PDA

View Full Version : I was hoping this wouldn't happen. 35 entries for Indy

Hard Driver
04-08-04, 04:16 PM
http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=26726&s=18

I guess Tony can now claim that his "just a number" comment was never made.

Joe in LA
04-08-04, 04:34 PM
http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=26726&s=18

I guess Tony can now claim that his "just a number" comment was never made.

Not so fast--look how many of those are being driven by TBA, and a few are qeustionable in any case. Penske #66 may never run, and Hemelgarn, PDM and a couple others look like place holders in the hope they can put a program together.

SteveH
04-08-04, 05:12 PM
TBA = Tony's Bank Account

Brickman
04-08-04, 05:39 PM
TBA = Tony's Bank Account

Between him and the engine manufacturers they do their best.

Racewriter
04-08-04, 05:58 PM
Not so fast--look how many of those are being driven by TBA, and a few are qeustionable in any case. Penske #66 may never run, and Hemelgarn, PDM and a couple others look like place holders in the hope they can put a program together.

Yep. I'll believe 33 when the 33rd car/driver combo takes the track for practice.

Ziggy
04-08-04, 06:16 PM
Its really a shame that Newman/Haas held out this long, to come and bail the IRL out this year. They were gonna be way short of a full field if a couple of teams had not bolted for the Yen. It was still awful close, but Haas and Patrick has them about over the top.

Might as well get qualifying down to two days. There is no drama. Bet your bottom dollar that if AJ Jr Jr is on the bubble once again, another directive will come down from upon high.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to old whathisname Airton Dare????

Ziggy

Joe in LA
04-08-04, 06:17 PM
FWIW, I have not doubt 33 will qualify,and that some of these TBA's will run at the last minute to make sure that happens. I really doubt we will see meaningful bumping.

TippyGomez
04-08-04, 06:32 PM
Ah meaningful bumping

I miss the snake pit as well!

tg

RichK
04-08-04, 06:36 PM
Ah meaningful bumping

I miss the snake pit as well!

tg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

RobGuru
04-08-04, 09:17 PM

With 12 of the drivers on the entry list being Wankers, another 7 being Uber-Wankers, and the other 6 who merely suck, who is left to fill out the field...
Uber-Wanker Wannabes?

Spicoli
04-08-04, 09:20 PM
I hope it rains alot.

i hope the Pacers make the run on the playoffs.

Ratattack
04-08-04, 10:37 PM

Check it out. Sammichman, AJ has cars entered with no drivers. Other owners thanks to FTG also have rides and no drivers. $$$ from FTG will bring the car count up because we have won the battle in LB..bring it on we will prevail... :D

DaveL
04-08-04, 10:57 PM
AJ has cars entered with no drivers.

Not that they'll be any less effective than his current driver mind you.

chop456
04-09-04, 01:14 AM
Could we see a sub-200mph qualifier this year?

Cam
04-09-04, 01:31 AM
I hope it rains alot.

i hope the Pacers make the run on the playoffs.

Second that! :thumbup:

Spicoli
04-09-04, 09:08 AM
The Pacers are TG's worst enemy right now. A few years back when the old team was still together - this town went nuts when they made their run to the playoffs.

This new team, while not as well known amongst the citizens, is even better.

You may think this is a race town, but its more a hoops town than anything.

Hehehehe....Give it up TG, you just can;t win - nobody likes you.

JLMannin
04-09-04, 12:26 PM
Could we see a sub-200mph qualifier this year?

I really don't think so, but we may see a "promoter's choice" for one or two teams that cannot put a car on the track without crashing or blowing up before completing four timed laps to get the car count up to 33.

Either that or an equivalence formula will be put in place to allow the Buicks/Menards to run.

Madmaxfan2
04-09-04, 12:29 PM
I will make a bold prediction, one of those TBA's will be Danica Patricia. After all, as it has been mentioned, they still need 33 drivers.

Racewriter
04-09-04, 01:45 PM
At this point, eight of those "TBA's" will have to become announced to get a full field. I'd have to research, but IIRC, last year they had 27 or 28 drivers on the entry list. "Becoming Announced" equals "Becoming funded."

Will it happen? Maybe.

