PDA

View Full Version : Horror Story

TrishC
04-20-04, 07:15 PM
Hi
I'm new on this forum ( but am an ex 7thGear person!) so Hello to everyone
So let me tell you a horror story
Being from Australia we get our Champcar broadcasts late Monday nights !
Last Monday - all excited - start of new season - woooo hooo !
very tired Trish so set video - worked Tuesday - looking forward to watching race - avoided all results - came home - rewound video - and yep - you guessed it
TAPED THE WRONG CHANNEL !!!!!! Arrrrrrgh !!!!! :shakehead
Ah well, always next time!

RTKar
04-20-04, 07:25 PM
Welcome and...sorry to hear that. I've taped the wrong channel, the wrong time, had the tape run out with a couple laps to go, had the tape get chewed up in the VCR, had the power go out, had rain delays while I'm at the track knowing my tape is going to run out......tales of the tape.

Robstar
04-20-04, 07:25 PM
Bugger...
I do that all the time with F1 - but am yet to do it for a ChampCar race thankfully :)

PS Welcome ! :thumbup:

RTKar
04-20-04, 07:26 PM
...yea, what Robstar said too...Bugger!

nz_climber
04-20-04, 08:34 PM
Bugger - that sucks, I think we have all done somthing similar.

My main problem at the moment is taping F1 which in NZ usually starts at 11pm, race starting about 11:30ish, Anyway I can't set the timer to turn it on and off cause my VCR doesn't like travelling over day, so nothing happens at all (I have done this a few times before I figured it out)

Example

Set tape to Start on the 10th at 11pm (23:00)

Set tape to stop on at about 2am (02:00)

But when then at time of recording the VCR decides 02:00 on the 10th(assumes the same date as the start) (finish time) is before the start time of 11pm - so it doesn't think I want to tape over a day, it just sits there laughing at me thinking how dumb i must be to set the end time before the start time

lucky its only f1!

(did that make sense??)

ps/ Welcome to OC, hope you brought plenty of beer
:D

Don Quixote
04-20-04, 08:39 PM
Ever notice when a yank says "bugger" it comes of sounding awkward?

bugger, bugger, bugger.

See what i mean? :gomer:

By the way, I am the all time master of taping the wrong channel, time, or program length.

Railbird
04-20-04, 08:56 PM
Nothing quite like sitting on the hill above the keyhole listening to the broadcast crew tape their intros over the scanner and realize your VCR is taping the wrong network.

racer2c
04-20-04, 09:08 PM
Hi Trish and welcome.

My thing is that I set the timer and then go about biz glancing at the VCR from time to time and misinterpret the VCR lights thinking that it's recording when it shouldn't be. So I stop it, rewind...it wasn't wrong! I usually end up setting the auto timer about four times before I'm confident enough to leave the house. :gomer:

Kiwifan
04-20-04, 09:45 PM
Hi Trish, welcome to O/C, there are plenty of great people here.

We say 'bugger" all the time, in fact there is a very good TV add for Toyota using just that one word. It's a very clever add, shame it's for Toyota. ;)

Rusty.

Dave99
04-20-04, 09:47 PM
Welcome Trish.

I've taped the wrong channel, the wrong time, had the tape run out with a couple laps to go, had the tape get chewed up in the VCR, had the power go out, had rain delays while I'm at the track knowing my tape is going to run out...
You're a rookie. Ever enter the correct day and time but somehow the year was next year's and you didn't catch it till you got home? :cry:

:raises hand: :gomer:

nz_climber
04-20-04, 09:53 PM
Hi Trish, welcome to O/C, there are plenty of great people here.

We say 'bugger" all the time, in fact there is a very good TV add for Toyota using just that one word. It's a very clever add, shame it's for Toyota. ;)

Rusty.

Exactly - bugger is a perfectly acceptable term when down under :)

Anyway back to stupid VCR mistakes :gomer:

JT265
04-20-04, 10:05 PM
Exactly - bugger is a perfectly acceptable term when down under :)

Anyway back to stupid VCR mistakes :gomer:

How do you get the sumbitch to quit flashing....

12:00

Bugger.

Cam
04-20-04, 10:06 PM
ps/ Welcome to OC, hope you brought plenty of beer

I will take an Emu Bitter! :p

rabbit
04-20-04, 11:28 PM

Unplug it. ;)

Kiwifan
04-20-04, 11:28 PM
For alll you people who are having trouble with your VCRs, buy a P-a-n-a-s-o-n-i-c. Foolproof except once when "I" got the wrong channel. :)

Trish, what 'climber meant was, 'bring wine', we are much more civilised at this forum. :) Flame away beer drinkers. ;)

Rusty.

Cam
04-20-04, 11:34 PM
Trish, what 'climber meant was, 'bring wine', we are much more civilised at this forum. :) Flame away beer drinkers. ;)

Rusty.

