PDA

View Full Version : Now you know Grand Am is a joke

Napoleon
02-01-03, 02:03 PM
Not only did I see an IRL flag in the crowd at Daytona a few minutes ago, which tells you the fans are clueless, but they had to place the car that qualified on the pole behind those ugly prototypes.

racermike
02-01-03, 03:04 PM
that Series is a complete joke, and failure

Daytona is only a shadow of its former self

Funny how the IRL and ISC are determined to drive American motorsports into the ground. They are certainly trying their best to do so.

The Fans dont show up for IRL or Grand-Am, and they are not fooling anyone.

What a pile of crap !!!!!!!!!!

DaveL
02-01-03, 03:12 PM
I'm watching.

I was in horror when I found out that there were only 2 tire mfgs allowed. Used to be there'd be 8-10 different tire companies out there.

I can understand there being practically no cars in the Daytona Prototype class. But for the GT fields to be that thin tells you what the sports car fraternity thinks of the France vision of sports car racing.

I'll continue to watch the race, but I think the product is crap this year.

cart7
02-01-03, 07:52 PM
I'm watching to, but they've taken the "proto" out of the "type". Getting to see the exotics go head to head is a lot of the fun. ISC has watered that down just like their own fendered series.:o

JSR
02-01-03, 07:59 PM
I'm watching too.

rabbit
02-01-03, 08:10 PM
I'm kinda new to SportsCar racing, but three GT class cars in the top four already seems kind of silly to me.

DaveL
02-01-03, 08:41 PM
Considering the attrition in only the first quarter of the race with only 44 cars starting, the very last thing the cars running in the final three hours will have to worry about his traffic.

cart7
02-01-03, 09:08 PM
Not only are the proto's having a handfull passing the GT's on the oval section, but the GT Porches are actually outbraking the Proto's in the first turn off the oval!!:eek:

What a joke.:rolleyes:

Napoleon
02-02-03, 08:35 AM
Well all I watched was a few minutes of the start. That is all I will be watching of Grand Am this year. Everyone keep me informed of how bad it really is.

pchall
02-02-03, 11:58 AM
It looks like the GT Porsche will take it. And 3rd will go to the GT Ferrari.

Thanks for fixing sportscar racing! :p

DaveL
02-02-03, 03:01 PM
It was a cakewalk for a GT3 Porsche. The car led for over half the race. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the GT3's swept the podium.

Without taking anything away from the hard work that went into these efforts as I'm sure everyone involved busted their collective asses to produce the runs the cars delivered, there is still something very wrong when 3 cars from the slowest GT class take the first three spots.

And a reminder for those keeping score: Daytona had 44 starters. Sebring has a record number of entries.

Great job Mr. France. I'm sure you compare notes with Idiotgrandson on how to fix a given form of the sport.

ChrisB
02-02-03, 04:13 PM
I tuned in from time to time, and the event really does seem like a shadow of it's former self. The track also looks kinda cheesy.

Why did the Frances start GrandAm anyway? Did they think the Daytona24 was some kind of premier "sovereign event" (like the Indy 500) that needed to be protected from outside control... so they started a whole series for it?

I've posted this before, and I know a lot will disagree.. but I wouldn't mind seeing the Sebring 12hr become a 24hr. Sebring has probably become the defacto premier American sportscar endurance event among the more knowledgable racefans, but to the general public the Daytona 24 probably carries more clout because of it's "24hr" designation. Making Sebring into a "24 hr" race would probably do the trick, and move it above Daytona for certain.

Peter Venkman
02-02-03, 08:26 PM
Like the IRL, the NASCAR/GranAmerican series stinks.

DaveL
02-02-03, 08:42 PM
Kyle Petty was driving with a German young gun named Mark Leib and kept singing his praises during interviews.

Imagine the reaction if Kyle put him in one of his Cup or Busch cars and he kicked butt. Personally, I have no doubt that if you took a stud GT driver like Lohr, Maasson, or Kelleners and gave them enough seat time they'd do fine in the tin tops.

Racing Truth
01-04-05, 03:55 PM
NOTE: YES, I KNOW THIS THREAD IS TWO YEARS OLD. NO NEED TO RESPOND.

Anyhoo, I was interested to see what the initial reaction to the DP's was at the beginning. I was still at 7G only at this point, but many will recall a similar reaction there. Hell, I thought it was a stupid joke of an idea.

