PDA

View Full Version : ChampCar is dead

Wabbit
04-13-04, 03:25 PM
Haven't heard that one in a little while :D

Another site says there is a rumor that a 2-car team will defect Friday morning at Long Beach for the IRL.

JLMannin
04-13-04, 03:31 PM
Haven't heard that one in a little while :D

Another site says there is a rumor that a 2-car team will defect Friday morning at Long Beach for the IRL.

OK, I'll start a rumor, right here, right now. I have heard that there is a possibility that the IRL 500 may be run clockwise this year. Now go to another website and post "Another site says there is a rumor that the Indy 500 will be run clockwise this year to introduce the concept of right turns in the IRL"

:rolleyes:

MAXAR RE
04-13-04, 03:37 PM
Yeah, AR1 ran that rumor about a week ago as well, but they figured it was Walker. I cannot picture Dale Coyne being a sell-out. The man used to bring his own car to the races behind his pickup truck. He lives for Champ Car. For the 2 years he couldn't field a car during the searson, he still operated his shop, and CART paid him to take his cars to places like Rockingham and do track testing to make sure the place was Champ Car-worthy.

Rahal became a businessman and sold out when he say $$$. Ganassi has always followed money, and wasn't a surprise. Penske only cares about the bricks. Patrick just wants to one-up his old Rival Penske again. Adrian got duped by Honda and now regrets it. But no way can I see Coyne dropping out at the last second; he loves the sport too much.

This discussion is moot anyway; PKV and Rocketsports are both prepared to field last-second 3rd cars just in case something like this were to actually happen, so the magic 18 will still be there. And the Hemelgarn deal is still supposed to happen in time for Monterey.

Hurling Frootmig
04-13-04, 03:50 PM
Coyne won't sell out. The guys he has lined up to drive for him have a road racing background and probably have no interest in hitting the walls of the IRL. Coyne has a long association with Ford so Honda Yen probably doesn't have the same appeal as it does for Rahal and Fernandez.

Patrick is running Unser's car out of the Walker shop. It's a Patrick operation in name only. All of the Patrick operation is gone. Pat's ready to retire and no one else in the family will continue racing after he leaves the sport.

ChampcarShark
04-13-04, 04:50 PM
but the sky is falling, can't you see... all those brick pieces coming apart... :gomer:

ooops sorry, I meant the indy 4?? is dead.

racer2c
04-13-04, 04:58 PM
I bet a six pack, no make that an entire twelve pack of Busch Lite (in cans) that this rumor started by someone who works for a 'league'. :rolleyes:

rabbit
04-13-04, 05:00 PM
I bet a six pack, no make that an entire twelve pack of Busch Lite (in cans) that this rumor started by someone who works for a 'league'. :rolleyes:
Hey, wait a minute! I thought you said you drank that. :confused: What is it, a 12-pack of empties?

racer2c
04-13-04, 05:02 PM
Hey, wait a minute! I thought you said you drank that. :confused: What is it, a 12-pack of empties?
I got a whole fridge in my garage packed full of em! :D

rabbit
04-13-04, 05:11 PM
I got a whole fridge in my garage packed full of em! :DWow. You sure know how to stretch $5! :eek: :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
04-13-04, 05:54 PM

I think the loser gets the 12 pack of Busch Lite. :eek:

G.
04-13-04, 06:17 PM
I think the loser gets the 12 pack of Busch Lite. :eek:Reminds me of college. Roommate's dad comes out for weekend. Cool guy, partyer. Leaving on Sunday, graciously offers us his last 12 pack of Hamm's Light. We tell him to take it with, we won't drink it. Man! He got PO'ed! "I'm offering you FREE beer and you won't take it?!?" "But...but it's Hamm's Light". Roommate didn't get any spending money for months after that! :laugh:

Insomniac
04-13-04, 08:48 PM
You're all wrong. On Friday, the three amigos will announce that they will run Long Beach and then are selling out to the IRL to ensure a real bump day.

dreamracer
04-13-04, 10:19 PM
Coyne had Lolas on track at Fontana today... it's not Coyne.
The "rumor" is hooey