PDA

View Full Version : Montoya doesn't regret his decision to go to McLaren

Insomniac
04-08-04, 08:14 AM
"It doesn't worry me that they're bogged down. And if I go to McLaren and in the first year it is a disaster, it doesn't matter to me," Montoya told reporters on Tuesday.

"I feel that McLaren's potential for the future is very good and I made the decision (to join) for that reason."

"Right now, they have had lots of bad luck with the car, more than anything the motor... They've done lots of things that are very good for the future but right now it's very difficult."

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?id=1777606

Just rhetoric, or is he really not too worried?

RTKar
04-08-04, 08:23 AM
Considering he's not in the damn thing yet....like the Cubs, wait til next year.

cartcanuck
04-08-04, 09:23 AM
I'm sure he's a little concerned, but as long as the car is blowing up on Kimi this year, I'm sure he's quite happy about it. All they need to do is make sure it doesn't happen next year. Right now it's working in his favour because he doesn't have to deal with Kimi in front of him on the track.

Dirty Sanchez
04-08-04, 09:38 AM
What else is he gonna say? :rolleyes:

Hey Juan... no driver has ever left Williams and gone on to win a World Championship. Have fun ;)

skidmarks
04-08-04, 09:40 AM
The last time he was in a williams it wasn't running too good either.

It wa no fireball like kimi's, but the points were the same.

pinniped
04-08-04, 10:48 AM
McLaren have their ups and downs and will get back up again unless they pull a Lotus and get so uncompetitive for so long that no one will sponsor them anymore...that doesn't seem likely...

JT265
04-08-04, 11:22 AM
As long as Ronnies checks cash, alls well.

Or maybe not. ;)

Ziggy
04-08-04, 11:29 AM
I would rather have Juan stay at Williams. Everyone's best bet to become regular winners in F1 is to have Schumacher retire........

PS - DaMatta may be out at Toyota, and sooner than this season

Ziggy

Dirty Sanchez
04-08-04, 11:44 AM
PS - DaMatta may be out at Toyota, and sooner than this seasonDuring the Bahrain broadcast, Brundle apparently said that he'd heard that Zonta might be replacing da Matta before the season was out without checking with anyone. (why is this acceptable journalism in England, btw?) He suspected that it was a bogus rumor however.

The next day, after checking with Toyota (their reaction, btw: a burst of laughter) he confirmed that it was bs.

Who knows the real story... certainly the seeds of doubt and suspicion have been planted in many people's minds though. I guess it must be really difficult to fill up a 1 or 2 hour broadcast or too hard to get a response from those involved before passing on something like this to the public... :shakehead

Ziggy
04-08-04, 12:09 PM
Well, I doubt very much if Zonta is gonna haul a car up a grid any better than Chris does.

That being said, Mike's brother seems to be mentioned quite a bit. Then there's always "The Chin" to bring the British Press on board.

Ziggy

Dirty Sanchez
04-08-04, 12:17 PM
Don't wanna come off too harsh... cause I like rumors. They're always good for discussion even when the racing may not be. And lot of them turn out to be true. But it seems like a lot of what I read and hear isn't verified at all when it easily could be. Just lazy reporting is all... :thumdown:

Websites like planet-f1, f1racing.net are the worst of the worst, btw.

Ziggy
04-08-04, 12:38 PM
Well, I never said take it to gospel there crapus. This from a telephone conversation with a friend of mine who went to the Malaysian GP on Toyota's dime

You hear anything else, let us know. I could personal message everyone, but that would take alot of time

Ziggy

Dirty Sanchez
04-08-04, 12:47 PM
lol... dude! No beef with you posting this whatsoever. Just trying provide a little background and I guess I got off on a tangent about what is "reported" and how rumors spread.

:cheers: :thumbup:

JT265
04-08-04, 01:09 PM
Zig, why is Toyo so in love with Panis? Is it racecraft, or does he have discriminating photos of Ove Anderrsen?

The reason I ask is that for all his F1 experience I don't see him setting the world on fire vis a vis Chris.

