PDA

View Full Version : Well This Kinda Sucks!

Jag_Warrior
04-09-04, 10:40 AM
I figure I have a couple of weeks to catch up on personal biz and do a couple of things for myself. So I thought I'd look into some quick car mods. Since the WRX has too many gadgets and gizmos (a Weber carb is more than high-tech if I'm the one picking parts) for me to know what to change to effectively pick up some gains, I went to a forum. One of the first things I found while searching was this:

Originally posted by WfknRX
Just to let you guys know that Subaru of America has upgraded
there warnanty policys.They just gave each and every dealer ship a list of aftermarket parts to look out for with PICTURES i just recived the list of parts today. I and every one that works for a subaru dealer was informed that if we encounter any of these performance upgrades we are required to inform a supervisor about it so warranty can be VOIDED. Here are some of the performance parts that they have on the list:

Any type of Boost Controller (manual or electronic)
-Blitz
-Apex
-mrt
-etc.......
Any type of Turbo timer
-greddy
-Apex
-etc........
Any type of Air/Fuel meters
-autometer
-etc......
Any type of ECU
-Piggyback with stock ECU
-Prodive Fastroad ECU
-Turbo XS ECU
-any type Uniship ECU
etc...........
Any type of aftermarket Intake system
-AEM
-MRT
-etc.....
Any type of Blow-off valve.
-blitz
-turboXS
-GFB
-etc........

Any type of Exhaust System
-any type of cat-back systems
-any type of up and downpipes
-headers
-etc.........
Any type Aftermarket Turbos
-ball bearing
-VF 22,30,34
-etc......
Any type Aftermarket Intercoolers
-FMIC or TMIC
-silcone IC hose kits
Some Miscellaneous things
-Waterspray kit
-underdrive pulleys
They even have pictures of abused transmissions, first and second gears.

I'm looking for a 10-15% horsepower gain. I had planned on at least doing a cat-back system (that's not obnoxiously loud) and a cold air intake. Now I'm thinking that anything more than a license plate holder will cause the local dweebs to hack my warranty. WTF?! My luck with cars says that sooner or later I'll have a problem. Maybe the STi would have been a better choice... but I'd have to change SOMETHING on it too. :shakehead

Anybody have some words of wisdom?

Brickman
04-09-04, 10:55 AM
Put it on, enjoy, if something breaks take it off. then take it in.

I had a K&N filter that dropped oil on a sensor, so warrenty wouldn't cover it. Dealer replaced it with regular filter, next time the K&N goes off before it goes to the dealer.

Ankf00
04-09-04, 10:58 AM
if you replaced something, would you be able to easily replace the new part with the stock one before you took it into the dealer without them knowing?

that's what i'd plan on :D

rosawendel
04-09-04, 11:54 AM
do the chip. i've heard they are easy to install and remove.

nissan gtp
04-09-04, 05:32 PM
I really like my WRX, but SOA policies do tend to suck, and the dealer I go to is just terrible (Southern Subaru in Waldorf MD-- avoid them) ... I have 6 months left on my warranty and I'm going to switch to Richmond (they have a highly-rated dealer). gotta get my clutch shutter fixed

As to performance upgrades, I ended up not doing any.... basically a warranty thing for me too ... I took out the 3rd brake lite and put in an ociari cover plate (wing has lite so I'm legal), put on white side-lites in the front, STI mesh foglamp covers, and a cherry-blossom (pink, he) "I" logo.

I saw the same post, don't know if it's legit. If you have a good dealer, ask them. Good luck, there are lots of goodies if you don't mind taking a chance with SOA ... or on blowing up the engine of course ;)

chop456
04-09-04, 08:29 PM
If you don't mind paying a repair bill, THEN taking them to court over it, it's my understanding that the burden of proof is on the dealer to prove that the aftermarket part in question caused the failure. If your crankshaft snaps in half, they can't blame it on your cat-back exhaust.

Most ECU tweaks can be done so that they're undetectable. Not that I'd ever do something to my ECU, mind you. ;)

Sean O'Gorman
04-09-04, 08:50 PM
That seems like a hoax to me. 1) its a great way to chase off their core enthusiast group, and 2) a turbo timer has no performance effects...if anything, it helps the car in the reliability department.

I'd check with my Subaru dealership first though, just to be safe.

jcollins28
04-09-04, 09:19 PM
That seems like a hoax to me. 1) its a great way to chase off their core enthusiast group, and 2) a turbo timer has no performance effects...if anything, it helps the car in the reliability department.

I'd check with my Subaru dealership first though, just to be safe.

