PDA

View Full Version : My annual Concrete Canyon sliloquy

Railbird
04-15-04, 11:18 PM
With the crown jewel of the CART racing season about to kick off on the scenic streets of Long Beach this weekend we're about to witness both the historic roots and quite possibly the promised future of the CCWS. While street courses have always played a supporting part in this championship series it now appears that they will assume the lead roll for the foreseeable future.

What some view as little more than parades around a party others see as the circuits most demanding of the driver's skills. Flawless precision is the requirement with bullheaded bravado rewarding only those looking for a short day. While the wheel to wheel action one sees at the speedways may be missing at Long Beach or Vancouver, IMO, the pure driving skills of the Champcar brigade are far better tested in the concrete canyons than at any other type venue...Even with the hundred mph speed differential, the entry to turn one at Long Beach is much more of a challenge to get right than the entry into turn one at any superspeedway ...While the ovals, particularly the big ones, offer a variety of paths to negotiate their corners, the streetcourse lines are razor thin..One slip in a ten tenths lap can knock a corner off a contender at Long Beach while a huge push on the highbanks usually results in the rare throttle lift and a loss of a few positions..

The fact that the barrier height makes most of the turns at least partialy blind serves only to complicate the task of hustling 750hp down a straightaway that is essentialy a tunnel from the drivers point of view..The occasional suprise appearence of a stalled car or an errant wheel is bound to happen no matter how vigilant the corner workers may be...When heading from a 180mph straight to a mile a minute right hander, with the right front tire already smoking under braking, all the yellow flag waving in the world isn't going to do a h=ll of a lot of good...Couple that with the faith necessary to spool that bad boy up before you have an unobstructed sight line down the next straight and you're looking at a true test of courage and will...

Unlike the continual position swapping one sees on a superspeedway, a mid race pass for the lead on a street course is a nail biting drama that unfolds over several laps. and more than likely will have a impact on the event itself... Watching a driver stalk the leader with feints and bluffs until he is rewarded with his prey's slightes slip off line is far more intriguing to me than watching a pack out fumble each other in a drafting que.

While the preparation of the car and the cohesivness of the crew are often sighted as the most important part of any assault on the series title on the streets the driver and his ability to be quick while remaining squeeky clean are highlighted more than anywhere else..It does no good to have the quickest crew and the best prepared package if your car only has three corners attached when it arrives in the pits..

The streets tend to be a physical challenge as well....No permanent course on the schedule makes the demands on a driver like the tight and bumpy confines of the city courses...After 500 miles on a speedway most of the drivers step out looking like they might just be warmed up enough to be ready for some serioues exertion..After two hours in the streets most of them crawl out looking decidedly second hand..The physical pounding and mentaly draining aspect of Long Beach, Toronto, Vancouver etc. is uncomparable at any oval offering in the world...

Not wanting to knock the speedways, beautiful places like Laguna Seca, or even Cleveland's racey temp course, but IMO the demands of the concrete canyons are the truest test of pure driving skill in the CCWS.

Either that or I'm just jacked up for Long Beach this weekend.

Drop the Flag

Indy area viewing (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3989)

devilmaster
04-15-04, 11:23 PM
Methinks 'Bird is being removed from TG's Christmas card list as we speak....

Good post, sir. :thumbup:

Steve

lone_groover
04-15-04, 11:24 PM
I say both - and very well put.

:thumbup:

:p :p :p

rabbit
04-15-04, 11:41 PM
We reeeeaally need a standing ovation smilie. :thumbup:

WB, can you hook us up?

tantra
04-15-04, 11:50 PM
Excellent! (as usual). Thanks.
I enjoy reading posts that reflect the in depth knowledge and passion a writer has for our sport. The only regret is that I know that the writer is past the age (waaaay past the age :) to be jumping into one of those rockets and experiencing those challenges and thrills first hand.

Enjoy the races, bird. This off-season has been the worst one ever for me, but if the new guys can keep it together we will have many more hours of thrills for yet another year.

skidmarks
04-15-04, 11:52 PM
Can I get that on a t-shirt? Bumper sticker?

pfc_m_drake
04-16-04, 12:47 AM
I'm a fan of all types of circuits. However, perhaps due to the fact that I went to my first ever race in Toronto, I too have a love for the concrete canyons. And one thing's for sure...the first time you cross a spectator bridge and a champ car screams underneath you with all its sounds echoing off the canyon walls...it's something you'll not soon forget.