Just interesting to note that even some in this thread have turned around on this, as I have. The point: Sure, some will never like it, but the thought that a surprising number around here do says a good deal about how far they've come, and the "genius" :rolleyes: that is Don Panoz.

Carry on.

Sean O'Gorman
01-04-05, 04:06 PM
Wow, DaveL really came along. When are the rest of you going to get a clue? ;)

Entry list for Daytona Test Days:

http://www.grand-am.com/Events/EntryList.asp?EventID=73

I'd like to know when the last time there were so many talented drivers running in such competitive cars in any race? Even Paul Newman has interest in the series now.

RichK
01-04-05, 04:10 PM

NEVAH!

:laugh:

Actually, if the cars get faster and the driver list stays interesting, I'll start watching.

Racing Truth
01-04-05, 04:13 PM

Entry list for Daytona Test Days:

http://www.grand-am.com/Events/EntryList.asp?EventID=73

I'd like to know when the last time there were so many talented drivers running in such competitive cars in any race? Even Paul Newman has interest in the series now.

I'd forgotten that Jimmie Johnson was doing this too. This is gonna be an excellent motor race.

Even Rob Dyson is involved now.

Look, there are still major issues, BUT they have done something right.

pchall
01-04-05, 04:37 PM
I'd forgotten that Jimmie Johnson was doing this too. This is gonna be an excellent motor race.

Even Rob Dyson is involved now.

Look, there are still major issues, BUT they have done something right.

I'm still skeptical. Yes, the cars last season raced closely but were woefully underpowered and mostly still butt ugly. It was painful to watch them beyond the first commercial break whenever had the misfortune to tune in. So, they are getting faster? New tires take care of that. So, NASCRAP heroes are impressed by guys who can turn left and right and use the brakes and gearbox?

I still resent the NASCRAPIZATION of sports/endurance racing in this country, but, then, I still resent the NASCRAPIZATION of NASCAR during the 1980s

chop456
01-04-05, 04:39 PM
"

Skater_36
01-04-05, 05:29 PM
I still resent the NASCRAPIZATION of sports/endurance racing in this country, but, then, I still resent the NASCRAPIZATION of NASCAR during the 1980s

That about sums it up. I think the French are hoping their series will appeal to the new fans. Maybe it will, but the cars don't come close to the old prototypes. (512's etc)

cart7
01-04-05, 05:41 PM
Who's that Napolean guy? ;)

Andrew Longman
01-04-05, 05:50 PM
The only reasons I will watch the D24hr is because in a few weeks I will be jones-ing so bad for some racing I will watch anything and I don't care if they are skateboard, racing anything for 24 hrs is pretty impressive.

But as for Daytona prototypes I have no interest in watching them at any other point in the season and the Frances' idea of sports car racing is bizarre to me.

Long gone are the days of watching exotic Porsche prototype finishing 1-2-3 or waking up in the morning watching some guy named Max Papis in a Ferrari almost pull one out of his backside.

NismoZ
01-04-05, 06:13 PM
So, what is it?...a starting field of 74 with 33 DPs? What can ALMS send up against that, a GTP field 5 deep? Maybe 5 GTSs? It's not about speed or exotica, it's about cost. Fans not needed, just a Daytona victory. Sound familiar?

racer2c
01-04-05, 06:28 PM
I'm still skeptical. Yes, the cars last season raced closely but were woefully underpowered and mostly still butt ugly. It was painful to watch them beyond the first commercial break whenever had the misfortune to tune in. So, they are getting faster? New tires take care of that. So, NASCRAP heroes are impressed by guys who can turn left and right and use the brakes and gearbox?

:thumbup:

Racewriter
01-04-05, 08:15 PM
So, what is it?...a starting field of 74 with 33 DPs? What can ALMS send up against that, a GTP field 5 deep? Maybe 5 GTSs? It's not about speed or exotica, it's about cost. Fans not needed, just a Daytona victory. Sound familiar?

Actually, I think they start a maximum of 70 cars.

If that's true, it means there will be bumping at the Rolex.

ALMS has - maybe - 3-5 LMP1's.

