PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Tidbit From The PacifiCare Press Release

JoeBob
02-03-03, 02:14 PM
Drivers Junqueira and Sebastien Bourdais were preceded at the team by Mario and Michael Andretti, Nigel Mansell, Paul Tracy, Christian Fittipaldi and reigning 2002 series champion Cristiano da Matta. For more information log on to www.newman-haas.com or www.champcarworldseries.com.

It looks like we'll be seeing less mention of "cart.com" and more mention of "champcarworldseries.com" Of course, the website itsself doesn't mention either as being the "official URL."

I wonder how much it will cost them to buy champcar.com from Peter Burke. Thats really the URL they need.

mnkywrch
02-03-03, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by JoeBob
I wonder how much it will cost them to buy champcar.com from Peter Burke. Thats really the URL they need.

Buy?

They're have their lawyers send a letter, probably...

JoeBob
02-03-03, 02:49 PM
He's had the URL for years since 1997, and is making use of it in a fair way. It is entirely legal, and the only way CART could get it would be to buy it, or reach some other type of agreement. (There was a case involving Bruce Springsteen that set this precident. You can read the details here: http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2000/d2000-1532.html )

pchall
02-03-03, 02:55 PM
He's been playing "dog in the manger" with that url for several years now. Burke probably thinks that name is his retirement nest egg.

Turn7
02-03-03, 03:25 PM

MightySurfClam
02-03-03, 03:26 PM
Burke is a class act and most importantly a fan. It used to be indycar.com until the split and the FedEx series when he changed it to Champcar.com Its not the most updated site, but he has announcements and news (NO RUMOURS) and tries his best to keep his photos up to date which is his forte. He's hardly a squatter, for a long time he was all there was, and had the original silly season board

WickerBill
02-03-03, 03:34 PM
I'll agree that Burke has served CART very well; but he didn't own IndyCar.com that I know of. He was Speedcenter.com (still is) when his site went online, IIRC.

JoeBob
02-03-03, 03:39 PM
CART owned indycar.com and turned the domain over to IMS as a part of the settlement over the use of the term "IndyCar." The first "cart.com" was actually www.indycar.com it then became www.cart.com and now seems to be moving towards www.champcarworldseries.com.

I've enjoyed Peter's Website and photography over the years. Its too bad he doesn't photograph the races any more. His photos are awesome!

MightySurfClam
02-03-03, 04:03 PM
Sorry my mistake. Registering champcar does look a bit more suspicious now :p

Hurling Frootmig
02-03-03, 05:48 PM
Peter doesn't actually own chamcar.com. His provider does. He still owns speedcenter.com and for a long time it was the best thing going in terms of CART sites. He did it for all the right reasons. Love of the sport, love of the photography, service to the fans, etc. . . After so long of not really making any money he seems to have found it necessary to step back and better utilize his time.

I miss his distinctive and quality photography.

JLMannin
02-03-03, 05:54 PM
Is Champcar.com (Speedcenter.com) officially abandoned?

I looked at it last week, and the last story was November, 2002.

Hurling Frootmig
02-03-03, 08:39 PM
At the moment it looks like it's serving as an archive for the great racing photos and old articles.

nrc
02-03-03, 09:28 PM
Burke registered champcar.com back when CART was still farting around trying to figure out what they wanted to be when they grew up. He provided some of the best champcar photography anywhere for years. His stuff was better than 90% of what you find on CART.com to this day and for most of its history champcar.com was a better web site overall than CART.com.