<If nothing else I have disrupted Crapus' lunch, having to dig up all the race by race stats and all.>

j/k dood :D

GrandView
04-08-04, 02:29 PM
Zig, why is Toyo so in love with Panis? Is it racecraft, or does he have discriminating photos of Ove Anderrsen?

The reason I ask is that for all his F1 experience I don't see him setting the world on fire vis a vis Chris.

Panis gained a reputation as a good tester and car developer in his brief stint as McLaren test driver in 2000. He was retained by Toyota when they dumped Salo and McNish......likely for that development expertise.

In the coming era with Gascoyne on board that may pay dividends. Toyota isn't particularly making big committments to any driver at this point. Panis is on a one year contract.

GV

lone_groover
04-08-04, 02:59 PM
Monty just wants a place he can call his own.......

:)

Dr. Corkski
04-08-04, 03:56 PM
Puffy might be better off having his car break on him so that he at least has an excuse when Kimi lays the smackdown on him next year.

tomahawk
04-08-04, 05:39 PM
I never did get Zorro's impulsive move to McLaren...and it certainly doesn't look good now...maybe he has a performance out - "if the car sucks, I can stay at Williams" or something like that.

Re: the CDM rumor...I can only say that (1) nobody could look good in the Toyota this year (except Katie Price et al), and (2) Zonta? you've got to be kidding...

:tomahawk

Ziggy
04-08-04, 06:17 PM
Dr Corkski

Im a big Juan Pablo fan. That being said, I think the name "puffy" fits him to a "T"!

Good one!

Ziggy

nissan gtp
04-08-04, 06:50 PM
way too early in the season to panic. Unless the Paragon gang knows they have a problem that can't be fixed quickly, they should stick it out with the new car..... the old car wouldn't be competetive this year.

Kimi needs points.

Who woulda thought, Button may actually outscore Kimi. baffling.

JT265
04-08-04, 07:59 PM
way too early in the season to panic. Unless the Paragon gang knows they have a problem that can't be fixed quickly, they should stick it out with the new car..... the old car wouldn't be competetive this year.

Kimi needs points.

Who woulda thought, Button may actually outscore Kimi. baffling.

Actually, there is a guy around here taking that "Button will outscore Kimi" action. If you're interested I'll hook you up.

:D

nissan gtp
04-08-04, 08:13 PM
Actually, there is a guy around here taking that "Button will outscore Kimi" action. If you're interested I'll hook you up.

:D

crapus is nuts. still a sucker bet. but then, that what gambling is all about

Kahauna Dreamer
04-09-04, 06:14 PM
""It doesn't worry me that they're bogged down. And if I go to McLaren and in the first year it is a disaster, it doesn't matter to me..."

...mentiroso... let's see here...on the one hand, I want my WDC, on the other hand, "if I go to McLaren and in the first year it is a disaster, it doesn't matter to me..."

and this is AFTER Kimi's car cooked its own goose...:shakehead

extramundane
04-09-04, 08:43 PM
All together now: "Next year is definitely Montoya's year."

Methanolandbrats
04-09-04, 11:12 PM
Monty is a hothead and he won't win in anything, so it does'nt matter.

Railbird
04-09-04, 11:22 PM
Newey looked much more genuis-like with Patrick Head scowling over him.

I've always liked the British Bulldog aspect of Williams and I hate to see Juan leave. Having said that I would be suprised to see McLaren stay in the doldrums very long.

They're all running for the low step on the podium at this point in time anyway so why not tale a chance?

Kahauna Dreamer
04-09-04, 11:33 PM
Newey looked much more genuis-like with Patrick Head scowling over him.

I've always liked the British Bulldog aspect of Williams and I hate to see Juan leave. Having said that I would be suprised to see McLaren stay in the doldrums very long.

They're all running for the low step on the podium at this point in time anyway so why not tale a chance?

^^^ :thumbup: all of the above!
I only hope that when Juan Pablo arrives at McLaren, the Mercs will not self-immolate as they are now.

JT265
04-10-04, 08:57 AM
I only hope that when Juan Pablo arrives at McLaren, the Mercs will not self-immolate as they are now.

WOW!!!! It took years for me to figure out how to do that!!!!!

Engines can do it too?!?!?
;)