Ankf00
01-04-05, 08:25 PM
look guys, if OGorman is THIS much behind it, it must suck. it's OGorman, he watches the Browns ffs...

gerhard911
01-04-05, 08:26 PM
Crapwagon coupe`s ? :shakehead

NO THANKS, I don't care what :gomer: 's driving (PLN excepted)

Railbird
01-04-05, 08:46 PM
I'll be watching, like others have said it's the first race in months. I'm even thinking of attending the M/O round as it's a Saturday evening event I believe.

I'm still wondering why they bothered to put the engines in the rear.

btw, is "lil' E" in or did the incinerating incident of last year scare him off?

Sean O'Gorman
01-04-05, 09:05 PM
look guys, if OGorman is THIS much behind it, it must suck. it's OGorman, he watches the Browns ffs...

I don't like the Browns, moron. :p

I'm still wondering why they bothered to put the engines in the rear.

Because the people who are paying to drive these cars want to drive mid-engined prototypes? Otherwise they'd run in Trans-Am. Probably much easier to get a top 10 in that series anyway.

racer2c
01-04-05, 09:12 PM

I've never been one for manipulated, dictator controlled racing in the name of 'visions' and I think Grand am falls close to that. if it ends up doing some things right, then that’s fine and dandy. hell, 25million NASCAR fans think tube frames, pushrod, carbureted (yuck) "stock cars" are fine as wine. At least I understand the attraction, the drivers are true celebrities, the cars are secondary. But I'll never, ever understand how truly knowledgeable racing enthusiast can back their horse up to such a product. A passing nod to the things done right, sure, but carrying their banner?

I've been around racing for quite awhile and I remember well the upped turned noses in the 70's towards all things NASCAR from the racing elite i.e. open wheel community, mainstream auto journalists, sports car fans. Those same noses wouldn't have given Grand Am a second sniff.
Things sure have changed and I'm still trying to come to grips with the numerous Caddy SUV's with big 18's and 8’s in their back window. In the big scheme of things, racing today sucks. A mere shadow of it's former greatness. A real GD shame, because it doesn’t have to be.
People buy Ashley Simpson music, the record companies make us more.

Sean O'Gorman
01-04-05, 09:31 PM
I've never been one for manipulated, dictator controlled racing in the name of 'visions' and I think Grand am falls close to that. if it ends up doing some things right, then that’s fine and dandy. hell, 25million NASCAR fans think tube frames, pushrod, carbureted (yuck) "stock cars" are fine as wine. At least I understand the attraction, the drivers are true celebrities, the cars are secondary. But I'll never, ever understand how truly knowledgeable racing enthusiast can back their horse up to such a product. A passing nod to the things done right, sure, but carrying their banner?

I've been around racing for quite awhile and I remember well the upped turned noses in the 70's towards all things NASCAR from the racing elite i.e. open wheel community, mainstream auto journalists, sports car fans. Those same noses wouldn't have given Grand Am a second sniff.
Things sure have changed and I'm still trying to come to grips with the numerous Caddy SUV's with big 18's and 8’s in their back window. In the big scheme of things, racing today sucks. A mere shadow of it's former greatness. A real GD shame, because it doesn’t have to be.
People buy Ashley Simpson music, the record companies make us more.

You really don't get it, do you?

GRAND-AM IS NOT DUMBED DOWN SPORTS CAR RACING!

How many times do I have to repeat this? Grand-Am exists because sports car racing (a participant driven form of racing) did not have a privateer-friendly series. Sure maybe in Off Camber Fantasy Land every private entrant has $10,000,000 a year to spend on racing and would just love to blow it all losing to a five year old Audi, but that obviously isn't the case in real life.

Why isn't there the same outrage towards SCCA club racing? It is the same thing as Grand-Am, just on a smaller budget scale.

Dr. Corkski
01-04-05, 09:36 PM

People buy Ashley Simpson music, the record companies make us more.You could have just saved the bandwidth and spared us from another OGorman post just by saying you hate Grand-Am because of NASCAR.

racer2c
01-04-05, 09:43 PM

How many times do I have to repeat this? Grand-Am exists because sports car racing (a participant driven form of racing) did not have a privateer-friendly series. Sure maybe in Off Camber Fantasy Land every private entrant has $10,000,000 a year to spend on racing and would just love to blow it all losing to a five year old Audi, but that obviously isn't the case in real life.

Why isn't there the same outrage towards SCCA club racing? It is the same thing as Grand-Am, just on a smaller budget scale.