Racing Truth
04-09-04, 01:51 PM
I will make a bold prediction, one of those TBA's will be Danica Patricia. After all, as it has been mentioned, they still need 33 drivers.

In 2005 maybe, but not this year.

Prediction: 33 no problem, but no meaningful bumping, if any.

Ziggy
04-09-04, 03:18 PM
How many Japanese (read funded) have cut their teeth at Salem???

Me thinks many Kursho Mazercki's will crawl out of the woodwork :gomer:

Go get 'em Tony

Ziggy

dando
04-09-04, 05:46 PM
So what? Who cares? I don't.

-Kevin

pchall
04-09-04, 07:45 PM
The Pacers are TG's worst enemy right now. A few years back when the old team was still together - this town went nuts when they made their run to the playoffs.

This new team, while not as well known amongst the citizens, is even better.

You may think this is a race town, but its more a hoops town than anything.

Hehehehe....Give it up TG, you just can;t win - nobody likes you.

Hey, all you Pacers fans! When you go to a playoff game make sure you continue with making [i]turbocharged champcar/i] sounds as Pacers move the ball up the court. And add crapwagon beefarter noises for the opponent!

extramundane
04-09-04, 08:47 PM
In 2005 maybe, but not this year.

Prediction: 33 no problem, but no meaningful bumping, if any.

If Braccident doesn't make it back by then, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Rahole stick DP in an Argent crapsled.

Railbird
04-09-04, 11:05 PM
If Braccident doesn't make it back by then, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Rahole stick DP in an Argent crapsled.

If I'm translating the name calling bs correctly you're thinking Danica may be inline for the Rahal Indy deal if Brack isn't ready.

I doubt it just based on the fact that he hasn't tested her. If Brack isn't ready I would look for either Papis or some Honda funded dude like Yasakawa.

They'll get 33 one way or the other, fact is, Judge Otte's decision was the best thing that could have happened for some of the "little guys" that TG was so concerned with early on. Had the judge allowed the kill shot the IRL would have picked up enough cars to relieve the need to finance enough bottom feeders to fill the field.

FRANKY
04-09-04, 11:10 PM
DP won't even test an Indy car during the 2004 season.

Corner5
04-12-04, 12:35 PM
I really don't think so, but we may see a "promoter's choice" for one or two teams that cannot put a car on the track without crashing or blowing up before completing four timed laps to get the car count up to 33.

Either that or an equivalence formula will be put in place to allow the Buicks/Menards to run.

This is what I think too.

Madmaxfan2
04-12-04, 03:58 PM
Those old Menards/Buick/Lolas are musuem pieces that are about 10 years old by now. Brayton's pole winner in 1996 was at least a year old then. I highly doubt this scenerio.

skidmarks
04-13-04, 08:57 AM
Why would it matter if Danica has tested a crapwagon or not? It's not like it takes a lot of racecraft to steer one of those underpowered sleds for four lefts.

If DNF can get it around for four laps, I'm sure Danica, or my little sister, could do the same.

Madmaxfan2
04-13-04, 10:06 AM
MY point exactly. The IRL has a freak marketing mentality going, especially now that despairation is begining to set in. Dp fits in perfectly. "Come and see the Greatest Specticle in Racing, complete with who is the best female racer in the World, Sarah or Danicia" Freddy Nation would have a field day with this one.

pchall
04-13-04, 11:06 AM
Those old Menards/Buick/Lolas are musuem pieces that are about 10 years old by now. Brayton's pole winner in 1996 was at least a year old then. I highly doubt this scenerio.

We're being facetious about IMS paid for field fillers and favored status Indy only programs.

JLMannin
04-13-04, 01:05 PM
We're being facetious about IMS paid for field fillers and favored status Indy only programs.

You are correct. But Dan Drinan did drag a '91 or '92 Buick pig to try to hold it together for four laps. He failed.

IIRC, Guerrero's '92 pole winning sled made the race in '96. Pathetic.

Madmaxfan2
04-13-04, 04:13 PM
So in the spirit of the stock block Buick entries, will year old crapwagons be brought out on bump day? I vote for TG's wallet to be the only real action on the "Formerly Known As Bump Day" time trials