Trish, Ignore the dopey K1's! :D

Sean O'Gorman
04-20-04, 11:50 PM
Unplug it. ;)

I was going to say put electrical tape over the display. :)

rabbit
04-20-04, 11:52 PM
I was going to say put electrical tape over the display. :)
Yes, but technically it would still be flashing, no? :p

JT265
04-20-04, 11:52 PM
Unplug it. ;)

IT WORKED!!!!! Thanks Rabbit!!!! :thumbup:

Hey!!! I don't need to set the timer again, right?!?!?!? :saywhat:

RaceGrrl
04-21-04, 12:05 AM
One word.

Tivo.

McB
04-21-04, 12:33 AM
I forgot to set tivo to record extra minutes before and after the race and my recording got chopped a bit too much at the beginning and end.

The long winter has made my tivo skills rust. :(

Live and learn.

Lizzerd
04-21-04, 12:57 AM
By the way, I am the all time master of taping the wrong channel, time, or program length.

Wrong. I hold that title, as well as showing up at viewing parties at the wrong tine.

ChampcarShark
04-21-04, 03:57 PM

Bugger.

Very simple. Tape a piece of cardboard, and istead of seeing 12:00, 12:00, 12:00 you will be seing a pretty picture form your kid's cereal box.

Back to topic,

A BIG WELCOME to you Thrish

nz_climber
04-21-04, 04:04 PM
For alll you people who are having trouble with your VCRs, buy a P-a-n-a-s-o-n-i-c. Foolproof except once when "I" got the wrong channel. :)

Rusty.

I remember when you put a race onto tape (I think we went to dunedin) race was rain delayed(or somthing went wrong), so we ended up missing the last 5 or so laps
;)

Kiwifan
04-21-04, 06:23 PM
You lookin' to get pushed outta a plane sonny-jim? Or under a Champ Car? :)

I remember that now. :o

Now, back to Trish. ;)

Rusty.

TrishC
04-21-04, 06:36 PM
Thank you all for the kind welcome and for the knowledge that I'm not the only electronic nitwit out here !!!!!!!!!
Sorry not a beer drinker but Wine --- mmmmmm another story ( and of course being from Down Under we have the BEST wine!!) :)

RTKar
04-21-04, 07:36 PM
Welcome Trish.

You're a rookie. Ever enter the correct day and time but somehow the year was next year's and you didn't catch it till you got home? :cry:

:raises hand: :gomer:

Done that too :D

Lizzerd
04-21-04, 07:49 PM
Here's something else I've done. My VCR has an option to automatically set the Daylight Savings adjustments. So, since race times are always announced as Eastern or Pacific time, and Indiana (The Gomer State) does not change to DST (at least in the middle, Gomer City), my tape has a couple times started an hour after the start of the race. But, NOT because I've forgotten to do the math in my head. It was because AFTER I disable the auto DST thing, there has been a power glitch or something and the damn thing reverts back to the default, which is to set it. So, why does the thing remember the start time with a glitch and not remember the settings? This has always happened when I was AT the race or not home when it started. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Maybe I'm just a Gomer in Gomer City in Gomer State, USA. :gomer:

No comments necessary...

TravelGal
04-22-04, 01:17 AM
This is one reason ONLY TravelGuy is allowed to program the VCR. I have someone to blame if it doesn't work right.

Welcome Trish! I shall toast you tomorrow with my morning coffee in my Miss Maud's mug.

JohnHKart
04-22-04, 05:46 AM
I've had my share of these problems, from 94-2001 almost all my races were taped...I still enjoy watching them on tape. The worst is the biannual "curse of Road America" and it's my favorite track of course. The curse is that every couple of years the race is ruined by rain, and so I get screwed out of watching it, thanks to the broadcast that I'm taping only a couple of hours becoming delayed. There's never a repeat after either when I need it. The curse returned again last year thanks to the off/on fiasco, and I never got around to downloading the video.

John

pkvracing12
04-22-04, 10:40 AM
Its not as bad is when my friend played a little joke on me and taped the IRL instead of the cart race at Bell Isle lets just say the tape penetrated the window well! :)

TravelGal
04-22-04, 02:04 PM
Its not as bad is when my friend played a little joke on me and taped the IRL instead of the cart race at Bell Isle lets just say the tape penetrated the window well! :)

How well did the friend do? :D

anait
04-22-04, 03:43 PM
Thank you all for the kind welcome and for the knowledge that I'm not the only electronic nitwit out here !!!!!!!!!
Sorry not a beer drinker but Wine --- mmmmmm another story ( and of course being from Down Under we have the BEST wine!!)

Welcome, Trish! :) I agree about your wine!! I can't be without a big ol' bottle of Australian Shiraz, yummy yummy!!

I have not often made mistakes with programming my VCR...I get pretty paranoid and anal about it, checking the @!%*# thing 4 times, and often setting two VCRs to tape the same program in case something goes wrong with one. But where I fall down miserably is actually remembering that I want to tape something. :saywhat: Not races, usually, but hour-long shows. I've missed the last 2 eps of my favourite show due to chronic brain fade..."...uh...there's nothing on tonight...is there??" I go out for the evening, then realize the next day that I've missed my chance. :shakehead

pkvracing12
04-22-04, 04:30 PM
How well did the friend do? :D
I lost twice I had to pay 200 bucks for a window and I didnt get to see it :rofl: he learned his lesson