My my my such youthful angst! My point, allow me to explain it to you, was about how there was a lack of "outrage" toward all things mediocre in racing, thus we get the IRL and Grand Am. Those against Grans Am here at OC are the last of an old breed of racing elitist and I salute them.
I don't watch Grand Am and never will. For that matter I don't watch the ALMS either. I've never been much for sporty car racin', but the majority who do have explained in much detail why the one is better than the other. I'll leave you to your defense of the mediocre, Salieri.

Methanolandbrats
01-04-05, 09:43 PM

Why isn't there the same outrage towards SCCA club racing? It is the same thing as Grand-Am, just on a smaller budget scale. With all due respect Monsewer, Grand Am is dumbed down compared to the late IMSA and current ALMS. Grand Am is also part of a darkside ISC Cabal to dominate road racing in the USA. Grand Am ruined the Rolex 24 hours and Grand Am never would have been born if the Frances did'nt own Daytona. Geez, that last point sounds familiar. If you enjoy it, that's cool, but I think it sucks hard.

racer2c
01-04-05, 09:44 PM
You could have just saved the bandwidth and spared us from another OGorman post just by saying you hate Grand-Am because of NASCAR.

From now on I'll make sure to submit my posts to you for editing first. :thumdown:

Railbird
01-04-05, 09:52 PM
mid-engined prototypes?

Prototypes of what?

as far as the driver's wishes go I seem to remember more than one or two hustling the Panoz LMP around.

In the case of the DPs I still wonder why they didn't leave the engines in front as the fhe few fans that might be interested seem attracted to such things.

Sean O'Gorman
01-04-05, 09:57 PM
My my my such youthful angst! My point, allow me to explain it to you, was about how there was a lack of "outrage" toward all things mediocre in racing, thus we get the IRL and Grand Am. Those against Grans Am here at OC are the last of an old breed of racing elitist and I salute them.
I don't watch Grand Am and never will. For that matter I don't watch the ALMS either. I've never been much for sporty car racin', but the majority who do have explained in much detail why the one is better than the other. I'll leave you to your defense of the mediocre, Salieri.

Ok, r2c, I understand that you raced at one point, so hopefully it'll be a bit easier for me to explain my position.

Say you test two prototypes on the same day. A DP, and a LMP1, say, a Dallara or something. I'm sure you'd enjoy both, with the Dallara more than likely being the more exciting car.

Then you see the budget required to run each car. Several million to buy a ride in an LMP, perhaps $750,000 to buy a seat for a full season in Grand-Am. And then you look at the competition. The odds of you even finishing on the same lap as another car in your class in any ALMS race is extremely low. At least in Grand-Am, even if you can't keep up with the Ganassi, Citgo, etc. teams, there are still 20-30 other cars out there in your class to race with. Keep in mind that the series with the slower and cheaper cars still has a much deeper talent pool to face up against, so you can't use the excuse that DP competitors are avoiding "real" competition.

Look at things from that view, not as the view of a "pure" racing fan (a person who is far too rare to have any impact on making a series like ALMS successful). Which series would you pick? Poll anyone from a semi-serious autocrosser to an SCCA national racer (such as, say, DSR racer Chad McQueen, who is moving into DPs this year), and they would go with the DP concept.

That being said, how is it the Frances' fault that road racing isn't the way you like it? Clearly they are providing what the competitors want, since they are the ones who make the series happen. Maybe with some serious changes, ALMS could do something to make it at least somewhat appealing to get sponsors to throw money at super-expensive cars, but that definitely isn't going to happen under Panoz.

racer2c
01-04-05, 09:59 PM
Ok, r2c, I understand that you raced at one point, so hopefully it'll be a bit easier for me to explain my position.

Say you test two prototypes on the same day. A DP, and a LMP1, say, a Dallara or something. I'm sure you'd enjoy both, with the Dallara more than likely being the more exciting car.

Then you see the budget required to run each car. Several million to buy a ride in an LMP, perhaps $750,000 to buy a seat for a full season in Grand-Am. And then you look at the competition. The odds of you even finishing on the same lap as another car in your class in ALMS is extremely low. At least in Grand-Am, even if you can't keep up with the Ganassi, Citgo, etc. teams, there are still 20-30 other cars out there in your class to race with. Keep in mind that the series with the slower and cheaper cars still has a deeper talent pool to face up against.

