PDA

View Full Version : Feedback for ChampCar Broadcast

Spicoli
04-21-04, 11:38 AM
OK - here's your chance!

Its been suggested we do a feedback of the broadcast for the upper level management @ CCWS. You'll need to get your answers in by Friday early AM, so we can send them to DE.

A: What are the 3 things you would change and why?

B: What are the 3 things you liked and why?

This is for the broadcast only - so don't give answers about "push to pass" or stuff like that.

Have at it. Thanks.

skidmarks
04-21-04, 11:51 AM
2. No commercials on HDnet
3. J. Shaw Commentary

Dis-Likes:
1. Bob Jenkins, total lack of preparation.
2. Use more in car shots, perhaps as a PIP, or even a split screen with leading/trailing cars. Even with images not being HD the impact of riding along is worth the loss in quality.
3. Bob Jenkins. Did I mention he sucked?

rosawendel
04-21-04, 11:58 AM

dislikes:
1. jenkins was stiff (well, most of the cast was stiff). maybe it was "opening day jitters".
2. no pit-driver radio communication?
3. more lipstick cameras.
4. minimal pre-race and post-race coverage.

BZSetshot
04-21-04, 12:35 PM
Well, hello everyone! As a first post couldn't resist offering my opinion, specially if it might help our beloved series:

Dislike
1.- Bob Jenkins - Seemed unprepared and uncomfortable. Names mis-pronunciation was unacceptable. Calling individual car by just their color without being able to recognize who the driver is was not professional. I know some color schemes are very similar between teammates but that's why he's being paid to be there.
2.- Dangerous Curves during Green Flag - I liked DC but not during green, specially since it was presented earlier. Great for new fans and driver recognition but takes away from the race. For the material that was not shown during the regular DC show, perhaps a split screen type presentation if Yellow Flag conditions do not present themselves.
3.- Lack of coverage of full field - Too focused on front runners when there was action happening around the track. Today’s field is more even and not everyone can win. Giving each driver some time on TV gives their sponsors some needed airtime and creates recognition for drivers.

1.- Widescreen format - allows to see more of what's happening. Gives a more modern, advanced and high-tech feel to the broadcast.
2.- Introduction - The words by PG at the beginning where great. Allows the viewer to feel spoken too and taken into consideration. The "and now for something different" phrase fit perfectly.
3.- Dangerous Curves - Great to start creating driver recognition and general awareness. Specially into the new market segments that CCWS seems to be targeting. Bronte was very good and I like her accent, different and gives a flair of internationality.

I also was pleasantly surprised by the varied amount of commercials that where shown. I don't mind them since they are necessary as long as we get a quick recap by the commentators when we come back. Plus, RD was commercial free :D

Cheers!

sundaydriver2
04-21-04, 12:39 PM
Exactly what BZ said.

:thumbup:

Wabbit
04-21-04, 01:02 PM
Like:
1 - Broadcast was more professional than on Speed. The "Good ole boy" attitude is gone from the broadcasters. More focus on race rather than banter between personalities. A little more preperation by the announcers would have been nice, but should improve.

2 - Letterbox format was great. Stats weren't blocking out the race.

3 - NO NASCAR COMMERCIALS!!!!

Dislike:
1 - Seems like a lot of the race was missing due to too many repeat segments from Dangerous Curves.

2 - Did we really need to see commericals for the IRL? I know that Toyota sponsored the race, and liked the Atlantic commercials.

3 - What happened to pit timing can shots and in-car cameras

4 - The west coast can never see a live race.

5 - Where were the post race interviews?

Corner5
04-21-04, 01:21 PM
I agree with everything said so far,just want to add one thing-

Make the Race Director video cameras feature compatible with my Mac! :saywhat:

I want pictures!

Spicoli
04-21-04, 01:21 PM
FYI - the deadline is for noon CST. - TOMORROW (Thursday)

Thanks. :)

Tim
04-21-04, 01:29 PM
1. Wide screen
2. Technical pieces
3. TK is the man

Dis-likes:

1. Jenkins name pronounciation
2. Lifestyle pices during green flag racing

I thought it was a great telecast overall. A couple friends of mine are looking into going to Milwaukee after watching there first champcar race.

BobN
04-21-04, 01:30 PM
Dislike:

4 - The west coast can never see a live race.

