PDA

View Full Version : Zanardi Book

TedN
04-12-04, 12:29 PM
Looking forward to THIS (www.grandprixlegends.com/BookVideoSite/B_NewItems(BookVideo)/BK1494%28GPL%5FBaseCatalog%29/BookVideo.htm) when it becomes available in North America.

Ted

racer2c
04-12-04, 12:34 PM
:cool: :thumbup:

I'm looking forward to that one! Thanks!

JoeBob
04-12-04, 01:36 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk is accepting pre-orders (they list it as being available in September for) £19.99. They will ship to the US.

Of course, if it will be available there, it will probably be available here too. But if not, that would be a way to get it!

TedN
08-09-04, 03:15 PM
There is an ad in the latest issue of RACER for The Motorsport Collector (http://www.motorsportcollector.com/) indicating that the book is "coming in September".

Ted

:thumbup:

Sean O'Gorman
08-09-04, 03:18 PM
I just finished reading a book on Senna (As Time Goes By by Christopher Hilton) and am currently halfway though Gilles Villeneuves biography, so I think I know what my next book will be. :thumbup: :thumbup:

TedN
09-16-04, 07:05 PM
From AtlasF1 site ...

Zanardi Launches Biography at Berlin Clinic
Thursday September 16th, 2004

Italian Alex Zanardi launched his biography on Thursday at the Berlin clinic where he fought for his life after a horrific crash three years ago.

"I want to help others who suffer a similar fate," said Zanardi, who spent 43 days at the clinic after losing both his legs and two litres of blood in a high speed accident in a CART race at the Lausitzring in September, 2001.

"That's why I wrote this book."

Zanardi, 37, wanted to present the book at the Berlin clinic as a gesture of gratitude towards the doctors who treated him.

The former Formula One driver has returned to motor racing and drives a specially adapted BMW in the Touring Car championship. A few days ago he escaped unhurt from a spectacular crash at Imola.

"An accident can happen at every race but I'm still having fun driving sports cars," he said.

Ted

:thumbup: :thumbup:

RTKar
09-16-04, 08:09 PM
I just finished reading a book on Senna (As Time Goes By by Christopher Hilton) and am currently halfway though Gilles Villeneuves biography, so I think I know what my next book will be. :thumbup: :thumbup:

The Hilton book is excellent, just finished, Life in the Fast Lane" by Steve Matchett. It's outstanding, also finished, "Jim Clark and His Most Successful Lotus" by Eoin Young another great book. I've been waiting for the Zanardi book rather impatiently. Having more or less witnessed his career will make it especially interesting. I remember walking right behind him and his wife at Milwaukee in the parking lot outside the paddock his first year here. Barely a soul knew who he was but that didn't last for long. By RA there was a crowd...

JoeBob
09-16-04, 08:25 PM
This looks to be the US Version of the book, available in October: http://www.bentleypublishers.com/product.htm?code=GDAZ

(Note that the version available from amazon.co.uk is hardcover, while this version is softcover. Their price is lower now, but with shipping to the U.S. it would still be about $40.00)

TedN
09-28-04, 08:52 AM
Last night on The Truth, Robin Miller said that Zanardi will be in the U.S.in the next month or so. He is attending a skiing exhibition in Colorado and then on to New York for visits with Letterman, Today Show, Regis & Kelly and several book signings.

Ted

TedN
10-25-04, 07:25 PM
Article On CNN Site (http://tinyurl.com/66gk2)

Ted

TedN
11-01-04, 09:30 AM
Book Review Here (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?id=1913460)

Ted

TedN
11-02-04, 09:56 AM
Here is a BBC interview with Zanardi. Select the "Monday" edition of the show and cue about 10 minutes in. A good listen.

Link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/programmes/outlook_peo.shtml)

Ted

TravelGal
11-03-04, 02:25 AM
Just got my copy of the book today from Bentley Publishers, the US publisher. Can't wait to start reading it. :happydance:

edit: Wow, what an interview. Thanks SO much for the link. It's absolutely wonderful to hear Alex's voice. Definitely candid. Very moving. Thanks again.

theunions
11-03-04, 03:20 AM
Just ordered the softcover version from Amazon. Am I correct in saying there is no such thing as a hardcover US version?

