PDA

View Full Version : IRL on road courses

pchall
04-22-04, 03:41 PM
I snagged this link off crappies and thought it needed to be promulgated here.

http://www.oregonlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/sports/1082635529318780.xml?oregonian?spm

This story has a comment from Tracy about what he has heard about crapwagon performance at Mid-Ohio tests. Apparently Paul has heard that IRL cars are 4 seconds a lap slower at M-O than Atlantics.

That puts them way behind the highly restricted ALMS cars, which where slower than Lights the first year they ran at M-O. And ALMS runs 400 or so pounds heavier than IRL with what might be the same 650 HP.

Mike Kellner
04-22-04, 03:42 PM
They need street races to complete the visions.

mk

Madmaxfan2
04-22-04, 03:43 PM
Lap times are just a number. Tony the great has stated so many times.

Brickman
04-22-04, 03:48 PM
I snagged it too and posted it at TF.

I honestly think it's PT's PR for keeping Portland. "So if that's what the (Portland) fans want to watch, then they need to make that decision for themselves." I very much doubt the 240 horsepower Atlantic car is faster. Now if it were Miami then maybe the tightness of the circuit would render the horepower useless.

Time will tell if these cars are worth a damn on road courses or not. If they aren't then they need to stick to the ovals or back to the drawing board again.

JT265
04-22-04, 03:53 PM
Indianapolis IN. April 23, 2004 For Immediate Release.
IMS today announced that in an effort to prop up the sagging field for the "Greatest Debacle in Racing", as well as extending an olive branch to the people on the OWRS side of the split, IMS Properties have extended an invitation to perrenial Atlantic back markers Bob Siska and Dave Cutler to enter there Atlantic equipment on all road course events held by the Indy Racing League IndyCar(c) Series starting in 2005. Interviewed behind a tree at Portland International raceway, series director Brian Branhart was quoted as saying "those boys are deserving of a place in the hallowed history of "Indianapolis Car Racing"

:rofl:

JT265
04-22-04, 03:57 PM
I snagged it too and posted it at TF.
I very much doubt the 240 horsepower Atlantic car is faster. Now if it were Miami then maybe the tightness of the circuit would render the horepower useless.

Well, Brick, I very much don't doubt they are faster.

An Atlantic car from 0-60 will smoke both a ChampCar and an F1 machine (at least the 1999 versions of both), and develop more undertray downforce than both cars. Considering the relatively short straights at M-O, I can believe this.

This concludes your schooling for today.

racer2c
04-22-04, 04:11 PM
Had the crapwagons gone to a sequential gearbox in '99? Is '99 when they tested at M-O?
I bet $50 I could beat Sarah at M-O on my 700 Intruder. :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
04-22-04, 04:18 PM
Eww, the IRL tested at Mid-Ohio?

Napoleon
04-22-04, 04:43 PM
Has any one seen any other reports of an IRL car at Mid-Ohio?

Don Quixote
04-22-04, 04:58 PM
Eww, the IRL tested at Mid-Ohio?

:laugh: Kinda makes one sick, doesn't it?

Don Quixote
04-22-04, 05:01 PM
Has any one seen any other reports of an IRL car at Mid-Ohio?

I'm sure someone would have heard the loud farting noise on the Amish countryside.

skidmarks
04-22-04, 05:14 PM
Lotta cows up there.

JT265
04-22-04, 05:20 PM
Had the crapwagons gone to a sequential gearbox in '99?

Well, they DID have Billy Bump, but I don't know if he is sequential or not. ;)

RTKar
04-22-04, 06:59 PM
I snagged this link off crappies and thought it needed to be promulgated here.

http://www.oregonlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/sports/1082635529318780.xml?oregonian?spm

This story has a comment from Tracy about what he has heard about crapwagon performance at Mid-Ohio tests. Apparently Paul has heard that IRL cars are 4 seconds a lap slower at M-O than Atlantics.

That puts them way behind the highly restricted ALMS cars, which where slower than Lights the first year they ran at M-O. And ALMS runs 400 or so pounds heavier than IRL with what might be the same 650 HP.

So help me with the math....a 200 mile earl race becomes the 12 hours of MO? :gomer:

Mike Kellner
04-22-04, 07:17 PM
But, was it the cars or drivers? Who was testing there? If it was Racin' Slick Gardner, Tony Stewart, and Sarah, is that really a good test?

mk

scanman
04-22-04, 09:05 PM
I imagine that was with the 3.5 L...

It will be like watching grass grow with the 3 L... :shakehead

cart7
04-22-04, 09:51 PM
So help me with the math....a 200 mile earl race becomes the 12 hours of MO? :gomer:
:rofl:

Boss302
04-23-04, 01:37 AM
Well, Brick, I very much don't doubt they are faster.

An Atlantic car from 0-60 will smoke both a ChampCar and an F1 machine (at least the 1999 versions of both), and develop more undertray downforce than both cars. Considering the relatively short straights at M-O, I can believe this.

This concludes your schooling for today.

Are the 1999 Atlantics cars the same today that they were then? Also, does a 2004 IRL car produce more or less undertray downforce than today's Atlantic?

Thanks, professor JT256.

I look forward to your answer. :)

Lizzerd
04-23-04, 01:56 AM
I'll answer for JT... Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Are the 1999 Atlantics cars the same today that they were then? :)

Very much so.

Also, does a 2004 IRL car produce more or less undertray downforce than today's Atlantic?

Far less. The vast majority of an irl (lower case intended) car's downforce is from the barn door wings. They have "flat" undertrays.