PDA

View Full Version : Top Three Favorite Songs from The Beatles

racer2c
04-17-04, 10:12 PM
Once every three years or so I go through a Beatle Binge. I'll rotate early years, middle and end years as I don't like mixing the early diddy, bubblegum with the White album era. In doing so I keep a mental note of my current top three favorite songs in case if someday I'm walking down the street and somebody stops me and says "quick, what are your top three favorite songs from The Beatles!?", I'll be able to lay it out without blinking an eye.
Currently I'm re-discovering the White album. This isn't my favorite, even though it's the one all the "cool" Beatle fans hold high (along with Manson). I purposefully do not over do the White one to avoid being cliché (as if being a fan of The Beatles isn't cliché enough!).

So, without further ado, my three year revised top three favorite songs of mine from The Beatles. To make this fun, you have to guess my number 1 pick.
She Said She Said has dropped from the number 1 slot by a song that the composer (Paul) wrote about his sheep dog.

3. You Can't Do that
2. She Said She Said
1. ???

Now, what are your favorite top three?

Sean O'Gorman
04-17-04, 10:36 PM
1) Helter Skelter
2) While My Guitar Gently Weeps
3) One After 909

We got to the Beatles about a month ago in my Roots of Rock & Soul class at CSU (read: blowoff class, but fun as hell to go to) and I've become hooked. I haven't been exposed to much since I don't buy CDs, all I've heard is what I hear on the radio, have downloaded off of KaZaA Lite, and Let It Be (the Naked version, I found it lying around in my parents' CD collection). Although I can't add it to the list since its not a Beatles song, I also like George Harrison's Faster due to its theme.

Lizzerd
04-17-04, 10:51 PM
Breaking the rules of your question here. I couldn't give you a top three song list. Each of their albums were, IMHO, unique in style. It's kind of like asking, using the NBA as an example, who was the better center, Wilt Chamberlain (AVERAGED 50.4 ppg in a season, scored 100 in a game) or Shaquile O'neal? The best forward, Oscar Robertson (AVERAGED a triple double for several seasons) or Michael Jordan? The best point guard, Bob Cousy or John Stockton?

It's the same way with racing... Fangio or M. Shumacher in F1? Wilbur Shaw or Rick Mears at Indy?

Having spewed all that, I'd have to consider each Beatles album a separate era, even though they were all crammed into less than a decade. So... my top three albums would be...

1. Sgt. Pepper
2. Rubber Soul
3. Abbey Road

Sorry if I screw up or hijack your thread, r2c.

JT265
04-17-04, 11:16 PM
As long as I can reserve the right to change my picks (:D), I'd say...

Back in the USSR,
Get Back <live version>
Revolution

Fitti Fan
04-17-04, 11:20 PM
Twist and Shout
In My Life
And I Love Her

Only three??????

RaceGrrl
04-17-04, 11:42 PM
I'm a chick, so my favorites change with my mood. Right now, my three faves are:

Blackbird
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Long and Winding Road

fourrunner
04-17-04, 11:50 PM
I was always partial to the George Harrison penned songs... not that Lennon McCartney don't matter :)

Can't pick a favorite, they were all good!

DjDrOmusic
04-18-04, 03:19 AM
My favorite 3

1. Let It Be

2. Hey Jude

3. Till There Was You

chop456
04-18-04, 07:19 AM
Blackbird
Revolution #9
Helter Skelter
http://themq.com/issues/86/manson.jpg

RTKar
04-18-04, 07:50 AM
1 - Girl

2 - Paperback Writer

3 - Twist and Shout

Napoleon
04-18-04, 08:27 AM
Hey Bulldog
You never give me your money
Paperback Writer

Abbey Road
Rubber Soul (english version)
Revolver (english version)

WickerBill
04-18-04, 08:59 AM
1. I'm So Tired
2. Eleanor Rigby
3. When I'm 64

#1 might just be a function of where I am these days.

JT265
04-18-04, 09:09 AM
In the light of day, here comes the revision. In no particular order, my faves are....

