PDA

View Full Version : Bridgestone to offer "option" compound at LBGP

pchall
04-12-04, 03:50 PM
New at Champ Car site (http://www.cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=7627)

Two of the eight sets of Bridgestones given to the teams per car will be a softer compound tire. Rules stipulate that each car must run at least one set during the race. No mention in the article if the option tire may be used in qualifying.

Andrew Longman
04-12-04, 04:21 PM
I was just going to post this.

I had heard nothing about this. I wonder what other surprises are coming.

This seems a little contrived, but certainly not in the "lucky dog" category.

I do like that they are trying to enable more passing on street courses. I like anything that adds strategy as well as speed into the race. I think it is smart to label the tires so the fans can watch the strategy unfold.

Doesn't sound like they are committed to doing this beyond LB, but maybe I didn't read it correctly. That bothers me for the championship. You can't have hugely different rules at different venues and keep changing the rule in mid season.

Audi_A4
04-12-04, 04:22 PM
New at Champ Car site (http://www.cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=7627)

Two of the eight sets of Bridgestones given to the teams per car will be a softer compound tire. Rules stipulate that each car must run at least one set during the race. No mention in the article if the option tire may be used in qualifying.

NICE, gumballs are excellent! Will Bridgestone be painting them HOT PINK so the fans know the driver is using them?

Andrew Longman
04-12-04, 04:25 PM
NICE, gumballs are excellent! Will Bridgestone be painting them HOT PINK so the fans know the driver is using them?

"Best of all for those watching from the grandstands and on television is that Bridgestone/Firestone North American Tire, LLC (BFNT), has developed a new concept for marking the sidewalls of the option tires that will make them immediately visible. That way, everyone will know which drivers are riding on the “softer” Potenzas with the potential increased passing ability."

sundaydriver2
04-12-04, 04:32 PM
If these softer compounds leave a lot of marbles on the track, there won't be much passing.

mapguy
04-12-04, 04:36 PM
Different rubber compounds? Is that like the difference between sheer and ribbed?

Lizzerd
04-12-04, 05:19 PM
Different rubber compounds? Is that like the difference between sheer and ribbed?

Put your pants back on. :saywhat:

JT265
04-12-04, 05:41 PM

French ticklers for the house!

:D

Ankf00
04-12-04, 06:16 PM
w/ lube or is it BYOAstroglide?

Steve99
04-12-04, 06:16 PM
Doesn't sound like they are committed to doing this beyond LB, but maybe I didn't read it correctly. That bothers me for the championship. You can't have hugely different rules at different venues and keep changing the rule in mid season.

I think they just want to see how it goes at Long Beach before they commit to it for other races. If it doesn't work out, no need to continue.

I don't think it affects the championship badly. It is still the same for everyone at a given race.

Just don't touch the point system during the season.

CARTNUT
04-12-04, 06:54 PM
Like I said before:

Vasser+Lola+Softer tires= GO JEEMY!!! :cool: (The New King of the Beach!!!)

'NUT :gomer:

Ankf00
04-12-04, 07:08 PM
i like them having sets available, i dislike them being forced to use them during the race

pchall
04-12-04, 07:46 PM
i like them having sets available, i dislike them being forced to use them during the race

I was a bit disappointed to read that the teams must use a complete set of the softer compound tires. Imagine someone going out with gumballs on the front only and letting it all hang out on a tight street course.

Railbird
04-12-04, 07:54 PM
contrived strategy situation

but what the hell?

When I'm sitting at the track I'll be watching for the gumballs and nudging the fan next to me saying "watch him".

Using one-shot soft rubber and time limited "push to pass" will bring the strategists to the fore.

Hard Driver
04-12-04, 11:49 PM
It sounds interesting. I suspect that the teams will save both sets for the race. So depending on the number of required stops, you might have it more like you must run one stint on the harder compund.

Let's see how it works. :thumbup:

Ziggy
04-12-04, 11:51 PM
Im not against it. However, I think the biggest problems on Street Course's are lack of width and marbles. I hope they develope a tire that can absorb marbles :)

Ziggy

cart7
04-13-04, 05:58 AM
If they have to use a complete set, do they have to use all four tyres at once or could they break them up between a couple stops. Just speculating on how someone is going to get around the rules before the race ever starts. ;)

pchall
04-13-04, 07:42 AM
If they have to use a complete set, do they have to use all four tyres at once or could they break them up between a couple stops. Just speculating on how someone is going to get around the rules before the race ever starts. ;)

According to the article at Cart.com, they need to use all four of a set at the same time. Too bad about that -- I remember when tire mixing and match between gumballs and woodies was a fascinating part of F1.

Ankf00
04-13-04, 08:54 AM
concrete wheels

rubber track surface

that'll solve that damned marbles problem!!!

Insomniac
04-13-04, 12:20 PM
concrete wheels

rubber track surface

that'll solve that damned marbles problem!!!

Until someone locks up their wheels. :eek:

Insomniac
04-13-04, 12:21 PM
Whatever they have to do to get us more passing and less follow the leader. I'm happy as long as the rules apply to everyone.

JoeBob
04-13-04, 03:37 PM
Option Tire:
http://www.cart.com/content/photos/2004/By400/20040412P_0001.jpg

Insomniac
04-13-04, 08:38 PM
Option Tire:
http://www.cart.com/content/photos/2004/By400/20040412P_0001.jpg

So I guess it will appear to have a red ring on the tires? Hope it will be distinguishable. I'd expect a color that stood out from the black. I'll see Sunday. (some of you lucky ones, earlier.