PDA

View Full Version : RM: The Real Winner... Champ Car

dando
04-19-04, 12:50 PM
The Real Winner... Champ Car (http://speedtv.com/commentary/10704/)

My Favorite quote:

"Tony George has tried to kill us but he won't succeed," said Paul Newman, now in his 20th year as a Champ Car owner with Carl Haas, of the Indy Racing League founder. "There are too many people out there who prefer open wheel racing on street and road courses.

"I feel a loyalty to these people."

:thumbup:

-Kevin

racer2c
04-19-04, 01:15 PM
Hmmm. From the same article.

RM = Champ Car has one year remaining on its contract with Long Beach and the speculation is that Toyota will do everything possible to bring in the IRL for 2005. "We've got to worry about it because it's a great race and we don't want to lose it," said Gentilozzi. "But if we're not here in Long Beach, we will still be in L.A."

KLang
04-19-04, 01:57 PM
"But if we're not here in Long Beach, we will still be in L.A."

:thumbup: I wonder how many plan B's and C's these guys have up their sleeves? It certainly shouldn't take much to outwit that moron FTG.

racer2c
04-19-04, 02:16 PM
A race down Sunset Strip! Mullholland Drive! Hollywood Blvd! The stars hang in tinsel town baby!

mueber
04-19-04, 02:20 PM
I wish the principals at OWRS would avoid mentioning the IRL and Boy George all together. The best thing to do is move on.

Hard Driver
04-19-04, 03:00 PM
I wish the principals at OWRS would avoid mentioning the IRL and Boy George all together. The best thing to do is move on.

I'd second that.

racer2c
04-19-04, 03:07 PM
I disagree. Craig, Heitzler, Rahal and Pook never, ever told it like it is. Their 'high road' philosophy allowed TG's spin campaign to perpetuate the negativity that surrounded CART until the day it died. Call a spade a spade and let the truth be known, Tony is the bad guy in all this. Pointing it out is a 'good thing'.

fourrunner
04-19-04, 03:26 PM
Pook actually got trashed by some of the members of the various forums for being TOO Direct in his comments about the IRL....

Unfortunately when ONE side is at war with you, then your BOTH at War no matter if you don't want to be, or how dignified you'd like to be. ( And if you don't think TG is at war with OWRS, your in denial). He says he doesn't think about OWRS but trust me he thinks about it 24 hours a day.

If you don't respond or at least prepare for "Dirty Tricks" and out and out "Underhandedness" then you will lose, plain & simple.

"The Best Defense is a Good Offense"

racer2c
04-19-04, 03:32 PM
Pook actually got trashed by some of the members of the various forums for being TOO Direct in his comments about the IRL....

Unfortunately when ONE side is at war with you, then your BOTH at War no matter you want to be, or how dignified you'd like to be. ( And if you don't think TG is at war with OWRS, your in denial). He says he doesn't think about OWRS but trust me he thinks about it 24 hours a day.

If you don't respond or at least prepare for "Dirty Tricks" and out and out "Underhandedness" then you will lose, plain & simple.

"The Best Defense is a Good Offense"

Pook never laid it out like the Three Amigos have / are. He said some crud ala Craig about extending olive braches only to have the door slammed in our face. I can not recall ever hearing Pook say "Tony is trying to kill CART".
Wow, the Pook days seem so long ago don't they?

lateralus42
04-19-04, 03:37 PM
The new owners need to keep fighting back as long as TG is using subterfuge to wage his war against OWRS. OWRS is a superior product, nothing wrong in letting everyone know that. :cool:

bdogg187
04-19-04, 04:02 PM

Oh wouldnt it be wonderful. I wouldnt care, I can ignore the IRL, it sux. But the dickweed in charge of IRL seems to think hes better than the fans, the drivers, the owners, and the sport itself. He wants everyone to fall in line and accept his vision of what OW racing should be. He feels like he can pick on CCWS because he has the illusion the Champ Car is weaker than him. People claim Champ Car is IRLs competition, but NASCAR, F1, and Sports Cars are competition as well. But he cant mess with them. OWRS needs to ensure Tony cant mess them either! Every time Tony uses his hammer, OWRS needs to make sure he hits his thumb! :gomer:

Dougrun
04-19-04, 04:07 PM
Hmmm. From the same article.

RM = Champ Car has one year remaining on its contract with Long Beach and the speculation is that Toyota will do everything possible to bring in the IRL for 2005. "We've got to worry about it because it's a great race and we don't want to lose it," said Gentilozzi. "But if we're not here in Long Beach, we will still be in L.A."

ooh! do a circuit on PCH near santa monica!!!!!

fourrunner
04-19-04, 05:19 PM
Pook never laid it out like the Three Amigos have / are. He said some crud ala Craig about extending olive braches only to have the door slammed in our face. I can not recall ever hearing Pook say "Tony is trying to kill CART".
Wow, the Pook days seem so long ago don't they?

While I agree with your entire premise...

I just don't want to see Chris Pook lumped in with the others... In a not so strange way , he layed the groundwork for the Three Amigo's... Certain things had to occur for this puppy to work, and while I'm sure this wasn't the intent, I'll just call it "Kismet".

Chris Pook had nothing but the success of CART (in some form) in his mind throughout the journey.... throughout!! :)

And he has my respect!! :cool:

racer2c
04-19-04, 05:32 PM
Hey, I'm not a 'Pook hata', but I see it a bit differently. He was paid a very large amont of money to make sure CART made it through '03 and he spent the warchest in doing so. When that was spent, he split, as was his plan and CART died. I don't disagree that his intentions were good, just that he was a short time solution with no long term answers.

Ziggy
04-19-04, 05:37 PM
bdogg187

For only posting eleven times, number eleven was a damn fine effort!

Welcome to OffCamber.net

Ziggy

FTG
04-19-04, 06:08 PM

I've been saying that since 96.

L1P1
04-19-04, 06:15 PM
Champ Car has the Grands Prix and the IRL has the big prix. That is the way it will remain.