Look at things from that view, not as the view of a "pure" racing fan (a person who is far too rare to have any impact on making a series like ALMS successful). Which series would you pick? Poll anyone from a semi-serious autocrosser to an SCCA national racer (such as, say, DSR racer Chad McQueen, who is moving into DPs this year), and they would go with the DP concept.

That being said, how is it the Frances' fault that road racing isn't the way you like it? Clearly they are providing what the competitors want, since they are the ones who make the series happen. Maybe with some serious changes, ALMS could do something to make it at least somewhat appealing to get sponsors to throw money at super-expensive cars, but that definitely isn't going to happen under Panoz.

Uncle, uncle! It's not my debate, I should have kept my mouth shut. :)

Methanolandbrats
01-04-05, 10:28 PM
I concede the point that the current Grand Am cars are affordable crap. Given that we are at a cyclical low for motorsports, I guess they're pretty cool :) Highs in the cycle were the early 70s, early 90s and hopefully the around 2011 or so. Hell, maybe I'll watch it this year for the drivers in it, not the cars. I'll just keep a puke bag next to my chair just in case :D

cart7
01-04-05, 10:30 PM

Hmm.. you could say something like this about the situation as it currently is in the open wheel split.

"How is it TG's fault that OW racing isn't the way you like it? Clearly they are providing what the competitors want, since they are the ones who make the series happen................... " :eek:

FCYTravis
01-04-05, 10:37 PM
Bad analogy. Clearly TG is not providing what the competitors want - all the small teams have gone away and all that's left are the teams sucking factory yen. Everyone else has found greener pastures.

It comes down to this: In the end, it's about money. That's racing for you. It's all about the money. Racing isn't a charity, and teams are going to gravitate to the series that makes the most financial sense to them. Right now, ALMS doesn't make financial sense whereas Grand-Am does.

You can run a race with no fans, but you can't run a race with no competitors.

Sean O'Gorman
01-04-05, 10:40 PM
Hmm.. you could say something like this about the situation as it currently is in the open wheel split.

"How is it TG's fault that OW racing isn't the way you like it? Clearly they are providing what the competitors want, since they are the ones who make the series happen................... " :eek:

Completely different. The IRL was the answer to a question that no one asked. Plenty of privateers asked for what Grand-Am offers.

Also, the IRL is (or is supposed to be) sponsor-driven. If all sponsorship went away in Grand-Am, the series would still be in decent shape. Obviously you cannot say the same about the IRL.

Racewriter
01-04-05, 11:17 PM
Travis and Sean have this one nicely in hand, but I'll add one more thing:

Clearly the creation of the IRL has taken teams, drivers, and venues from CART/Champcar. Can you honestly point to any DP team and say that they would otherwise be running an LMP, 1 or 2? I can't.

Methanolandbrats
01-05-05, 11:40 AM
Travis and Sean have this one nicely in hand, but I'll add one more thing:

Clearly the creation of the IRL has taken teams, drivers, and venues from CART/Champcar. Can you honestly point to any DP team and say that they would otherwise be running an LMP, 1 or 2? I can't. No. I also cannot believe I just bookmarked the Grand Am Website http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/blackeye/lookaround.gif

Racing Truth
01-05-05, 04:23 PM
I concede the point that the current Grand Am cars are affordable crap. Given that we are at a cyclical low for motorsports, I guess they're pretty cool :) Highs in the cycle were the early 70s, early 90s and hopefully the around 2011 or so. Hell, maybe I'll watch it this year for the drivers in it, not the cars. I'll just keep a puke bag next to my chair just in case :D

This is a good point. Basically, I see two different models for sportscar/road racing in the US.

1. Major manufacturer involvement, with the likes of Porsche, BMW, Audi, and Toyota battling each other to create the most dynamic machines.

2. Grand-Am. Emphasis is taken off of creating the finest machines and put on teams and drivers.

Now, both models can work, but as Meth points out, #1 is cyclical in nature. There has been little interest shown by mftrs lately, so ALMS is really struggling. Say what you will, but #2 will always be around. It's support may vary but not like #1.

Racing Truth
01-05-05, 04:48 PM
OK everybody, let's play a game of "Name That Poster!" :gomer: :D

In regards to Grand-Am (from 2/26/03):

Will somoene please stick a fork in this series?

Once again, in regards to Grand-Am (from 12/21/04):

You can criticize the cars all you want, Grand Am is doing something right. Back the 80s drivers from all walks of racing competed in the race and it looks like those days are coming back.