This is the main one. The population on the West Coast is way too big to do this to. Was it really important to Spike to air an old James Bond movie at 1:00pm on Sunday? The nation should get the whole thing live. There is no legitimate excuse to treat the WC as an unimportant market by showing tape delay. If the powers that be think it is important enough for the East Coast to get live coverage, someone better wake up to the fact that California would be the world's 5th largest economy if it were a stand alone country.

Cam
04-21-04, 01:34 PM

I want pictures!

The problem here is not so much the Winblows media, but the Winblows DRM crap that they are using to secure the content! :shakehead

Corner5
04-21-04, 01:42 PM
The problem here is not so much the Winblows media, but the Winblows DRM crap that they are using to secure the content! :shakehead

Exactly,my windows media player works great on other sites.
:saywhat:

jdcooper
04-21-04, 01:43 PM
Goods:
Production quality; camera angles, co-ordination, direction
Dangerous curves (but not to be repeated during green-flag racing)
Pit interviews
Kendall, Fisch, Daly

Others:
Need pit-to-car radio feed.
Helmet visor cameras (two drivers and pit crew members)
rotatable scanning cameras on cars (fwd/aft/side shots)
more speed/rpm/g load type data shown in the corner of in-car shots
need more Bronte live during the race
post race interviews with finishers: need more
how about a guest mechanic or engineer in the booth like Steve Matchett in F1 ? He really adds a lot to the quality of the team.

Overall a super first broadcast. A little more hardware, software, and personell utilization and it will put the other networks to shame !

Press On ! :)

Dave99
04-21-04, 01:44 PM
For Spike TV broadcast only:

2- Coverage of pre and post race was tolerable due to TV window, though I'd prefer a 2 1/2 hour time slot.
3- Tommy Kendall

Dislikes
1- "Jenks"! I'd like to see the races called by someone who knows and cares about the product such as Larry Henry, Ned Wicker, Tom Michaels, Jeremy Shaw or Leigh Diffey.
2- The top-three graphic at bottom of screen. Unnecessary. We can figure that out from the scrolling running-order graphic at the top of the screen every 17 seconds.
3- Dress code. Yellow Polo shirts? If the broadcasters in the booth are no longer required to wear a coat and tie, at least require them to wear a ChampCar button down.

JoeBob
04-21-04, 01:58 PM
I'm not ready to hang Jenkins out to dry just yet, but I'd like to see better prep from him. He and TK seemed to have decent chemistry, and if Jenkins can get his act together, we might end up with the best booth team ChampCars have ever had. (Or maybe I'm just terrified that if Jenkins gets the heave ho, he'll be replaced with some X Games Cast-off.)

I loved the widescreen, but it looked like some of the cameramen were still picking shots that would still look right for a 4x3 screen. There was a little too much extraneous stuff at the edges of the picture. Since everyone is getting letterbox, the shots can be tightened a little to fill the frame. (Or maybe they're still sending 4x3 to the international folks?)

Cut back on the fluff during green flag racing - worst case scenario, you have some nice stuff in the can for the next race. Just because you have one of Bronte pieces done doesn't mean you have to use it.

Turn7
04-21-04, 02:22 PM
In order of importance w/ 1 being the most important

1) Letterbox format- Allowed the graphics to be shown with minimal effect on the total viewable picture

2) The introduction to the program

3) A set time that I can expect to view a race

Dislikes

1) The rough intros back to racing from a commercial break.

2) Fluff pieces were to long to be shown during green flag action. I realize that that effect will be minimized during races that are tape delayed if they can inject them at times that are well suited for it post fact.

3) The lack of preparation that the broadcast team appeared to have. I am not going to point a finger at an individual because I feel that they can improve and be a good team if they work together and prepare properly.

racer2c
04-21-04, 02:26 PM
In order of importance w/ 1 being the most important

Dislikes

2) Fluff pieces were to long to be shown during green flag action. I realize that that effect will be minimized during races that are tape delayed if they can inject them at times that are well suited for it post fact.

That was also my biggest complaint. No fluff during green please.

cart7
04-21-04, 02:30 PM
Wide screen format.

More focus on what was going on in race.

Less bantor between booth personalities and TK seemed a little more reserved.

Dislikes:

The video quality wasn't quite as crisp as I thought it would be.

Please, sit Jenkins down and go over pronunciation of driver names with him.