1) The ad for Microsoft
2) The ad for Nike
3) The other ad ?!?!

Thanks much to that freak from California that bought the Beatles cataloque, and then sold out to the highest bidder. :mad:

Hardpoint
04-18-04, 09:11 AM
If I had to only pick three:

Got To Get You Into My Life

Day Tripper

Norwegian Wood

cart7
04-18-04, 11:46 AM
I can't pick three so I'll just say your choice of anything on Abbey Road.

IlliniRacer
04-18-04, 12:23 PM
1. Day Tripper - always wanted to learn to play guitar just so I could play the riff in the song

2. Ob la di Ob la da

3. I'll follow the sun

pineapple
04-18-04, 01:58 PM
Hard to choose just 3. For this week:
1. In My Life
2. A Day in the Life
3a. Something
3b. Here Comes the Sun

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Dave99
04-19-04, 01:31 PM
Hey Jude
Day Tripper
I Want You (She's So Heavy)

Brickman
04-19-04, 02:13 PM
My (now 18yr old) daughter is a big fan, so I bought her Postcards from the Boys for her 18th birthday. I'm so happy she didn't go the route of her generation musicwise. We can actually have the radio on while in the same car together.

Too many songs to pick three. But...

She's leaving home.

Wednesday morning at five o'clock
as the day begins
Silently closing her bedroom door
Leaving the note that she hoped would say more
She goes downstairs to the kitchen
clutching her handkerchief
Quietly turning the back door key
Stepping outside she is free

She (we gave her most of our lives)
is leaving (sacrificed most of our lives)
home (we gave her everything money could buy)
She's leaving home after living alone for
so many years (bye bye)

Father snores as his wife gets into her dressing gown
Picks up the letter that's lying there
Standing alone at the top of the stairs
She breaks down and cries to her husband
Daddy our baby's gone
Why would she treat us so thoughtlessly
How could she do this to me

She (We never thought of ourselves)
is leaving (never a thought for ourselves)
home (we struggled hard all our lives to get by)
She's leaving home after living alone for
so many years (bye bye)

Friday morning at nine o'clock she is far away
Waiting to keep the appointment she made
Meeting a man from the motor trade

She (what did we do that was wrong)
is having (we didn't know it was wrong)
fun (fun is the one thing that money can't buy)
Something inside that was always denied for
so many years (bye bye)
She's leaving home (bye bye)

-------------------------------

A Day in the life...

I read the news today oh, boy
About a lucky man who made the grade
And though the news was rather sad
Well I just had to laugh and
I saw the photograph

He blew his mind out in a car
He didn’t notice that the lights had changed
A crowd of people stood and stared
They’d seen his face before,
Nobody was really sure if he was from the house of lords.

I saw a film today oh, boy
The english army had just won the war
A crowd of people turned away
But I just had a look
Having read the book,
I’d love to turn you on...

Woke up, fell out of bed,
Dragged a comb across my head
Found my way downstairs and drank a cup,
And looking up I noticed I was late.

Found my coat and grabbed my hat
Made the bus in seconds flat
Found my way upstairs and had a smoke,
Somebody spoke and I went into a dream

Ah

I read the news today oh boy
Four thousand holes in blackburn, lancashire
And though the holes were rather small
They had to count them all,
Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the albert hall.
I’d love to turn you on...

---------------------------

For No One

Your day breaks, your mind aches
You find that all the words of kindness linger on
When she no longer needs you

She wakes up, she makes up
She takes her time and doesn’t feel she has to hurry
She no longer needs you

And in her eyes you see nothing
No sign of love behind the tears
Cried for no one
A love that should have lasted years!

You want her, you need her
And yet you don’t believe her when she said her love is dead
You think she needs you

Cried for no one

You stay home, she goes out
She says that long ago she knew someone but now he’s gone
She doesn’t need him

Your day breaks, your mind aches
There will be time when all the things she said will fil your head
You won’t forget her

Cried for no one

----------------------------------

Of course tomorrow or next week there would be three different choices.

