PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Rogue Leader!

rabbit
04-11-04, 10:54 PM
What a small world!

I've recently taken an interest in collecting historic military weapons. While recently perusing a message board for collectors I came across this thread (http://www.hk94.com/hk/index.php?showtopic=4474&st=0&) and saw a poster (Rogue Leader) with a Patrick Carpentier avatar. I told him about OffCamber and he is now listed as the newest member. RL is running Formula Dodge this year and has a test with a Formula Renault team later in the year.

Everybody give him a big OC welcome! :thumbup:

Kiwifan
04-11-04, 11:40 PM
All the more the merrier! Welcome from Downunder. :)

Rusty.

Warlock!
04-12-04, 09:48 AM
Good to have ya, RL, and good luck in the FDs this year... and let us know how things are goin' at the track!

:thumbup:

Warlock!

devilmaster
04-12-04, 10:09 AM
Rogue Leader isn't the 'Mall Ninja', is he? ;) :D

Always good to have more racers here.... Just don't invite RaceGrrl, XPF and myself to your races. We're apparently bad luck.....

Speaking of which.....

Nappy, get your butt back here dude!

Steve

Jag_Warrior
04-12-04, 10:32 AM
Another Molon Labe guy, I hope. Great to have him here - and a racer too! :thumbup: The SKS is a fine shooter. Until I got a long barrel AK, I shot my Norinco SKS quite a bit. And I'd also stay away from the the detachable mag conversion. Reason 1: I did one years ago, and even with help from a gunsmith, it never worked properly. I sold it to a guy who was wowed by the appearance - I'm sure he still hates me. :laugh: Before I'd put the effort into that, just buy an AK for about $300 (you can get a Bulgarian with a milled receiver, instead of the Chinese Norinco with a stamped receiver, for around $300). Reason 2: There could be legal problems - especially if you ever sell it and it originated in your name (mine was pre-ban). But with the price of 7.62x39 still so cheap, these are great weekend shooters.

Here's a company I've been dealing with for years: FAC of America. Is it OK to list their # here? I don't think they have a web site. 763-780-8780 - if it's not cool to list a #, I'll edit it out.

Check it out Rabbit, Rogue Leader and anybody else. They carry shooters, non-firing replicas, swords, daggers, etc. If you want a shooter, you'll (of course) have to either have an FFL or use a dealer to order for you.

Happy shooting (or collecting)!

rabbit
04-12-04, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the info Jag. I caught the bug after I bought a 1944 Russian Mosin-Nagant M44. What a great gun to shoot! I've always been something of a history buff and got to reading more about that particular rifle. Since then I've started branching out trying to learn more about some of these historic rifles. An SKS will be one of my next purchases. :thumbup:

Jag_Warrior
04-12-04, 11:41 AM
Rabbit,

I drifted from the (relatively) modern military firearms to the Civil War and Western guns several years back. I'm hardly an expert and I can't afford $10K+ for a real Colt Walker (most of mine are Italian replica shooters - but Colt has a new "old" series out now), but these guns are SO full of history (good, bad & ugly ;) ). I really need to visit the NRA museum. I talked to a fellow about Cowboy shooting, but those guys are a little too serious for what time I have. And for Civil War re-enactments, I'd have to drive up to racer2c's neck of the woods - not enough time for that either. Maybe when I retire... like I'll live long enough to retire. :shakehead

A friend of mine has a Mosin (not sure which model it is) - he also likes it very much. Excellent shooter! If you want to have a nice pair, match up your Mosin-Nagant with a Mauser K98. The only problem with the Mausers is once they were captured, the N@zi markings were usually defaced or ground off completely. I have a P38 with ALL the markings... I'd love to have a correct Mauser to go with it. Without the markings, you can still get a very nice one for less that $200. I found one in "Very Good" condition with SS markings, but it was over $600. :(

Maybe you already have it, but if you don't, you should order "History of the Gun"... a video series done by the History Channel. Great stuff! :thumbup:

rabbit
04-12-04, 04:46 PM
Jag,

My bro-in-law has a Mauser. He brought it over one day and we shot for awhile. He couldn't believe how much more punch the Mosin had over the Mauser. There can't be a single Soviet WWII vet with any hearing left! In broad daylight you could see a two-three foot muzzle flash. Still, I want to add one to my collection some day. I'd like to collect a full set of Mosin-Nagants, including a 91/30 sniper like the one in the movie Enemy at the Gates. I found one online for almost $900... wholesale! I'm thinking about getting a C&R FFL, but I'm not sure. You have to keep detailed records of all your purchases for 20 years. But it does make building a collection of historics much easier and cheaper.

I've seen several of the episodes of that History Channel series. That was one of the things that got me started on it. But at $25 a tape (and no DVD available) I don't think I'll be ordering anytime soon.

Jag_Warrior
04-12-04, 05:30 PM
If you want a real M91/30, I'd buy it in person and take along an expert that can verify the authenticity. A guy tried to burn me on some SS daggers and a P-08 several years ago - didn't work, and I heard he ran into a spell of "bad luck" shortly thereafter. :D But I'm looking at the catalog now and FAC has a "built" (off a VG/excellent M91/30 base rifle) M91/30 in the catalog for $424, including the 2.5X scope. To look at it, I don't think you can really distinguish it from a "real" one.

I saw "Enemy at the Gates" after Stormglider (from 7G) mentioned it - good movie. Too bad he was so anti-CART. We seemed to have most everything else in common.

Check out the FAC catalog. It's free and I think you'll REALLY enjoy window shopping or maybe buying from them.