As a movie I'm very fond of points out, the future's not set...and there's no fate but what we make for ourselves. Who knows what the future of ChampCar will bring? Hopefully a long life to come...but at the very least, come this weekend, the crown jewel is upon us...and we lived to play one more day.

Drop the flag.

Anteater
04-16-04, 12:52 AM
'Bird, you rock! :thumbup:

BigIrlFan
04-16-04, 01:05 AM
OH Give me a brake. WHAt a bucnh of BS. Tryng to dress up a pig agin hahahahaha THey aint noting more than 20 mile an hour corners and you want to belive us that is racing? hahahahahaha HElls BElles you boys better stay up tomroow night and wathc some real racing LIVE From JAPan baby. I know tomorow bout this time Im gone to be good and drunk and wathc them INDy Racers race on a real track even if it aint int he US. ITs still and ohval. THe INDy Racers drive on street to get to the race track. They dont race on them hahahahahahaha

BIf#

THe IRl - JEsus drove our pace car

manic mechanic
04-16-04, 01:26 AM
Can I get that on a t-shirt? Bumper sticker?

I remember one a few years ago from race ready designs that fairly well summed it up: It had a sketch of a champcar at speed and the saying
"Well, yes, as a matter of fact, it IS rocket science!".

Nice job, Mr. 'Bird...Now as to your editor... :rofl:

manic

Lizzerd
04-16-04, 01:48 AM
Great post, 'bird. I agree. The excitment of the stalk and pounce over a half dozen or more laps to me beats the lap to lap leap frogging of the foot-to-the-floor and turn left races any day. And I include the Hanford device races at MIS and Fontana in that statement. Looking back at this thread (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3979) emphasizes my (and your) point.

"Okay, dude, got balls? Pass me. I dare you."

"Yeah, I got balls, here I come."

Kiwifan
04-16-04, 03:52 AM
Thanks 'bird. I love and admire your passion. No bullshirt, no drama, no namecalling just a love for our sport.

Thank you Sir. :thumbup:

Rusty.

Madmaxfan2
04-16-04, 09:32 AM
WoW 'Bird! So powerful are your words that Bif had to pop up.

JT265
04-16-04, 09:46 AM
I've been stalking that post for a few years now, and it don't get old or dated at all.

Great stuff 'Bird! :thumbup:

PS: BiF#, where are those coiled snakes racin' agin? ;)

Corner5
04-16-04, 10:26 AM
We reeeeaally need a standing ovation smilie. :thumbup:

WB, can you hook us up?

Railbird-
http://deephousepage.com/smilies/bis.gif

Bravo!!!! :D

pchall
04-16-04, 10:41 AM
This is why I give 'bird a teriyaki chicken sandwich and a beer instead of a punch in the mouth on any race weekend. ;)

Don Quixote
04-16-04, 12:17 PM
Thanks 'bird. I love this time of year. :)

Don Quixote
04-07-06, 04:06 PM
Bump.

devilmaster
04-07-06, 04:22 PM
Bump.

damn straight.

pchall
04-07-06, 04:43 PM
Bump.

Thanks for bumping this.

We remember.

formulaben
04-07-06, 04:49 PM
This is why I come here. You guys rock.

I'll be raising a glass when the green drops...

racer2c
04-07-06, 05:14 PM
Miss ya 'bird.

Lizzerd
04-07-06, 05:30 PM
RIP, my friend. Thanks for the bump, Don.

"Bring me the head of Fabrizio del Monte!"

Drop the flag.

DjDrOmusic
04-07-06, 05:43 PM
We'll have a moment for you Sunday 'bird... :thumbup:

sundaydriver2
04-07-06, 11:56 PM
Bird was a great writer and I miss reading his posts.

I'm sure my race brethren at the LBGP will hoist a drink for him.

Lizzerd
04-08-06, 12:14 AM
Ironic sub plot: LBGP '05 was John's last Champ Car race.

Cam
04-08-06, 08:53 AM
Man I miss John! :( Will hoist a beer in hizzoner when the flag drops on Sunday.... :cry:

Andrew Longman
04-08-06, 09:41 AM
Bump.

Miss ya bird

Nick51
04-08-06, 10:53 AM
Hey thanks for the bump. Good thoughts from a pretty good guy. Very nice to read for the season opener this weekend! :D

Anteater
04-08-06, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the bump; I miss 'bird and will be thinking of him this weekend.