So, who made the 2/26/03 remark, and who made the 12/21/04 remark?

pchall
01-05-05, 05:00 PM

The problem is that Grand Am is still a NASCRAP placebo for race dates that used to mean something. Screw them for selling pap to the young and the masses.

Racing Truth
01-05-05, 05:10 PM
The problem is that Grand Am is still a NASCRAP placebo for race dates that used to mean something. Screw them for selling pap to the young and the masses.

Tell that to the 30 DP teams running Daytona. Tell that to Paul Newman, Bourdais, and others.

Fine, then ALMS is selling lame-*** parades that have the same cars year after year.

Racewriter
01-05-05, 05:21 PM

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Get up off the floor, pull up your pants, wipe your nose, and quit your whining. The Rolex would REALLY be meaningless if it were left to the ALMS's four year old collection of 3-5 prototypes.

Heck, I can remember when the Daytona 24 Hours was contested with nothing but GT cars.

NismoZ
01-05-05, 05:39 PM
Double heck...I can remember when the Daytona 24 was only 3 hours long! :gomer: ...and Gurney won by stopping short at the S/F line, checked his watch a few times then cranked his Lotus 19 under the checker using the starter! I fought and died too many times during "the split" and I have no intention of doing the same over this mess. Behind a Team Newman victory I guess a win that included Elliot Forbes-Robinson would please me most. Does that give you a clue as to how long I'VE been following some of these guys!? :)

Racewriter
01-06-05, 11:32 AM
This is a good point. Basically, I see two different models for sportscar/road racing in the US.

1. Major manufacturer involvement, with the likes of Porsche, BMW, Audi, and Toyota battling each other to create the most dynamic machines.

Interestingly enough, three of those four manufacturers will be represented in DP's at the Rolex.

Racing Truth
01-06-05, 01:31 PM

In case someone hadn't figured it out, the 2/26/03 remark was made by DaveL. The 12/21/04 remark was made by.... the very same DaveL.

Like it or not, it has grown. With the exception of NASCAR (to a point), can any other series honestly say this?

RaceGrrl
01-06-05, 02:17 PM
Having been an avid fan of what was, I will not watch what is. I have no interest in watching butt ugly cars- I don't care who's driving them.

Steve99
01-06-05, 04:13 PM
ALMS must be doing something right:

TV exposure excels for ALMS sponsors

The American Le Mans Series proved to be one of the best associations in motorsports in 2004 according to reports from leading sports, special event and entertainment program evaluation company Joyce Julius.

Nearly 600 team, series, event and associate sponsors received mention and recognition via ALMS' comprehensive television package, totaling $98,577,050 million.

Porsche led the way with nearly $9.5 million in documented exposure via ALMS television partners CBS, NBC and Speed as the series continued to position itself as not only delivering a high value for sponsors but also becoming the one of fastest growing race series in America.

While Porsche achieved the pinnacle on the year-end team sponsorship chart, acquiring a total of $9,467,875 in television-valued exposure, a total of 22 companies associated with ALMS achieved more than $1 million of mentions. Rounding out the top five were Audi ($7,815,775), Michelin ($5,140,725), Corvette ($4,275.550) and ADT Security Services ($4,113,650).

The Top 25 team, associate, series and event sponsors in ALMS's nine races garnered $79,385,675 of exposure versus $14,994,350 for Champ Car's 14 events and a mere $7,058,055 for Grand Am's 12 events.

In addition, ALMS' network television ratings were 25% higher than IRL's network ratings (excluding the Indy 500). The Grand Am and Champ Car series have no events on network television. Cable ratings for ALMS were 50% higher than IRL's and Champ Car's cable ratings and 300% higher than Grand Am's telecasts.

I added the bold.

racer2c
01-06-05, 04:22 PM

I added the bold.

A touche is in order.

Sean O'Gorman
01-06-05, 04:22 PM
So what REAL sponsors are there in ALMS? It doesn't count if the company is owned by the driver, too. :rofl:

Racing Truth
01-06-05, 04:29 PM

I added the bold.

Yes, all 5 of them. :shakehead

Redwing
01-06-05, 05:38 PM
If field size was the only key to a successful racing series, the IRL would have kicked CART's butt several years ago, and the Indy 500 would still be a notable race. Many people think, but the true believers know....

