PDA

View Full Version : Why Jenkins' doing Champ Car

Madmaxfan2
04-20-04, 11:27 AM
This is speculation, but Bob started as a NASCAR TV announcer on ESPN with Beeny Parsons. When NASCAR did the two network deal, Jenkins was tied up with ABC/ESPN contract obligations. Plus the fact he started in the INDY market that meant his career future was wrapped up in the IRL. Well, I assume that the ABC/ESPN obligations are over, apparently his IMS radio connections mean nothing anymore, so do the Champ Car broadcasts and wait until a prime NASCAR assignment pops up, like when the new contracts are due for NASCAR. I think this SPIKE assignment is viewed by Bob as means to a NASCAR gig, not a end destination. It would explain the current situation.
Still, Bob is better than Page. However, there is no one in all of TV/Radio media that handles auto racing the way Bob Costas handles stick & ball sports. Costas is the ultimate benchmark in sports broadcasting. His delivery cannot be beat.

devilmaster
04-20-04, 12:01 PM
This'll drive JT nuts, but...........

Rauter! Rauter! Rauter!

:D
Steve

sadams
04-20-04, 12:16 PM
Hey I liked Varsha and TK. Of course I also liked Varsha and David Hobbs.

RaceGrrl
04-20-04, 12:23 PM
Varsha and Parker.

skidmarks
04-20-04, 12:24 PM
Can we talk Murray Walker out of retirement?

devilmaster
04-20-04, 12:28 PM
Can we talk Murray Walker out of retirement?

He'd probably keep calling Milwaukee, Monaco...... :D

Steve

lone_groover
04-20-04, 12:28 PM
I'd like to see Jeremy Shaw, Gee Hobbs, or Leigh Diffy in the booth with TK.

Jenkins has NO business.....

:flame:

Big Mo
04-20-04, 01:05 PM
When Paul Page returned to ChampCar a few years ago after a stint doing the IRL, he didn't wear his pro-IRL stance on his sleeve. He jumped right back into the series and let his excitement and passion for auto racing - period - come through.

Jenkins handled the play by play like he had a gun to his head, forcing him to call the ChampCar race against his wishes.

Hey, OWRS, want an excellent play by play man who is available right now? - get Tom Michaels on the phone and tell Jenkins, "thanks but no thanks."

Big Mo

Madmaxfan2
04-20-04, 01:46 PM
Still searching for the "Bob Costas of auto racing" The usual suspects do not measure up. Varsha comes the closest, and TK is entertaining, but I am looking for an insightful voice, Parker might be that person, but it looks like that potential will never be realized.

cart7
04-20-04, 01:49 PM
Varsha and Parker.
:thumbup: Absolutely.

JT265
04-20-04, 02:35 PM

Rauter! Rauter! Rauter!

Steve

OH, MY!!!!!!!

PS: If you were to call your buttcheeks Rauter, you'd have two of your own. :eek:

You're welcome.

Corner5
04-20-04, 02:50 PM
Varsha and TK.....the ying and yang http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/1/happy57.gif

Lola_B70
04-20-04, 04:38 PM
Yes, I must say I don't like to hear Jenkins' voice when I watch Champcar. It makes me feel that I am watching a race of the past....."please put the mic down Bob, and walk away."

My favorites in the booth would be Varsha, Parker and TK.
These guys are proven and they love Champcar. Enough said.

Please send Jenkins walkin'. IMHO he has no business in Champcar.

PopOffValve
04-20-04, 04:43 PM
Varsha and Parker.

:thumbup: my choice as well.

But is Jenkins truly that bad? Will not one person say that he's good or even decent on this forum? Sorry I missed the Long Beach so I couldn't say.

Purple Panic
04-20-04, 04:52 PM
Sorry, but I'd rather have Paul Page in than Bob Jenkins. Most boring announcer I've heard yet....

How about Parker and TK?

Madmaxfan2
04-20-04, 08:22 PM
Time for new broadcasting blood. Our sport deserves better than the current cast of characters. Part of the problem isa that most candidates come from two small areas of the country, Indianapolis and Charolette. Parker comes close but his delivery is too high pitched. TK is too edgy to be true spokesman to be taken seriously by the media at large. Jenkins could have been the man but he has been in the orbit of the oval racing world too long to be creditable. No need to explain why Page won't work. Varsha is just a little disconnected, but probably the best right now. Yes I am picky, but the sport needs a Bob Costas type to be great spokesperson who is witty, articulate, insightful, knowledgable, and intelligent. Too many racing broadcasters feel they have to scream every second to convey the excitement on the track for BillyJoeBob fan. I want an announcer that allows the action to do the "talking", especially on TV.

anait
04-20-04, 09:27 PM

Rauter! Rauter! Rauter!

OH, MY!!!!!!!

Yeah, Vic!!! :thumbup: Smooth, mellow voice, knowledgable, loves F1 so I would think ChampCar would be a natural fit.

At the very least, please please puh-leeeese TSN, I'm beggin' ya, carry the Cdn races with Vic commentating, so we don't have to watch Global anymore!!!

PS: I just love him in the curling broadcast booth!! :p

Kink
04-20-04, 10:00 PM
I think having Bob Jenkins anywhere near a ChampCar broadcast is an insult to ChampCar fans. Now, putting that aside and judging on merit regarding the Long Beach broadcast, I think it was obvious that he was unprofessional (could have at least done some homework), and did not have an ounce of regard for his work.
In short, he stunk!

JT265
04-20-04, 10:03 PM
Yeah, Vic!!! :thumbup: Smooth, mellow voice, knowledgable, loves F1 so I would think ChampCar would be a natural fit.

At the very least, please please puh-leeeese TSN, I'm beggin' ya, carry the Cdn races with Vic commentating, so we don't have to watch Global anymore!!!

You too? :shakehead

devilmaster
04-22-04, 11:40 AM

Not many remember, but for one year, Vic did play-by-play for champcars for the Canadian broadcasts. It was around the time of the split, so 96 or 97.

Steve

anait
04-22-04, 03:52 PM
Not many remember, but for one year, Vic did play-by-play for champcars for the Canadian broadcasts. It was around the time of the split, so 96 or 97.

There ya go!! Precedent and everything. C'mon, Vic, come call our series!! :thumbup: :D

(JT's gonna smack me in T-O... :p )

RichK
04-22-04, 03:58 PM
Jeremy Shaw would be great, and he was already doing the ChampCar announcing for HDTV during the commercials.

I really enjoyed his announcing during Barber Dodge races.

JT265
04-22-04, 04:00 PM
(JT's gonna smack me in T-O... :p )

You're on!!!

<sounds like fun too!>

:rofl:

pkvracing12
04-22-04, 04:37 PM
I think Alex Zanardi would be awsome for that job :) :) :)