around the sport for a looong time, but isn't so far removed from it that he can't still relate.

JohnHKart
04-23-04, 05:32 PM
As smart as Emmo is, I think his heavily accented english would drive everybody insane...Danny was ok to me, but maybe I was younger and ignorant, cause I also liked Scott Goodyear's 95 ESPN Intl appearances....but he didn't seem as annoying as he is now. It's funny about Posey, he was utterly horrific on the Cart shows, but I enjoyed him on the Sports Car and F1 telecasts.

John

Ziggy
04-23-04, 07:25 PM
I had not given Mo any thought either.

He would be great!

Ziggy

RTKar
04-23-04, 09:23 PM
I looked through the Autocourse 1979-1998..didn't really come across anyone that struck my fancy as being a good announcer other than Pruett. Someone who would never do it but could be very interesting would be Villeneuve. Mo Nunn would be interesting too but I'd rather see him become an owner...... or Steve Horne?..... Bill Murray did wonders for the Cubs as a one game fill for Harry Carry when he was out sick, I wonder what he would do with a Champcar race :D

ferrarigod
04-26-04, 01:05 AM
I like Sam Posey. Him Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett made a great team 2 or 3 years ago for Speedvision. I miss those days, but I'll take Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett over anything with Dick Rebruhle

Riverside
04-26-04, 02:31 AM
Vic Rauter Rules!!!! :D

Kiwifan
04-26-04, 03:42 AM
When I first tuned in to CART I was so impressed with the announcers, we had Ben Edwards (a rock, sensible) and Jeremy Shaw (kid in a candy store) on the LIVE feed and Bob Vasha and Danny Sullivan on the replays. Chuck in Jon and Gary in the pits and it was heaven. Ah, nothing like the good old days.

We must rebuild guys, we must.

Rusty.

audi quattro
04-26-04, 08:39 AM
Vic Rauter Rules!!!! :D

How about the battling vics?

Madmaxfan2
04-26-04, 09:49 AM
The real announcer question should be "Why do we keep putting up with these clowns representing our sport?" If you were to compare the best "announcers" of our sport to the stick and ball announcers, we should be ashamed. New talent is the answer.

stroker
04-26-04, 09:54 AM
As long as we're digging up old bones, what about Chris Economaki?

BAHAHAHAHAHAH!

(is he still alive?)

Of course, we could always get Jackie Stewart, too... When he'd get excited his voice would go up so frikkin' high only the dogs could hear him.

If you want to have some fun, try imagining a Champ Car race called by Jesse Ventura. :)