NO EARL COMMERCIALS DURING THE RACE! :flame:

That is all.

BTW, for race director, let us know what each of the camera views is showing us. Camera 1, camera 2, etc. isn't cutting it.

Fitti Fan
04-21-04, 02:33 PM
1. HDNet
2. No commercials on HDNet
3. Jeremy Shaw on HDNet

Dislikes:

1. Poor announcing of the actual "race" by Jenkins/Kendall.
2. Fluff during green.
3. Need additional cameras (visor, etc.), and additional graphics (pit stop
times, etc.)

pchall
04-21-04, 02:43 PM

I want pictures!

At this point I'm not concerned with the Race Director video being available for my Mac.

All I would really like is to have the broadcast audio feed available to run along with Timing and Scoring. I could get T&S to run in a window on Netscape 7.1, but audio requires that stupid and unworkable Winmedia for Mac OSX.

ChampcarShark
04-21-04, 03:28 PM
2.- Widescreen format, with running order and information on the black areas od the screen.
3.- Dangerous Curves.

Dislikes:
1.- Dangerous curves scheduled time. I feel the show can be used as a preshow to the race and be scheduled closer to the green flag presentation od the race.
2.- The lack of telemetry during in-car cameras. Telemetry will aid the casual, and new, fan to have a better undestanding of how hard the driver's work. G's, speed, gear would be awesone.
3.- Lots of breaks during green flag. Dangerous curves is a good program, but it does not have to be repeated during the race.

my .02

Purple Panic
04-21-04, 04:02 PM
Lose:
A) Bob Jenkins. Looked like he was bored stiff, no enthusiasm, can't pronounce names worth s***, worst commentator ChampCar has had outside of Bobby Unser.
B) Most of the random filler during green conditions. One piece or two here is okay if nothing's going on and you really need one, but not the amount we got.
C) Bronte. Unless she's actually going to talk during the broadcast for more than five seconds, why bother? Otherwise, she's just T&A to try to attract more male viewers and if she's not there for more than five seconds, she's not accomplishing that.

Keep:
A) Tommy Kendall. He's off the wall and can be a lot of fun; just give him somebody better to bounce off.
B) Relevant commercials. No NASCRAP because Spike doesn't broadcast any or doesn't seem to be affiliated with any stations that do.
C) Nice intro. A few minutes before the race started to talk about the season and stuff is great. A few minutes after the race to talk to more of the drivers would be useful, too.

Overall: Good Job! A!

HolyCrap
04-21-04, 05:21 PM
Just watched the tape of the race.
Just one suggestion:

Holy Crap!
Jenkins is terrible...who makes these decisions?
He's a generic-sounding, droll, and got to go... :shakehead

I promise you I'D be better in the slot in a heartbeat....and ready to report to duty on the broadcast team in Milwaukee!

Dave99
04-21-04, 05:39 PM
Something else I liked seeing during the broadcast (mostly for the new viewers):

Promoting the fact that there is a full season of races throughout the country (and world), not just the LBGP.

Continuing to do so (including using crowd shots, exciting on-track highlights as well as podium champagne celebrations) will convey to the new viewers what we already know... that ChampCar is still the best racing series out there.

Also, promote the official OWRS/CCWS website during the broadcasts for people who may want more general and/or technical information on the series, teams and drivers.

Formula 409
04-21-04, 05:40 PM
Likey:
1. The graphics were slick and polished.
2. Derek, Calvin, Tommy and even Jenkins make a good team. With experience they could easily be the best out there.
3. Camera angles were better than I expected. The crane shot around the fountain was cool. With a new production team, I expected slightly awkward shots. We almost missed the first turn incident entirely, though.

No Likey:
1. The outdoor announce booth. If that's going to be a part of the "look" of the broadcast, the lighting needs a lot of work. Same goes with Bronte's remotes.
2. Pre-taped pieces. Racing is one of those sports you need to keep your eyes on and any interruption is distracting and annoying. If the race up front is slowing down, please focus on the field at large and look for close racing. If you want to educate fans about the drivers, keep the segment to under twenty seconds.
3. Bad on-air preparation. A lot of folks are bashing Jenkins, but the blame can be spread amongst the booth and the director. It seemed clear that the three were not in sync, with Kendall breaking off many of his observations in mid-thought and Jenkins tripping over himself as if someone was talking in his ear all the time.

