PDA

View Full Version : Space Shuttle Columbia

Turn7
02-01-03, 10:41 AM
Communication has been lost during re entry and looks to have broken up.

Napoleon
02-01-03, 10:45 AM
I guess NASA is warning people in Texas to watch for debrie.

cart7
02-01-03, 10:48 AM
Sad. This is my second shuttle explosion to watch on TV.:(

Turn7
02-01-03, 10:49 AM
Yes...there were several "virus" experiments on board. They are saying that it could be very dangerous for you to come in contact with any debris.

trubritz
02-01-03, 11:09 AM
Thoughts and prayers with the families at this time.

A tragedy

mnkywrch
02-01-03, 11:11 AM
:( :( :(

rabbit
02-01-03, 11:20 AM
They launch and land these things so many times without problem, it's easy to forget how brave these men and women are.:(

Napoleon
02-01-03, 11:24 AM
:(

I remember learning of the 1986 explosion in the elevator of the University where I was going to graduate school from some professors, and I likly will remember learning of this in front of my computer screen at work while trying to find some old documents on our system (which was what I was doing on 9/11).

JLMannin
02-01-03, 11:32 AM
My prayers are with the families of the astronauts and the ground crew. This is very tragic.

Napoleon
02-01-03, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by rabbit
They launch and land these things so many times without problem, it's easy to forget how brave these men and women are.:(

and that the Shuttle really is a flying bomb with so many things that can go wrong. I mentioned about being in graduate school the last time around. About a week before that one some of us were discussing space travel and I keep on raising the point that the vehicles were very dangerous and we were bound to loose one (I have an almost religous belief in Murphy's Law, which in large part is why I have always been opposed to nuclear power).

It made me sick later that I had been proven right on that so quick.

GOFAST1
02-01-03, 11:34 AM
Terrible.

RaceGrrl
02-01-03, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Napoleon

I remember learning of the 1986 explosion in the elevator of the University where I was going to graduate school from some professors, and I likly will remember learning of this in front of my computer screen at work while trying to find some old documents on our system (which was what I was doing on 9/11).

I remember seeing the Challenger explosion as it happened, not on television. We lived in Florida at the time, and I used to take breaks to watch the shuttle launches. I was standing in the parking lot with a friend and saw the fireball and trailing smoke. It was horrendous then, and I feel the same way today as I did 17 years ago. I can't even turn on the television. Godspeed to those brave men and women.

slashman
02-01-03, 12:11 PM
I watched the first one live on TV. It makes me sick to my stomach that these family's have lost there loved one's once again to a terrible tragedy.

IlliniRacer
02-01-03, 12:32 PM
From the mouth of babes:

This morning I was at the office doing my normal Saturday duties with my 6 year old son. When the TV announced what happend, my son told me "They will be alright because I prayed for them."

Lets all say a prayer for the families

RaceChic
02-01-03, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by IlliniRacer
From the mouth of babes:

This morning I was at the office doing my normal Saturday duties with my 6 year old son. When the TV announced what happend, my son told me "They will be alright because I prayed for them."

Lets all say a prayer for the families

God Bless your son and the innocence of children. May the families find strength through prayer at a time like this.
As a Canadian, I extend my deepest sympathies and prayers.:(

Hurling Frootmig
02-01-03, 02:18 PM
The brave men and women of the shuttle crew knew there were risks involved and signed on to serve a greater glory. The advancement of mankind and science.

They and their families will be in our prayers and thoughts.

oddlycalm
02-03-03, 05:44 AM
Unfortunately, high performance machinery on the ground, in the air or in space is going to take it's toll every so often. Even if we know it can happen, when it does, the loss of the folks never gets any easier. My thoughts are with their families, as they are the ones that have to endure the pain of the loss.

turn1
02-03-03, 11:10 AM
This is tragic but an inherent risk of the space program. I feel deeply for the friends and families but, like racing, this is part of the profession.

Godspeed.