TravelGal
11-03-04, 10:53 PM
Just ordered the softcover version from Amazon. Am I correct in saying there is no such thing as a hardcover US version?

I believe so. Probably because Bentley Publishing does mostly car manuals so they are soft cover. (?) When I looked, I could not find a source for a hard cover here in the US.

Fenster
11-03-04, 11:27 PM
SpeedGear is selling signed copies. I believe they are hardcover, if I am not mistaken. I could be wrong though. (with shipping they are about $70)

Fenster
11-03-04, 11:32 PM
Just checked over at SpeedGear. They have a hardcover titled 'My Story' and a softcover titled 'My Sweetest Victory'. They have different covers obviously. Are these, in fact, different books altogether? or was the European hardcover titled differently than the version marketed here in the States? :saywhat:

theunions
11-03-04, 11:51 PM
Just checked over at SpeedGear. They have a hardcover titled 'My Story' and a softcover titled 'My Sweetest Victory'. They have different covers obviously. Are these, in fact, different books altogether? or was the European hardcover titled differently than the version marketed here in the States? :saywhat:

The hardcover is the original European edition. The softcover published by Bentley was retitled for the US market, has a new (at least I believe this part is new) foreword by Mario and also a new postscript by Alex regarding his '04 racing season.

Fenster
11-04-04, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the info.

JoeBob
11-04-04, 11:48 AM
You might be able to save some money ordering from amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0837612497

Mine shipped yesterday.

Now I just have to learn to read...

JoeBob
11-06-04, 01:40 PM
My copy came today. Interesting note: The same graphic picture of the moment of impact that Sports Illustrated printed (with significant criticism from some) is included in the book.

TravelGal
11-07-04, 02:25 AM
All I have had time to read is the foreward, the afterword, and the author's note. Those, I believe are the parts that were added for the American version, although that's not the reason I read them.

I notice also that in the index you see a couple of references to Castroneves or Dallenbach, quite few to Andretti or Kanan, but 36 to Vasser. They are, as Alex said, "like brothers." :)

theunions
11-16-04, 09:07 PM
My copy came today. Interesting note: The same graphic picture of the moment of impact that Sports Illustrated printed (with significant criticism from some) is included in the book.

As my own copy just came today...it's actually a slightly different angle/later in the sequence (the left side of Tag's car is square with the lens, and the nose of Alex's is not pointing straight down with its top square with the lens). The SI version is more graphic.

TedN
11-17-04, 01:47 PM
I received this e-mail yesterday from the publisher of Zanardi's book. Alex will be on Letterman in early December.

Ted

Dear Fellow Racing Fan,

The North American edition of two-time CART champion Alex Zanardi's autobiography is now available at bookstores and online at www.BentleyPublishers.com. To promote this edition of his book, Alex Zanardi will be embarking on a brief book tour of the United States in November and December 2004.

Alex Zanardi will be autographing copies of Alex Zanardi - My Sweetest Victory at the Exoticar Model Gallery in New York City on Monday, November 29 from 2pm to 3 pm in what is his only scheduled public appearance in North America this year. The Exoticar Model Gallery is located at 280 Park Avenue & 48th St. For more information on Exoticar, visit their website at www.Exoticar.com or call the store at 212-573-9537.

Alex Zanardi's US trip will include an appearance in Beaver Creek, CO on December 1st where he will make a demonstrative ski run during the Alpine Ski World Championship event. Alex Zanardi is also scheduled to appear on CBS's Late Show with David Letterman on Friday, December 3rd. Check local listings for times.

Alex Zanardi - My Sweetest Victory is garnering rave reviews and is on track to be the hottest motorsports title of the holiday season.

TravelGal
11-27-04, 09:49 PM
Thanks for keeping us up to date on this. I'm reading the book S L O W L Y. I don't want it end. Not because of the accident. Because it's like sitting in room listening to Alex talk. Funny, ironic, silly, serious, hilarious, touching, and sometimes even a little rambling. I just love it.