PDA

View Full Version : Beginning of the End for Silverstone? BE acquires rights to the Brit GP

devilmaster
04-21-04, 11:59 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?ID=80871&hubName=auto_racing

Gotta like that. You acquire rights to a race, AND get money to the tune of 93 million for acquiring it. :eek:

Steve

Corner5
04-21-04, 12:39 PM
That BE ,he's a sly one! ;)

Don't you think he's going to keep the F1 race there? :confused:

I do,they need a race in Britain.It's on the schedule for nov.7

RTKar
04-21-04, 07:22 PM
It wouldn't be F1 without a British GP.

Railbird
04-21-04, 08:35 PM
Interesting

Frank Williams says it's impossible to read Bernie's mind but one would hope that he's going to do the right thing.

Kahauna Dreamer
04-21-04, 11:23 PM
It wouldn't be F1 without a British GP.

I know it's a stupid stupid question, but I really don't care what anybody thinks...
...if not Silverstone, then where else would they go in the UK?
:confused:

extramundane
04-21-04, 11:24 PM
Interesting

Frank Williams says it's impossible to read Bernie's mind [...]

On the contrary:

http://home.comcast.net/~w.williamwade/bernie.jpg

chop456
04-22-04, 06:07 AM
http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlines/news/detail/040422102601.shtml

Britain set to lose GP In 2005

Silverstone

Britain will not host Formula One beyond July if a new promoter fails to step forward and vow to immediately bring the Silverstone circuit up to scratch.

That's the latest warning of F1 impresario Bernie Ecclestone.

The FOM chief acquired the promotional rights to the race earlier this week in a move which put it in real danger of making a hole for his new wave of F1 venues.

'I'd be delighted if [F1] were to go ahead at Silverstone,' said Ecclestone.

PADDOCK COMPLEX

He told the Daily Telegraph that Silverstone, located in rural Northamptonshire and owned by the British Racing Drivers' Club, should look closely at Bahrain.

'That's what facilities should look like,' Bernie, 73, continued.

'Silverstone has to fall in line. I put a chunk of money into it and all I saw were new car parks - they're nice but we need a new pit and paddock complex.

'Unless the BRDC do this, there will not be a grand prix in the UK in 2005.'

Source GMM / CAPSIS International

JT265
04-22-04, 08:19 AM
I know it's a stupid stupid question, but I really don't care what anybody thinks...
...if not Silverstone, then where else would they go in the UK?
:confused:

Where ever they can get sanction to advertise smokes, KD.

Yep, it's that sad.
:thumdown:

Corner5
04-22-04, 04:49 PM
Yes, I guess he's calling their bluff and trying to make the somebody pay to upgrade Silverstone or its off. :(
Bernie speaks-
from Autosport.com

"I would welcome a new promoter coming forward and I would be delighted if the British Grand Prix goes ahead at Silverstone," said Ecclestone. "It's the only possible circuit in the country [that has the facilities and licence to hold the race], but it has to come up to scratch.

"We saw at the last race in Bahrain what facilities should be like. The standard has been raised by the new venues and Silverstone has to fall into line. BRDC has got a lot of land there and it's still receiving rent from Interpublic. On the back of that, they can raise the necessary cash and invest in the circuit.

"I have put a chunk of my own money in. All I have seen for it are new car parks. They are very necessary, but we need a new pit and paddock complex too. Unless the BRDC does this, there will not be another grand prix in the UK in 2005."

nissan gtp
04-22-04, 08:26 PM
I'd rather see Brands Hatch's GP circuit brought up to full FIA standard.

The "modern" Silverstone is about this exciting:

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00008WFFJ.02.LZZZZZZZ

TrueBrit
04-22-04, 10:53 PM
I would love to see the British GP return to Brands Hatch, a far more challenging and exciting venue, but the cash needed to "upgrade" it is almost strastospheric. Plus, the track plan that was floated a few years ago would have totally bastardized the old track and made it into another 'point and squirt' cookie-cutter type track...The only saving grace is that it would still be located in some of the prettiest countryside on the face of the planet, and the pubs serve the best beer in the universe...

The fact that it is less then five miles from my home village has NOTHING to do with my opinion in this matter... ;)