And could someone fix the Digital Rights Management on Race Director so Macs can use it?

Lizzerd
04-21-04, 05:59 PM
I think we ought to give Jenkins a chance. Too many roundy rounds have caused his head to spin and it hasn't stopped. He needs to learn how to look both ways again and do a little bit of preparation.

I didn't mind the Bronte bits so much. I'm curious what they would do if there were an incident or significant pass during the middle of one, though.

They need more better pit reporting, including cameras.

Follow the mid-pack races more.

The variety of commercials was great (not just ChampCar tooting their own horn and Bridgestone), but the amount too high (I know, they gotta make a buck, but it seemed too many to me).

That is all...

Ziggy
04-21-04, 06:22 PM
Hello

I have seen every CART race ever shown save Fontana on the rain out. I have also attendend 54 CART races.

1. The camera angles and the crew keeping up with a car or certain action from sector to sector.

2. No commercials on HDTV, very nice

3. Tom Kendall in booth (or whatever that was)

Dislikes

1. There is always a story to be told of racing in the rear of the field. Be it a guy on a charge due to some misfortune, or a guy who just started poorly and is on a charge. We would like to see this, especially on a Street Course where the leader had just flat checked out. Somebody was racing someone, show that.

2. Have your announcers learn the cars numbers and what driver is behind the wheel. There is no excuse for mispronouncing the drivers name. NONE! The cars that are sponsored need to have the company paying the bills mentioned even if that car is getting lapped. If you show more of the racing behind the leaders, everyone feels like they are getting some return on their investment. Example, there are no "yellow cars" rather, the yellow car from Dale Coyne Racing.

3. Explain to Mr. Bob Jenkins that this series intends to be around for longer than one month. He appears boring and uninterested. While the tone of his voice is reconized by motorsports fans everywhere, he might as well been commenting on a checkers tournament. Give him another race or two. If he does not get better, tack on a glowing recomendation to his resume and send him back to where his heart is, IMS.

Ziggy

Madmaxfan2
04-21-04, 07:39 PM
Ziggy, I think Jenkin's IMS connections have turned to junk. Jenkins used to be the top radio guy for the IMS speedway radio network, just like Page before him. The gomers at TF can't stand Page and yet Page is doing the IRL TV broadcasts and Jenkins is apparently shut out. No glowing recommendation on Jenkins resume will get him back his IRL gig. Jenkins must have had a moment of truth before TG's presence and has been rewarded appropreiately.

Insomniac
04-21-04, 07:42 PM
1. I liked the "wide screen" format on Spike and use of the black areas for race information.
2. Tommy Kendall. The race wasn't the most exciting, so the commentary helps during that time when their isn't much going on track to talk about. TK continues to keep me entertained.
3. Fixed time slot and promoting the next race.

Suggested Changes:

1. I would like to see the bottom are put to better use. Why not use it to give us additional information/statistics. Things like:

Dominguez entered the pits from P5
Dominguez exited the pits in P8
Lavin has been given a drive through penalty for exceeding the pit lane speed limit.
Bourdais has just turned the fastest lap at 102.437 MPH
Tracy has 37 seconds of juice left
Junquiera is .783 seconds faster on the option tire

Don't scroll this stuff. Put it up for a few seconds and remove it. I can't remember if the scroll at the top showed the manufacturer or tire for each car, but use the bottom to display their logo. All the cars have the same engine and tires.

2. Re-using the dangerous curves material. I felt like I wasted my time watching dangerous curves. This doesn't seem like a good idea to re-show that during the race. Especially during the green flag.

3. Bob Jenkins and Tommy Kendall didn't go too well together. It's like ABC adding Dennis Miller to MNF. Only this time, Bob is the one who seems out of place. I hope they can gel better, but it would take a dramatic improvement for that pair to work together.

Thank you for bringing us ChampCar!

pineapple
04-21-04, 08:32 PM
Lot of stuff already covered.

1. Pre-race show is good. Just move it closer to the actual start time of the race, and PLEASE don't re-air it during the race (especially right after 5 minutes of commercials).

2. Highlight the INTERNATIONAL aspect of ChampCars. Mention the exotic locations in which they race, throw in a few quick shots of some of the places like Surfers, Mexico City, Toronto. Tie this in with the international list of drivers.

