PDA

View Full Version : The Latest Out Of Rumor Control At LB

Dave99
04-16-04, 11:36 PM
I have fourth-hand information from a very unreliable non-media source that representatives from both Toyota and Honda are at LB this weekend.

Highly unlikely but if true, maybe they're just killing time untill NASCAR at Fontana in two weeks. They certainly wouldn't be interested in ChampCar. Again. Would they? :confused:

Mike Kellner
04-16-04, 11:48 PM
Yes, but they are looking for the best places for the suicide bombers to strike. I am sure they will have no trouble recruiting them over at Track Forum or SpeedNet:IRL.

mk

Methanolandbrats
04-16-04, 11:59 PM
I have fourth-hand information from a very unreliable non-media source that representatives from both Toyota and Honda are at LB this weekend.

Highly unlikely but if true, maybe they're just killing time untill NASCAR at Fontana in two weeks. They certainly wouldn't be interested in ChampCar. Again. Would they? :confused: Yes they would be. Perhaps they are tired of acres of aluminum and clouds of carbon fiber shards. The PR war is also turning........and nobody wants to be associated with a sheitcloud.

nrc
04-17-04, 12:35 AM
If there's any truth to it then it may just be more nefarious goings on. Perhaps trying to sway the promoter into replacing ChampCar with some other series.

But we can always hope that they've accepted that they've failed to squash ChampCar and they're ready to talk about future engine rules. Of course I, for one, would just as soon see another 10 years of Cosworth spec engines as see the owners of ChampCar sell their souls to Honda and Toyota the way CART's former team owners and the entire IRL have done.

Jay
04-17-04, 12:50 AM
Well...it is still called the "Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach"... I'm sure there must be quite a contingent there from that... and who knows perhaps there's a Honda dealer or two sponsoring the event.

If they're doing anything with the teams, it's likely trying to recruit more to join their IRL operations with sacks of cash... though I doubt CART would allow them to do that.

Dave99
04-17-04, 12:54 AM
If there's any truth to it then it may just be more nefarious goings on. Perhaps trying to sway the promoter into replacing ChampCar with some other series.
Interesting take, one I hadn't considered. Tough call for the LBGPA to make. Especially considering the impressive turnout today for Champ Car. Friday at that.

redmist
04-17-04, 01:58 AM
were they walking around with brown paper bags full of yen?

Lola_B70
04-17-04, 03:40 AM
Is it possible these Japanese manufacturers are there to hand out more golden checks to sucker American sellouts. So that they may line there pockets with yen while tearing the fabric of OW in America and turning there backs on the fans who cheered them.
Maybe. Perhaps?
Who knows.
They do.
Bad karma gentlemen...bad karma.

gjc2
04-17-04, 10:07 AM
If representatives from both Toyota and Honda are at Long Beach it can only be a good sign. Strolling the Champ Car paddock trying to persuade teams to defect would be a despicable act. Discussions and offers would be made in private, away form the eyes of team members, etc. The Toyota guys could be there because of the event sponsorship and maybe Honda want to sponsor an event.

I really believe we will win eventually. The IRL is going nowhere. How long are ABC, the engine manufactures and the sponsors going to put up with empty stands and lousy TV numbers. The triad of evil has convinced big teams, big name drivers and big sponsors to switch, but there has not been any improvement the IRL's popularity and the Indianapolis 500 is not held in as high regard as it once was.

George

lateralus42
04-17-04, 10:49 AM
Another forum is saying that TG is at Long beach as well this weekend. If we CART fans lose Long Beach to the IRL, there will a full on revolt. :mad:

Spicoli
04-17-04, 10:58 AM
YenMonkeys are at every race. Big deal.

pchall
04-17-04, 11:15 AM
Another forum is saying that TG is at Long beach as well this weekend. If we CART fans lose Long Beach to the IRL, there will a full on revolt. :mad:

Wasn't he supposed to be at Motegi bending over for ¥¥¥?

FTG
04-17-04, 11:20 AM
Rumor is TG is at Long Beach.

Good news for local drug dealers. Bad news for everyone else.

Corner5
04-17-04, 11:45 AM
Rumor is TG is at Long Beach.

Good news for local drug dealers. Bad news for everyone else.

^^^^
Cracked me up! (sorry, couldn't resist)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed_Severson
04-17-04, 11:51 AM
Here's my question ... who in the hell lets these people in the door?

If somebody allowed Tony George to set foot inside the gate at Long Beach, he should have his balls sawed off.

That is all.

devilmaster
04-17-04, 12:02 PM
I always figured if I ever got the chance, I'll just punch out Tony, then start a webpage asking for donations to my defense fund. I figure i'll be able to pay for all legal fees, and still have enough left over to start a 1 car champcar team... ;) :laugh:

Steve

rabbit
04-17-04, 12:48 PM
I always figured if I ever got the chance, I'll just punch out Tony, then start a webpage asking for donations to my defense fund. I figure i'll be able to pay for all legal fees, and still have enough left over to start a 1 car champcar team... ;) :laugh:

SteveHeck, you could probably get Nappy or pinneped to work pro-bono. :D

FRANKY
04-17-04, 12:53 PM
Here's my question ... who in the hell lets these people in the door?

If somebody allowed Tony George to set foot inside the gate at Long Beach, he should have his balls sawed off.

That is all.

Toyota probably let him in. Need a new sponsor for the race to keep him out.

nrc
04-17-04, 12:58 PM
I suspect the promoter will allow in just about anyone who pays for a ticket and a paddock pass.

FRANKY
04-17-04, 01:03 PM
I suspect the promoter will allow in just about anyone who pays for a ticket and a paddock pass.
Bet someone snaps a picture with him and at least one of the three amigos. Fueling you know what.

Spicoli
04-17-04, 01:42 PM
Bet someone snaps a picture with him and at least one of the three amigos. Fueling you know what.

:shakehead

nrc
04-17-04, 01:53 PM

What? Rumors that KK suggested that he go take a long walk on the beach and pound some sand?

skaven
04-17-04, 01:57 PM
Serious question - how long is the current contract with Long Beach?

When does it expire/ when can TG and Toyota try to outbid Champcar? :mad:

TedN
04-17-04, 03:32 PM
Yes, but they are looking for the best places for the suicide bombers to strike.

mk

That comment is incredible in it's bad taste.

Ted

:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

rabbit
04-17-04, 03:45 PM
That comment is incredible in it's bad taste.

TedI can count on one hand the number of people who can get away with saying it.

Mike is the first.

dreamracer
04-17-04, 03:49 PM
Serious question - how long is the current contract with Long Beach?

When does it expire/ when can TG and Toyota try to outbid Champcar? :mad:

It's through 05, IIRC.

Dave99
04-18-04, 02:47 AM
Spoke with both Kevin Kalkhoven and Dick Eidswick directly re: T & H reps.

Both know nothing about it.

Another baseless rumor I suppose. Sorry 'bout that.

/thread

Napoleon
04-18-04, 08:28 AM
Heck, you could probably get Nappy or pinneped to work pro-bono. :D

Hired gun reporting, ready, willing, able to sue!

JT265
04-18-04, 08:41 AM
Heck, you could probably get Nappy or pinneped to work pro-bono. :D

True. On a related note, I almost worked with Sonny Bono.

Once.

:D