Corner5
04-19-04, 02:30 PM
For me it's got to be the whole album-

they're all good in my book!

3 Sgt Pepper

2 White Album

1 Abbey Road

:cool:

now for something completely different- anybody remember the Beatles album "Yesterday and Today"? The cover was banned and changed. It's now called the "butcher cover". It's pretty tame by today's standards

http://www.eskimo.com/~bpentium/stereo.jpg

here's John talking about the photo shoot-

http://www.eskimo.com/~bpentium/johnbc.wav

I had to look this up for something and came across a whole website devoted to this album,I'm not that obsessed! Really! ;) :p

racer2c
04-19-04, 02:32 PM
Good picks Brick and it is refreshing to hear that your daughter likes The Beatles. There are so many unbelievable, timeless songs it is hard to choose. Being a guitar player and a songwriter myself, my picks may change due to an instrumentation arrangement that catches my ear, or a lyrics that are pure pop poetry. I'm 36 and while my mom and dad enjoyed some of their bigger hits (I even remember my grand dad loving the song "When I'm 64" when I was a about ten.), such as Hey Jude and Rocky Raccoon, they weren't huge fans. I really 'found' The Beatles in my early teens when playing in garage bands.

BTW, no one guessed my current number 1 which Paul wrote for his sheep dog. Ok, I'll spill it, 'Martha, My Dear' it is.
Which is rather strange as there is virtually no guitar in that song. Hardly prolific and inspirational, but a really well arranged pop song. You can really hear foreshadowing of Paul's Wings material in the chorus.

"Take a good look around you.
Take a good look around to see,
That you and me,
Were meant to be,
With each other.
Silly girl"

Great stuff.

racer2c
04-19-04, 02:45 PM
As buttoned up as The early Beatles were there still were hints at what young hellions they really were. Listen to 'Run for Your Life' from the Rubber Soul, released in '65.

"I'd rather see you dead little girl than catch you with another man...you better run for your life". And they say rap is rough.

Hard Driver
04-19-04, 05:32 PM
Why don't we do it in the road
Hey Jude
Let it be

That is if I had to name three and that is as of today. Tomorrow another song could get stuck in my head and I could have another top 3. But I have had "why don't we do it in the road" in my head for the last couple of days, so it is in there today.

racer2c
04-19-04, 05:34 PM
Why don't we do it in the road
Hey Jude
Let it be

That is if I had to name three and that is as of today. Tomorrow another song could get stuck in my head and I could have another top 3. But I have had "why don't we do it in the road" in my head for the last couple of days, so it is in there today.

Those maple leaf bikinis do it every time. :)

RichK
04-19-04, 05:49 PM
Ay Carumba! How can you people pick only three? I'm reading your posts and thinking: "Yeah, those are my 3", then "Yeah, those are my 3", etc.

Napoleon
04-19-04, 06:12 PM
As buttoned up as The early Beatles were there still were hints at what young hellions they really were. Listen to 'Run for Your Life' from the Rubber Soul, released in '65.

"I'd rather see you dead little girl than catch you with another man...you better run for your life". And they say rap is rough.

I had read once that that was one song Lennon was not proud of having written.

Those maple leaf bikinis do it every time. :)

:rofl:

pineapple
04-19-04, 08:10 PM
now for something completely different- anybody remember the Beatles album "Yesterday and Today"? The cover was banned and changed. It's now called the "butcher cover". It's pretty tame by today's standards

here's John talking about the photo shoot-

http://www.eskimo.com/~bpentium/johnbc.wav

I had to look this up for something and came across a whole website devoted to this album,I'm not that obsessed! Really! ;) :p

Odd that you should mention this album - Antiques Roadshow just featured one in mint condition, and the owner was pleasantly surprised to find out it was worth $10 - 12,000!