Jervis Tetch 1
01-06-05, 05:59 PM
I'm watching.

I was in horror when I found out that there were only 2 tire mfgs allowed. Used to be there'd be 8-10 different tire companies out there.

Now I wonder why that would be. What mfgs are racing? Goodyear? Goodrich? Hoosier?

Seems it would be the more the merrier, but why they would do this is beyond me.

theunions
01-06-05, 06:07 PM
Now I wonder why that would be. What mfgs are racing? Goodyear? Goodrich? Hoosier?

I believe as of the Homestead tire test last month, it's down to Hoosier exclusively.

I maintain Hoosiers don't belong on any cars that turn right, and its tacky "sweatbands" don't belong around the necks of any drivers that turn right.

Racing Truth
01-06-05, 06:20 PM
If field size was the only key to a successful racing series, the IRL would have kicked CART's butt several years ago, and the Indy 500 would still be a notable race. Many people think, but the true believers know....

How do you figure? Even in the "worst" year ('02), CART still had 18 cars. After that, IRL car count, along with Indy car counts, plummeted too.

Apples and oranges folks.

FCYTravis
01-06-05, 06:46 PM
I maintain Hoosiers don't belong on any cars that turn right, and its tacky "sweatbands" don't belong around the necks of any drivers that turn right.
Tell that to the seven SCCA National Champions who were shod in Hoosiers this year :shakehead :rolleyes:

Formula Continental. Formula Vee. Sports 2000. Showroom Stock B. C Sports Racing. Formula Atlantic. Formula 500.

Tell that to the 42 Solo II National Champions who were shod in Hoosiers - that's 42 wins out of 59 classes competed in.

Sean O'Gorman
01-06-05, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I'd kill to have a set of Hoosiers on my MR2 when autocrossing. Fortunately the new Kumhos are competitive with the Hoosiers at a fraction of the price.

Racewriter
01-06-05, 07:18 PM
Tell that to the seven SCCA National Champions who were shod in Hoosiers this year :shakehead :rolleyes:

Formula Continental. Formula Vee. Sports 2000. Showroom Stock B. C Sports Racing. Formula Atlantic. Formula 500.

Tell that to the 42 Solo II National Champions who were shod in Hoosiers - that's 42 wins out of 59 classes competed in.

Yep.

Road racing is a market that Hoosier never really paid attention to until the 90s, but they've done a fine job there.

RacinM3
01-06-05, 07:58 PM
OK, I decided to hold my tongue in this debate, but found the following too much to resist:

No. I also cannot believe I just bookmarked the Grand Am Website

Now that's funny.

Hoosier makes great road racing tires. Most club guys would love to use them but the cost is higher and they don't last as long. They're not for the ham-footed though - they hate being flat-spotted and you can burn through the carcass with two or three big lockups. They're usually worth 1-2 seconds a lap more than any other dot-r tire, although they have a tendency to fall off mid-race before they come back strong. Haven't tried the "new" Kumhos yet, but I do know that the initial replacement for the Victoracer was a POS.

Having been an avid fan of what was, I will not watch what is. I have no interest in watching butt ugly cars- I don't care who's driving them.

I don't understand this. We're talking about one class that's been affected. Are the other classes not interesting enough? Are the prototypes (whether ALMS or Grand Am) the only ones worth paying attention to? Did you see the competition between AJR and Flying Lizards in ALMS this year? The championship went down to the last minutes of the last race. Is it true that multi-class racing really is too difficult for American fans to comprehend? Personally I've always enjoyed more the racing in the GT and other "lower level" classes anyway. The prototype classes usually involve 1 or 2 dominant cars, even if historically the cars have been more interesting. While Porsches may dominate some of the lower classes, at least there are a hell of a lot of them!

Methanolandbrats
01-06-05, 08:37 PM
Yeah, I'd kill to have a set of Hoosiers on my MR2 when autocrossing. Fortunately the new Kumhos are competitive with the Hoosiers at a fraction of the price. They're competitive if you're competing with other Kumho drivers for second place. Hoosiers are faster....and I can't afford them either :cry: I drive a Rabbit GTI, what flavor of Mr. Two do you have?

nrc
01-06-05, 09:10 PM
There are plenty of "Grand Am Sucks/Grand Am Rules" threads here without digging one up that's a year old. It's annoying. If you want to post a "neener neener" do it with a link.