3. Do some serious promotion of upcoming races during the current race. Rather than a repeat of Dangerous Curves during the race broadcast, a brief mention with some quick shots of the upcoming race. This will give people the idea that it's a series with a full season of races all over the world.

4. Get some "restrained" excitement in the booth. If the booth can't do it, then show the reaction to what's happening on the track through crowd shots. Show that people are actually enjoying their time at the track.

5. Please show more of the action in the middle or rear of the pack. Combine this footage with some info on the bottom of the screen, such as Lavin is dicing it out with Haberfeld for 8th, he started in 12th and has worked his way up the ranks by using some good passing moves in Turn 9.

6. Can we have a technical guy in the booth (a la Steve Matchett, as has already been mentioned) and some more pit reporting? When 5 cars pit at the same time, I would like to see reports from those pits about the strategy, what was done in the pits, etc. Plus the sounds of the engines at the pit level is just too good to pass up.

7. More in-car cameras. How about a lap in silence (no commentary) we just get to listen - and turn up the volume when you do this. I want to hear engines and tires!

8. Interview the fans at the tracks - just brief comments interspersed throughout the broadcast showing the fan reaction to something momentous happening on the track.

9. Mention the support races. Remind the audience that the future stars are racing in the support series. Mention the times the support series races will be broadcast (if they will be) or at least the results.

10. No, repeat no, NASCAR, IRL, F-1, go-kart, Kentucky Derby, swamp buggy, whatever commercials at all, at no time during a ChampCar broadcast. I'm sick of them crashing our party.

11. More commercials during the week leading up to the race; saturate the air with the commercials on Fridays. Coordinate the races with the movies shown prior to the race - show some popular movies set in Mexico throughout the week just before the Mexican races (3 Amigos, Once Upon a Gun, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, etc.) and play the heck out of ChampCar commercials advertising that race. Give it a catchy, identifiable name.

12. Whoever rides in the 2-seater has to come on the air and relate his/her experience in the pre-race broadcast.

13. During the pre-race driver info bit when the starting grid is being shown, show the driver's face next to his car, along with his car number. Also, this would be a good time to mention the sponsors. "Starting in row 4, position 7, is Florida native Ryan Hunter-Reay, driving the number xx car, sponsored by xxxxxx. He finished 5th last week at xxxx, and is looking to improve that this week."

14. Mention the web sites, display them on the bottom of the screen. Mention the Race Director.

Kink
04-21-04, 08:58 PM
It is an insult to have Jenkins on a professional ChampCar broadcast in the first place.
Nevermind his inept performance once he got the chance.

ChampCar is too valuable a product to be degraded by Jenkins :mad:

Cam
04-21-04, 10:27 PM
Good!

1. live feeds!

2. live feeds!

3. live feeds!

Bad!

1. Microsoft DRM!

2. Microsoft DRM!

3. Microsoft DRM!

champcarfan01
04-21-04, 11:18 PM
1. TK
2. Race Director
3. Bronte (very hot)

Dislikes

1. Jenkins lack of any prep what so ever. i was trying to give him a chance but wow. Im a college student...kinda reminds me of waking up the morning of a test without studying and trying to get an A. Misprounouncing the names of half of the drivers is pathetic and a slap in the face to those of us who are huge supporters.

2. Besides Jenkins the production team needs to get things together and make a smoother race package instead of looking like they dont know what they are doing.

3. lifestyle segments may have been a tad over the top. work with interesting camera angles. I want to hear the change in engine tone when the push to pass button is hit. Lets see that next race!

DjDrOmusic
04-22-04, 03:00 AM
I would have liked to see more in car, helmet cams, pit action, back of the pack shots. I think Bob Jenkins is just too polished to be taken seriously, like an animitronic robot from an amusement park, plus he needs a heartfelt discussion with us(the fans) about his IRL shilling last year when he defended IMS, TG and the IRL like a wounded animal defends itself.

I didn't like the fact that Toyota was allowed to use the IRL commercials. I know advertising and I know that a sponsor has quite a bit of say, but I do know that any station, network or business can refuse certain types of material and that should be one.

The Spike promos were great, but it's sort of like preaching to the choir when they run them during the Champcar events. But use your best asset to sell the series, instead of Ryan Hunter-Reay picking up a beautiful woman in the two seater, have Danica Patrick picking up a man! Afterall Spike is the network for men, use Danica to your advantage.