Corner5
04-19-04, 08:14 PM
Wierd! I just saw that! It was only on sale for one day at Sears before it was pulled,cost $2.99! Dang! :saywhat:

Napoleon
04-19-04, 08:15 PM

On the Antique Road Show tonight some woman had a record with this cover. The appraiser said that it sold one day in the US, and only at Sears stores. It was in almost perfect shape. She bought it from the store new for $3 and he said it was worth $10k to $12k now.

RaceGrrl
04-19-04, 10:32 PM
IIRC, the record company didn't want to discard all of the LP sleeves they'd already printed, so they slapped the new cover label on over the butcher cover and sold it that way. I've read about folks steaming off the cover labels looking for the original.

Robstar
04-19-04, 10:36 PM
1: Helter Skelter
2: Back In The USSR
3: Let It Be

Napoleon
04-19-04, 10:47 PM
Pineapple - duh, didn't see your post

JT265
04-19-04, 11:30 PM
I gotta jump in and say that I have some concern over the amount of posters that obviously spend waaaaaaaay too much time watching the "Antiques Road Show" :saywhat:

<kinda sounds like Linda Vaughn and the old Henderson skank heading for a Dunkin' Donuts>

racer2c
04-19-04, 11:41 PM
I gotta jump in and say that I have some concern over the amount of posters that obviously spend waaaaaaaay too much time watching the "Antiques Road Show" :saywhat:

<kinda sounds like Linda Vaughn and the old Henderson skank heading for a Dunkin' Donuts>

I wanted to call them 'women' ala l_g, but didn't want to steal his bit. And hey, there is some good junk, I mean, antiques on those shows. ;)

I used to watch the one on FX channel when it first started. It was good. Anyone remember the name of that one?

JT265
04-19-04, 11:46 PM
I used to watch the one on FX channel when it first started. It was good. Anyone remember the name of that one?

Sure. Nascar Sunday Morning.

:D

nz_climber
04-20-04, 12:12 AM
On the Antique Road Show tonight some woman had a record with this cover. The appraiser said that it sold one day in the US, and only at Sears stores. It was in almost perfect shape. She bought it from the store new for $3 and he said it was worth $10k to $12k now.

Talking about expensive albums, I saw on a rare record site a copy on Abby Road pressed in red vinyl (very nice looking piece of vinyl) only 1 of 2 ever pressed - it was going for over 5,000 pounds!!
:eek:

I'll try find the link

Napoleon
04-20-04, 06:56 AM
And hey, there is some good junk, I mean, antiques on those shows. ;)

I almost never watch that show, and last night was a pure accident. The TV was on PBS when I turned it on and they had just started the part on the Beatle record. Having said that what I have watched, and a radio interview I heard once, has made it clear that the brothers (twins?) that are primary in the show are serious car guys. When they were here in Cleveland they did a segment at the car museum and took one out to Mid-Ohio. They used the segment and in an interview they did on the radio it was clear that was their favorate part of the trip. I noticed them do the same thing on anouther show but I am forgetting for the moment what track they used for that one.

JohnHKart
04-20-04, 07:49 AM
Longtime pro musician here (and that's what I still am)....Let's see, I don't own any Beatles albums, other than Anthology but I sure like them. Later period is my favorite, the medley at the end of Abbey Road with the drum solo is still my favorite....but hmm....what else....too many choices, Maybe I will come up with more later.

John

Corner5
04-20-04, 11:11 AM
I wanted to call them 'women' ala l_g, but didn't want to steal his bit. And hey, there is some good junk, I mean, antiques on those shows. ;)

Just for the record......I am a woman! sorry it's not in my forum name.

so I'm entitled to watch AR.
:p

flobee1kenobi
04-20-04, 11:15 AM
1. Hey jude
2. Love to you (revolver)
3. Abbey Road side 2

I know #3 isnt technically "A" song but, side 2 just flows so well from one song to another, I just "see" it as 1 song

pchall
04-20-04, 12:20 PM
1. She's Leaving Home
2. Norweigian Wood
3. Girl

lone_groover
04-20-04, 12:32 PM
I'm not much for bug music, but I never miss the Antiques Roadshow!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

