PDA

View Full Version : A message for all of you

Ed_Severson
04-16-04, 01:55 AM
Okay ... I know I'm not the most popular member here, and I don't participate much, but I wanted to share this with you guys.

I've been busting my rear end in mechanical engineering school for the last few years, hoping to eventually make a career out of this crazy sport we all love. I don't want to ruin things for myself, so I'm not going to give any of the nitty gritty details in public, but I'm on the verge of landing an internship with a Champ Car team, and I'm excited as hell.

Those of you who are somewhat familiar with me know how vigorously I oppose the IRL and any of its efforts to do away with Champ Car racing, as is the case with the vast majority of the membership here. There have been some heated discussions and I've said some things to a few people that I probably shouldn't have, simply because I take this topic so seriously. Now you know why -- Champ Car racing could, quite literally, be my livelihood.

Everybody here has given at the very least their time, and in many cases, money and a ton of energy to support this sport. I think we all look forward to seeing it continue for a long time to come, and I'm sure we'll all be there, heart and soul, through every minute of it. As somebody who is trying to make a career out of working in the sport, I wanted to take a minute to thank you guys for everything you do to support Champ Car -- I know the people already working in the sport appreciate it, and if I'm lucky enough to be one of them, I will as well.

But, I didn't really intend for this message to be about me -- it's about all of us. Last season was great, and last season was rough. We put up with a lot of bull**** over the winter and shared a lot of nervous moments together. But we made it, and we're now less than 12 hours away from the first practice session of the 2004 season.

Enjoy it, folks. You've earned it. :thumbup:

Kiwifan
04-16-04, 02:10 AM
You lucky bastard!!! Look, if you get the job then I want you to think of us fans hanging over the security fence dreaming about working for a team. :)

I appreciate that there is so much hard work involved but I gotta say I think it would be fantastic.

Good luck mate and all the best for the future. Go them Champ Cars!!! :thumbup:

Rusty.

chop456
04-16-04, 02:39 AM
Nice post.

Best of luck, Sir.

Robstar
04-16-04, 02:44 AM
Congratulations Ed (& to quote Rusty "YOU LUCK BASTARD !"
Good Luck mate... :thumbup:

Hook Rusty & I up in Surfers when you're working for a team ! ;)

flobee1kenobi
04-16-04, 06:31 AM
We have received your resume and thank you for your interest in employment with us.
We do not currently have a position requiring your qualfications.
Your resume will be shared with the appropriate department and the original kept on file for one year should a suitable position become available.

We wish you success in your career search.

Human Resources,
Champ Car World Series, LLC

Hey-at least they have my resume....
Go get um Ed! :thumbup:

You need to get that job so we have someone to heckle at the races :laugh:

Warlock!
04-16-04, 07:30 AM
Waytago, Ed. When most people/organizations were bailing on Champcar because of the uncertain future, you're choosing to make it your livelyhood and show your support. It don't get more allegiant than that...

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Warlock!

skidmarks
04-16-04, 09:07 AM
We have received your resume and thank you for your interest in employment with us.
We do not currently have a brewery and therefore have no need for a beer taster. Nor do we need a judge for hospitality tent food, binki waxes, or "talent" scout for grid girls.
Your resume will be shared with the appropriate department and the original kept on file for one year should a suitable position become available.

We wish you success in your career search.

Human Resources,
Champ Car World Series, LLC

Shucks.

flobee1kenobi
04-16-04, 09:18 AM
LOL :laugh: :laugh:

Madmaxfan2
04-16-04, 09:29 AM
Congratulations and welcome to the world of Mechanical Engineering. I have a BSME , but do not work for a champ car team, working for FORD does not make me an insider, unlike some delusional posters on TF who fancy themselves as media insiders. What some here may not appreciate about working for a champ car team is one must give 110% for the effort, and personal time is a premium. I think you will be in for some long Saturday summer nights when looking for that last 0.01 of a second. But I am imagine you already know that is in the cards. Good Luck Ed and hope will enjoy your new found career in Champ Cars. Efforts like yours is what makes the sport go around and appealing to us fans, unlike some inbred rich gomer from Indiana.

JT265
04-16-04, 09:38 AM
Great stuff Ed! :thumbup:

Having been down that road, there are a lotta times when you question the hours spent on planes, in airports, not to mention the "all-nighters" at the track.

That said, I would give Warlock's left nut to be back at the track, 'specially for Long Beach. :thumbup: ;)

Night Train
04-16-04, 09:52 AM
Congrats on the degree! I have a BSME as well and it's one of my greatest accomplishments.

Good luck with the internship!

rabbit
04-16-04, 09:54 AM
Good luck Ed. :thumbup:

Corner5
04-16-04, 10:13 AM
Congrats on the job, we'll buy you a beer at RA!

Warlock!
04-16-04, 10:45 AM
That said, I would give Warlock's left nut to be back at the track, 'specially for Long Beach. :thumbup: ;)
You realize you'll have to ask my wife for it, right? I quit carrying them long ago... they seemed to slow me down. :(

Jervis Tetch 1
04-16-04, 12:30 PM
Congrats Ed. I for one have enjoyed your posts here and on the old 7G. I hope you enjoy your time there as I did for 10 years. I was also in the I*L for a year (99) and while I didn't enjoy my time there, I was still among SOME friends.

Just some advice. Keep you mouth shut, do your work and you'll fly away.

That's a good thing.

Now rock on to Pearl Jam.

anait
04-16-04, 01:12 PM
That said, I would give Warlock's left nut to be back at the track, 'specially for Long Beach.

You realize you'll have to ask my wife for it, right? I quit carrying them long ago... they seemed to slow me down.

As my husband said to friends, while tugging at the edge of his pant leg: "These? Decorative only!" :D

RichK
04-16-04, 01:23 PM
Congratulations on the degree, Ed! Let us know where you end up, I'm sure we'll all say howdy to you at our respective home tracks.

Lola_B70
04-16-04, 01:42 PM
Congratulations Ed. I am sure you will land the job and once you do, you'll do all you can to win.
Amen on the B.S. we had to deal with, now let's enjoy our season. ;)

Amanda B.'s Mom
04-16-04, 06:20 PM
Ed,

Best of luck in your chosen career.

Who knows, someday you and Amanda may work for the same team.

Hot Rod Otis
04-16-04, 07:47 PM
:thumbup: Congrats Ed, and best of luck. :thumbup:

cart7
04-16-04, 07:58 PM
Congrats Ed, you're about to enter a world most of us dream about. Good luck. :thumbup:

Ziggy
04-17-04, 09:13 AM
Best of Luck, get some rest when you can

Ziggy

lone_groover
04-17-04, 12:45 PM
Congrats Ed!

Don't forget to put an F.T.G. next to the B.S. on your C.V.

:)

Ankf00
04-18-04, 01:31 AM
look at it this way, if you're employed with fabio or AJ #14, you'll be busy busy busy with your work :D

tomahawk
04-18-04, 08:54 AM
Nice post - good luck Ed!

:tomahawk

Napoleon
04-19-04, 12:47 PM
Good luck Ed