One more thing, it's time to go for the knockout puch with TG, start promoting Champcar history, which includes his race up until 1995. He can't counter with anything that's positive other than a convicted mugger in a vampire costume.

Adder
04-22-04, 08:31 AM
For international coverage on Motors TV which relayed the HDnet broadcast in SD with some commercials:

1. Jeremy Shaw, please have more of him on the international feed!
2. Pit coverage was superb we have had next to no pit coverage on international broadcasts since Champ Car split with ESPN, more Calvin and Derek please!
3. Telemetry graphics - push to pass timers...

DISLIKES

1. Far, far, far too many features and nowhere near enough concentration on the track action.
2. The crawler was good, but the top three on the bottom of the screen is far too frequent, can this area be used alternatly for other information and less often as it makes he screen very cluttered.
3. Bob Jenkins ... he tried to be over-dominant on the broadcast, didn't give Tommy Kendall enough time or opportunity to ad analysis, miss pronounced names and seemed occassionally lost about what was going on, but this maybe due to the poor coverage the actual race action got confusing everyone to what was going on.

fourrunner
04-22-04, 09:14 AM
I didn't see this above but was that Jeremy Shaw doing the "high speed" updates during the HDNet Broadcast during the commercial Gaps? Or was it Guy Hobbs who I believe did it for HDNet last year on the Showcase Broadcasts.

Jeremy Shaw was mentioned for the International Feed but did he do double duty ?

Whoever it was was fabulous ... crammed a lot of info into a short time frame and was flawless !! :thumbup:

Curious Minds Want To Know !!

Adder
04-22-04, 09:26 AM
I didn't see this above but was that Jeremy Shaw doing the "high speed" updates during the HDNet Broadcast during the commercial Gaps? Or was it Guy Hobbs who I believe did it for HDNet last year on the Showcase Broadcasts.

Jeremy Shaw was mentioned for the International Feed but did he do double duty ?

Whoever it was was fabulous ... crammed a lot of info into a short time frame and was flawless !! :thumbup:

Curious Minds Want To Know !!

Basically the international feed was the HDnet feed converted to SD minus the 30 min pre-race show.

So it was indeed Jeremy Shaw on HDnet filling the gaps in the Jenkins/Kendall commentary which we could also hear internationally unless our local stations also chose that time to take a break.

The last thing I saw Guy Hobbs do was the pit reporting for HDnet at Road America last year. Shame as he was very enthusiastic for Champ Car and had done ten years of broadcasting it on ESPN.

Andrew Longman
04-22-04, 11:19 AM
2: Production and creative that help define the Champcar brand as fast, cool, serious racing
3: Calvin, TK and Derek

Dislikes
1: Too many, too frequent and too long commerical breaks
2: Repeating dangerous curve segments, especially during green flags. Between those segments and the commercials it was very hard to get into the flow of the race and see strategy unfold.
3: Jenkins, but maybe I'll just have to get used to that

Chief
04-22-04, 11:36 AM
My $.02:

The only thing that counts.........

- Jenkins lacks drama in his voice unless it's spoon fed to him. I sensed an apologetic/embarassed Bob on air because of the lack of passing. Someone ought to strap ol' Bob in the two seater and show hisself what it's about. He apparently doesn't have a f'n clue. In fact, it should be a requirement to chauffeur his arse around in the two wheeler ( at speed) before he ever utters a word at a race. And, for greater effect I'd say let PT go out and play chicken with ol' Bob. Then he will get perspective. In fact....here's an idea, tape the whole ordeal complete with Bob's in-car audio of him screaming and such and air it as the "one lap around (fill in favorite track here). That'll stoke his fire.

And, when that's over, Bob needs to stick his head through the photog holes in the fence so he can see, smell and feel the power of the ChampCars. Perhaps a bit technical but it's apparent he needs to be desensitized and recharged with the sights, sound and feel of what it means to be a part of the ChampCar World Series. Right now, I'm not convinced he's a believer.