4wheeldrifter
04-21-04, 01:27 PM
Hard one... here goes:

1. Penny Lane.
2. While My Guitar Gently Weeps.
3. Norwegian Wood.

Corner5
04-21-04, 02:01 PM
Another piece of trivia- The White Album was originally supposed to be called "A Doll's House" and this was the cover-

http://www.beatletracks.com/images/mooiste.jpg

The Beatles was released in the UK on November 22, 1968 as Apple PMC 7067-8 (mono) and PCS 7067-8 (stereo) and in the US on November 25, 1968 in stereo as Apple SWBO 101. The White Album was not released in mono in the US.

The White Album's original working title was A Doll's House, which is the name of Henrik Ibsen's masterpiece play written in the 19th century.

In addition, according to The Beatles Album by Geoffrey Giuliano, an illustration was prepared for the cover of A Doll's House by the famed artist Patrick but the plain white cover was opted for instead. This illustration eventually showed up on EMI's Dutch release of the Love Songs album, De Mooiste Songs.

Also recorded during the White Album sessions were What's the New Mary Jane and Not Guilty. These two tracks were only available on bootlegs for many years, but were finally released legitimately for the first time 28 years after they were recorded on Anthology 3 in 1996.

No I'm not obsessing! ;)

pineapple
04-21-04, 08:35 PM
^^^ Umm...yes, you are obsessing just a bit. :)

Corner5
04-22-04, 11:00 AM
^^^ Umm...yes, you are obsessing just a bit. :)

Google is bad, TMI !
:saywhat:

:)

Fitti Fan
04-22-04, 01:33 PM
IIRC, the record company didn't want to discard all of the LP sleeves they'd already printed, so they slapped the new cover label on over the butcher cover and sold it that way. I've read about folks steaming off the cover labels looking for the original.

Exactly, I remember seeing this one. My older sister's ex-boyfriend had it. They had literally put the new label over the old one and he had managed to pull off the old one. Certainly not in mint condition because of that, but would still be pretty cool to have.

M

KaBoom21
04-22-04, 07:08 PM
Dear Prudence
Lady Madonna
Tomorrow Never Knows

Jervis Tetch 1
04-22-04, 10:53 PM
There's so many great ones, but if I had to narrow it down to three they would be:

Revolution
Eight Days a Week
I Saw Her Standing There

Corner5
04-23-04, 11:09 AM
Dear Prudence
Lady Madonna
Tomorrow Never Knows

do you want to hear the story about Dear Prudence?

"Dear Prudence
Inspiration
The Prudence referred to in the song is Prudence Farrow, actress Mia Farrow's younger sister. The Beatles and the two sisters, along with several others, were together on a meditation trip to India under Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, teacher of Transcendental Meditation, in 1968. Apparently Prudence spent all her time meditating and didn't come out often, and John wrote the song to get her to "come out to play".
Quotes
From The Beatles Anthology by The Beatles:
PAUL: Mia Farrow was there, and her sister, Prudence. John wrote the song 'Dear Prudence' for her because she had a panic attack and couldn't come out of her chalet.
RINGO: Prudence meditated and hibernated. We saw her twice in the two weeks I was there. Everyone would be banging on the door: 'Are you still alive?'
JOHN: No one was to know that sooner or later she was to go completely berserk under the care of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. All the people around her were very worried about the girl because she was going insane. So we sang to her.
They selected me and George to try to bring her out because she would trust us. She went completely mental. If she'd been in the West they would have put her away. We got her out of the house. She'd been locked in for three weeks and wouldn't come out, trying to reach God quicker than anybody else. That was the competition in Maharishi's camp: who was going to get cosmic first. (What I didn't know was I was already cosmic.)"

Actually I heard Mia Farrow talk about this on Letterman one time.

datachicane
04-23-04, 05:43 PM
I've Got a Feeling
Helter Skelter
I Want You (She's so Heavy)