PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Player help

KLang
04-17-04, 04:05 PM
This is about using the video at Race Director:

Friday at work using windows 2000 and an older version of WMP I was able to access all the video streams.

Today at home on XP home and WMP 9 when I try to access any of the video streams I get a box pop up saying 'Security Upgrade Required' and some additional text about DRM (Digital Rights Management). The text says after hitting the OK button it will download the appropriate file. I click OK and the window goes away but the video window loops through connecting etc and eventually pops up the security upgrade message again. I am fully current on all xp and WMP patches. I suspect a security issue, I even turned off the firewall for a while but I never was able to get past the security upgrade message.

Anyone got any ideas?

TIA

nissan gtp
04-17-04, 04:21 PM
This is about using the video at Race Director:

Friday at work using windows 2000 and an older version of WMP I was able to access all the video streams.

Today at home on XP home and WMP 9 when I try to access any of the video streams I get a box pop up saying 'Security Upgrade Required' and some additional text about DRM (Digital Rights Management). The text says after hitting the OK button it will download the appropriate file. I click OK and the window goes away but the video window loops through connecting etc and eventually pops up the security upgrade message again. I am fully current on all xp and WMP patches. I suspect a security issue, I even turned off the firewall for a while but I never was able to get past the security upgrade message.

Anyone got any ideas?

TIA

bump

I get the same thing. the "we're not broadcasting message works ok".

:mad:

pfc_m_drake
04-17-04, 04:26 PM
Make sure you've got this one installed:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=af9cf65e-0c55-452e-a0fa-3aa165e667c1&DisplayLang=en

It's a relatively recent fix (Feb 2004). Since they change their website about every 10-15 minutes or so, if that URL is dead, goto the Microsoft site and search for KB828026 (that's the reference Microsoft Knowledge Base ID number for the download in question).

edit: You'll probably need to reboot after applying that patch.

KLang
04-17-04, 04:47 PM
Make sure you've got this one installed:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=af9cf65e-0c55-452e-a0fa-3aa165e667c1&DisplayLang=en

It's a relatively recent fix (Feb 2004). Since they change their website about every 10-15 minutes or so, if that URL is dead, goto the Microsoft site and search for KB828026 (that's the reference Microsoft Knowledge Base ID number for the download in question).

edit: You'll probably need to reboot after applying that patch.

Installed the patch and re-booted but still the same thing.

pfc_m_drake
04-17-04, 04:53 PM
Unfortunately I'm stuck at work at the moment and not as helpful as I otherwise might be able to be. Let me poke around a bit, and if I come up with something else I'll let you know.

edit: You might check 1 thing in the meantime. Start Media Player, and under the 'Player' tab:

Tools
options

Make sure that the 'Acquire licenses automatically' box is checked.

nissan gtp
04-17-04, 05:01 PM
Unfortunately I'm stuck at work at the moment and not as helpful as I otherwise might be able to be. Let me poke around a bit, and if I come up with something else I'll let you know.

edit: You might check 1 thing in the meantime. Start Media Player, and under the 'Player' tab:

Tools
options

In the security tab, I checked "run script commands when present" and am now getting beeps :saywhat: and "Long Beach Song" as the title.

KLang
04-17-04, 05:02 PM

Tools
options

It is checked.