Exactly a my friends at SEMA and their lawyers would have a field day with SOA in trying to void someones warranty because of a turbo timer. Again the only way they can refuse work and void a warranty is if they can show proof that modification did indeed cause the failure of what broke.

pinniped
04-09-04, 09:33 PM
job security :gomer:

Jag_Warrior
04-09-04, 10:09 PM
Now that Pinniped has agreed to take my case in the event that SOA tries to hose me, I'm going for it! Thanks man! :thumbup:

I want a turbo-back system, but I understand those are death on the warranty. So I will go for a cat back. The cold-air system apparently makes these cars run lean. But I'm sure there's a fix for that... I hope there's a fix for that. That combo should give me 10%+ more horsies.

I called the local dealer (not where I bought the car) today after I wrote this. The shop foreman said that ANYTHING that wasn't a stock part on the engine, or the cat-forward exhaust/turbo, COULD void the warranty if I have an engine failure. So if I blow it up, the first stop is to the shop that installs the goodies. And the first call is to Pinniped to plan our legal strategy. :D

The car is fun, but the stock tires suck and it's not all that quick off the line. I'm hoping that opening up the lungs will make it more reactive.

Thanks guys!!!

Ziggy
04-09-04, 10:29 PM
Jag Warrior

Listen, this Subaru deal made the comic rounds a few years ago with my buddies. Some kid had put a different wastegate on his ride, and melted the engine. He put the old parts back on, towed the car to the dealership.

Everything was cool........ until he started bragging about it on a message board.

He got busted, by the cops.

Word to the wise.... do whatever you like, but keep it to yourself

Ziggy

Jag_Warrior
04-09-04, 10:42 PM
:confused: Who stole my password and posted that rubbish? I never drive over 55... what would I need with a 250hp road car?! :D

Thanks Ziggy. I appreciate the advice. If I happen to toast the engine post mods, we'll keep it on the Q.T. But with my new FREE lawyer, I've got it covered. Right, Pinniped? Hmm, wonder why he's not returning my calls???

manic mechanic
04-09-04, 10:51 PM
:confused:
with my new FREE lawyer, I've got it covered. Right, Pinniped? Hmm, wonder why he's not returning my calls???

FYI, he works on "contingency" with matters outside his norm... :D

'ya gots ta remembuh, he's a "bidnessman".. :thumbup:

pinniped
04-10-04, 01:09 AM
Ahem...for me to represent your sorry ass I would first have to agree to do so. However, that hasn't happened. You, Jap Warrior, should seriously consider watching some late night telebision for possible alternatives... :rofl: :eek:

JT265
04-10-04, 08:56 AM
Man I can hear it now....

"If the plenum don't fit, you must acquit."

:rofl:

JLMannin
04-10-04, 09:02 AM
Does putting one of those rear wings on the car void the warranty? :gomer:

Jag_Warrior
04-10-04, 10:47 AM
I figured that pro bono offer wouldn't last long. So my backup firm is Dewey, Cheatem & Howe. When I met them, they were all wearing running shoes. Wonder what that was about? ;) :laugh:

Ankf00
04-10-04, 11:54 AM
shiiit, now i remember!

this one guy at school put all these mods on his WRX, took his WRX drifting and blew up the engine, took off all the mods, took it in, had it replaced...

then the dumbass did the SAME thing, mods on, car ragged out, engine blown up, and mods off, the dealer was very skeptical the next time but he ended up getting it replaced in the end...

stupid and lucky mfr.

Ziggy
04-10-04, 08:43 PM
My buddie (well actually our own SteveH) kept track of this thread. It was on some WRX message board deal. It was very educational about waste gate pressure and electronic controls for them. They explained to this guy about fuel charge and valve timing and everything.

For the life of Me, I dont know how he found it. It was very good reading, and this particular message board had some real knowledge of the car.

I need to do the same thing for my Mini, but have not had the time or the desire to spend anymore money on the car. As of this time, my Plymouth is getting all the money thrown at it. I see no sense in adding ten thousand dollars worth of parts to a brand new car. It does what I ask of it, and Im not racing SCCA or anything.

Now, if they would come up with a good regional class I would consider buying a stripped down version and spending the money then..... but then the time thing comes into play. Money and time, big problem.

Ziggy

Jag_Warrior
04-18-04, 05:45 PM
In a way, I sorta wish that I'd just bought the STi now. :(

But with the right turbo-back exhaust, I can get the 20+ HP I'm looking for... SAFELY! And anyway, I don't need to lose my license or go to a court mandated driving school (again! :o ), so a little more horsepower and less body lean... I'm a relatively happy camper. Through a WRX forum, I found a shop in Carolina that can do "stealth" installations, plus my dealer says they'd be cool with exhaust upgrades... "but don't screw around with the turbo boost or electronics - and DO NOT install one of those air intake systems; they make the engine run lean!"

If I feel the need to get stoopid through curves, the RX7 comes home next month. :)

Oh BTW, turbos rock! FTG!!!