- All the rest will fall into place just fine.

pkvracing12
04-22-04, 12:22 PM
Im very impressed with ccws. I love the series with all my heart. I dont blame them for choosing Spike TV for 2004 becuase after the smoke cleard from the cart bankruptcy they had little time and little money to do anything and they worked and worked to get it on tv and they did an excellent job. I think as the series grows and becomes more fan friendly they will upgrade there tv package. As this season progressis they will get everything sorted around to make the coverage a lot better. The only complaints I have is that Bob needs to learn his driver and sponsors names and rember this is'nt the IRL. and stop with those life style things during the action.

CART T. Katz
04-22-04, 12:34 PM
anyone have the ratings?

Don Quixote
04-22-04, 12:34 PM
Chief :thumbup:

It would be worth the price of diapers to see that!

RJC1
04-22-04, 12:39 PM
1) CART is back!
2) See number 1
3) Good production overall

Dislikes:

1) Jenkins
2) Jenkins
3) Jenkins

scanman
04-22-04, 12:59 PM
Likes...Champcars are back
I think the rest will take care of itself (see below)

Dislikes...Bee Jay...need I say more, he sucks...

Spicoli
04-22-04, 01:14 PM
Thanks everyone.

I think its pretty safe to say that if we had a vote - Jenks would be back at 16th & Georgetown with Porky Page and Scooty. :laugh:

Other than that - good opinions & insight.

Thanks to all! :thumbup:

fourrunner
04-22-04, 04:11 PM
Basically the international feed was the HDnet feed converted to SD minus the 30 min pre-race show.

So it was indeed Jeremy Shaw on HDnet filling the gaps in the Jenkins/Kendall commentary which we could also hear internationally unless our local stations also chose that time to take a break.

The last thing I saw Guy Hobbs do was the pit reporting for HDnet at Road America last year. Shame as he was very enthusiastic for Champ Car and had done ten years of broadcasting it on ESPN.

Thanks Adder

I typed that question out real quick this morning before I went to work... I knew that someone would know ... that's what makes these forums great :thumbup:

Jeremy Shaw is Fabulous... Your lucky to have him on the international feed !!

Guy Hobbs was great also .... He posted at 7G last year after the High Def Race ... and accepted many thanks from those that listened... He sounded like he wouldn't mind doing Champ Car full time..

I guess the problem is who's available , when, and what the money is !

fourrunner
04-22-04, 04:23 PM
In Regards to Bronte Tagliani's pieces... I think Champ Car is in Catch-22 regarding those...

They are trying to make a significant effort with these pieces to profile the Drivers, which we all for the most part think is an important link to exposing the series. Paul Gentilozzi said that that was going to be an important part of promoting the series this year....

Well I'm sure they planned on Doing that during the Yellow Flag portions of the Race... Unfortunately except for the beginning there were no yellow flags... What to do !! There is only a 2 hour Window for these Races, and they are trying to stuff a lot into that... Buy more time would be the answer but these guys have a Business Plan & Money is being spread all over.

I'm sure that the races coming up will have more yellows so these Vanity Pieces can be put in at the appropriate times...

Just a Technicality ! :)

Dave99
04-22-04, 05:45 PM
In Regards to Bronte Tagliani's pieces...I'm sure they planned on Doing that during the Yellow Flag portions of the Race...I'm sure that the races coming up will have more yellows so these Vanity Pieces can be put in at the appropriate times...
Very astute observation, 4R. Let's hope that's the plan for next time.

Any graphics for telemetry, pitstop times, team/driver info, etc., should be in the black band at the bottom of the letterbox screen during green flag racing.

Ankf00
04-23-04, 11:45 AM
no archived races on race director? :confused:

KLang
04-23-04, 11:49 AM
no archived races on race director? :confused:

I saw a report elsewhere that it was available but my login doesn't work anymore. :confused:

Andrew Longman
04-23-04, 11:59 AM
I saw a report elsewhere that it was available but my login doesn't work anymore. :confused:

I got a new password in an email from Champcar yesterday. No explanation for the change.

Ankf00
04-23-04, 12:24 PM
I got a new password in an email from Champcar yesterday. No explanation for the change.
6 character password is alot easier to handle than a 208432048320823 character one :)

Corner5
04-23-04, 03:15 PM
One more thing---- To solve the Mac problem.

On the old CART site when they had live feeds like for the banquet and such,they gave you a choice of what you wanted to use.It was Quicktime,Real Player, or Winmedia. Quicktime is more compatible to Mac, I have found. This might be a solution.