PDA

View Full Version : The Sellout Crowd

racer2c
04-19-04, 10:54 PM
Tracy is a great spokesman for Champ Car and I'm darn happy he is finally the Champ of Champ Car!

On Wind Tunnel a few minutes ago he said (paraphrased, referring to the IRL sellout crowds) "...and I'm not talking about the fans in the stands". Poignant and edgy without ranting. Way to go PT! You rock. :thumbup:

fourrunner
04-19-04, 11:13 PM
Tracy is a great spokesman for Champ Car and I'm darn happy he is finally the Champ of Champ Car!

On Wind Tunnel a few minutes ago he said (paraphrased, referring to the IRL sellout crowds) "...and I'm not talking about the fans in the stands". Poignant and edgy without ranting. Way to go PT! You rock. :thumbup:

Great Statement by PT... NO FEAR !! :thumbup:

I bet Rahal & Fernandez made sure PT was NO where around when they did their Judas impersonations!

Of course a "Good" Reporter would have followed that question up and asked him to expand on his comments... BUT THAT would have to happen elsewhere! ;)

JT265
04-19-04, 11:19 PM
:thumbup:

racer2c
04-19-04, 11:22 PM
Great Statement by PT... NO FEAR !! :thumbup:

I bet Rahal & Fernandez made sure PT was NO where around when they did their Judas impersonations!

Of course a "Good" Reporter would have followed that question up and asked him to expand on his comments... BUT THAT would have to happen elsewhere! ;)

Man, I thought the same thing.

Riverside
04-20-04, 12:45 AM
He's the boss applesauce! :D

Corner5
04-20-04, 10:55 AM
PT wears his heart on his sleeve......there's no phoniness or canned responses. He's a RR-er and he loves it.He won't sellout for the money. He appreciates his fans. He deserves all the accolades CC can give him. :cool:

mueber
04-20-04, 01:04 PM
I don't think the "sellout" comment was wise (we may want those folks back when we can get them), but there is no doubt that it is exactly the way Tracy feels, and that is what makes him the best interview in auto racing.

Ankf00
04-20-04, 01:25 PM
rahal et al left after years of the IRL insulting them, undera's comments didn't stop them from going to the IRL, why would PT's stop them from coming back when they're begging for a series to join?

fourrunner
04-20-04, 01:34 PM
I don't think the "sellout" comment was wise (we may want those folks back when we can get them), but there is no doubt that it is exactly the way Tracy feels, and that is what makes him the best interview in auto racing.

Trust me, these guys know what they are, and know what they did... If it is in there best interests to come back to Champ Car they will come back no matter what you call them.

I would give Fernandez a Pass because he was probably just scared money wise, and is basically new at the owners game and just not able to have a backbone when the screws are put to him... Pretty much a lightweight

Rahal on the other hand knew EXACTLY what he was doing, and figured just maybe he could END this thing right then & there and be a Hero to the other cowards and traitors in th IRL.

Paul Tracy is a breath of fresh air and calls the others just what they are, who cares if it hurts there feelings. They know it!

I look at the "Former" CART Owners as resembling the Male survivors of the Titanic who put on Dresses when the Captain Yelled "Women & Children First".

G.
04-20-04, 02:00 PM
I look at the "Former" CART Owners as resembling the Male survivors of the Titanic who put on Dresses when the Captain Yelled "Women & Children First".the Cheepster in a dress?!?

:shudder: :eek:

Chief
04-20-04, 02:44 PM
Trust me, these guys know what they are, and know what they did... If it is in their best interests to come back to Champ Car they will come back no matter what you call them.

Excellent point. The question is what would entice them to return? I wonder if Ford's CCWS engine contract negotiations might play an important role. Might be the perfect time to update the formula and inspire a new generation of engine manufacturer contribution. But only if they are kept in check....

fourrunner
04-20-04, 03:00 PM
Excellent point. The question is what would entice them to return? I wonder if Ford's CCWS engine contract negotiations might play an important role. Might be the perfect time to update the formula and inspire a new generation of engine manufacturer contribution. But only if they are kept in check....

The only negative is that Toyota & Honda might need to come back for the competition in that scenario

I can't picture Penske or Gannassi coming back unless a Sponsor or Manufacturer were picking up the lions share.

fourrunner
04-20-04, 03:02 PM
the Cheepster in a dress?!?

:shudder: :eek:

In keeping with Cheeps Whorelike nature .... he'd be out of that dress as soon as one of the others offered him 10 bucks... Of course the sight of that might drive the women & children overboard again ! ;)

racer2c
04-20-04, 03:12 PM
Penske and Chip will never be back in Champ Car. No reason for them to come back. If the IRL continues it's downward spiral (and I'm sure it will), those two will continue with their track history of turning their backs and will find some other series (ALMS, Grand Am,NASCAR) to run in. Or, just stick with NASCAR. Although, I don't think either one of them is into being at 35 races a year. F'm. Look how low they sunk along with their Amazonian organ grinder monkeys behind the wheel. They're all pretty insignificant nowadays in the bigger motorsport picture. It won't be long and these road racing IRL guys are going to get real tired of foot to the floor driving with talent taken completely out of the equation.

Steve99
04-20-04, 03:23 PM
But only if they are kept in check....
There's the rub.

sundaydriver2
04-20-04, 03:57 PM
If the rumor is true that Foyoda is only going to lease engines after 05 and not support the series, how fast do you think Peniske and Fatassi are going to stick around? They would be paying customers just like everybody else.

And how long will Fonda keep badging an Ilmor engine??

The morons who sold out to the Iditograndson really thought the fight would be over and everyone would eventually run under the Injury Racing League. I dont feel sorry for these retards one bit. They only looked at the money side.

They better hope that the trust funds dont run out or they could find themselves begging to get back into Champ Cars.

nrc
04-21-04, 11:44 PM
Finally got around to watching this one (thanks, TiVo!). I thought Tracy's comments on the hurdles OWRS overcame to get to Long Beach were interesting. He mentioned traps that were set. My guess is that lends credence to the idea that whole Fernandez/Rahal defection was orchestrated by Honda and calculated to do maximum damage to ChampCar. If they hadn't wanted the Honda entries for Japan they might have even strung things out even further.

Jag_Warrior
04-22-04, 08:33 AM
It won't be long and these road racing IRL guys are going to get real tired of foot to the floor driving with talent taken completely out of the equation.

That's why I think it's VERY important for CCWS to hold onto as many of the top road racing circuits as possible. Just as we're shut out of the oval market (not that it matters that much anyway), they remain on the low ground as long as they can't get a real foothold with road circuits.

If all they can get is Watkins Glen and maybe Mid-Ohio, I don't think they're much better off than they are now. Keep them at bay a bit longer, let the economy improve, let Toyota start to focus more on the NASCAR programs and the tide may turn yet again. :)

RaceGrrl
04-22-04, 09:49 AM
I found Paul's comment about the "traps that were laid" to be very interesting. It's good to have such an outspoken driver in our series. You can always count on PT to spill info like that.

Corner5
04-22-04, 10:53 AM
I found Paul's comment about the "traps that were laid" to be very interesting. It's good to have such an outspoken driver in our series. You can always count on PT to spill info like that.

That comment was brilliant and perfectly describes TG and the unification card he trys to play everytime he needs something.
:gomer: