PDA

View Full Version : Interesting meeting

DjDrOmusic
02-01-03, 08:35 AM
Thursday night at Woo Doggies, a man came up to me and introduced himself as a flag marshall for not only CART but just about every other series going. He proceeded to show me a credential identifying him as a flag marshall for the USGP. We talked for quite awhile and it turns out he knows Jim Swintel very well, in fact well enough to have some of his portraits, which shocked me because I don't recall ever hearing about Jim Swintel being an artist. I would love to tell you his name but I forgot it. He is planning to come to the get together on the 23rd and is asking if anyone who lives locally would donate posters, photos, etc. of CART events to hang at Woo Doggies. The man is very interested in turning Woo Doggies into the local CART watering hole, which I am also. As there are a few vocal NASCAR fans that frequent the place, this might be a good idea to add some permanent CART items to the walls and cement our relationship with the place. I know we already have a leg up on the NASCAR folks just because of the Mexico City get together, and the fact that I'm a regular there and can push our favorite series on the front line. If anyone would like to donate a poster or any other CART related item to hang at Woo Doggies, please drop them off anytime and tell the bartender to give them to Dr."O". I'll make sure they are put in a proper place of honor, maybe a CART wall or CART corner at Woo Doggies. :thumbup:

Napoleon
02-01-03, 08:38 AM
does he lurk or post on any boards?

RTKar
02-01-03, 11:44 AM
Swintal is a fine artist, I'm the proud owner of a lithograph, called "Lighting the Candle" a portrait of the start of the 67 500 when PJ passed pole sitter Mario Andretti on the opening lap. Allegedly Mario gave PJ the finger as he zoomed past in the STP Turbine car. The portrait has two of my favorite cars the red STP Turbine and Mario's white Dean Van Lines Hawk. I've seen Swintal perusing the motorsport art merchants at Road America, particularly the Motorsport Collector. If you check their website there may be some of his work shown. www.motorsportcollector.com

DjDrOmusic
02-01-03, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Napoleon
does he lurk or post on any boards?

He was lurking 7G, but he knows about OC now!;)

DjDrOmusic
02-01-03, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by RTKar
Swintal is a fine artist, I'm the proud owner of a lithograph, called "Lighting the Candle" a portrait of the start of the 67 500 when PJ passed pole sitter Mario Andretti on the opening lap. Allegedly Mario gave PJ the finger as he zoomed past in the STP Turbine car. The portrait has two of my favorite cars the red STP Turbine and Mario's white Dean Van Lines Hawk. I've seen Swintal perusing the motorsport art merchants at Road America, particularly the Motorsport Collector. If you check their website there may be some of his work shown. www.motorsportcollector.com

WOW!! He is very good, I had no idea that he was an artist. There is a chance that some of his prints will be in tow with this gentleman at Woo Doggies for everyone to look at. Sorry about the spelling of Jim Swintal's name...brain fade! :D

devilmaster
02-01-03, 04:09 PM
Hey Dr,

what did this guy look like? The first party we had, some guy came up and told mello he was a flagger, also. Except this guy was (if it was a forum) trolling.

He sat down with Mel and Dan and started up a conversation, but quickly went into "cart is dead", yada yada yada. I showed up shortly thereafter, pretty much said hello, and he said he had to leave. (OT - I know I have this power to make people just get up and leave :D ) After he left, mel told me the real story, and how the get-together had its own little lemming.

The lemming we had was a older, heavy set guy, wearing thick-rimmed glasses, had short, slicked back dark hair, and, at the time, was wearing this red windbreaker, with a large CART patch sewn on the left breast.

Just wondering if it was the same guy or not.

Steve

DjDrOmusic
02-02-03, 10:59 AM
You've pretty much described him Devilmaster! He did say that he had stopped for awhile during the Mexico City get together, but didn't stay long. The converstion I had with him though was fairly CART and F1 focused, and he seemed truly interested in starting a CART fan hangout at Woo Doggies. One interesting thing I did notice, and it struck me as odd, the credential he showed me from the USGP had a USAC emblem on it. Why would USAC have anything to do with F1????

SteveH
02-02-03, 04:07 PM
USAC supplies track workers for the USGP. Harldy able to fathom that one myself but its been that way since the first year.

See the power that TG has. No wonder Bernie no longer attends.

JoeBob
02-02-03, 04:20 PM
Swintal also did artwork that was used by AAR for their autograph cards. They're pretty cool. I have a handful of them laying around somewhere.

mello
02-02-03, 04:28 PM
Sorry Doc... hope it's not the same guy, or maybe he was having a BAD day. Let's just say it was a good thing I was not intoxicated at that time. lol The guy I talked to was a TOTAL doom and gloomer. I was glad Steve showed up and made the guy leave.:) I am sure willing to give him another chance though. He had a cinci reds jacket on with a CART logo. (man Steve you have a wonderful memory) Sounds like same guy. He was polite and nice but not my kinda CART fan. I spent my first hour at Woo Doggies defending our series. Not my kinda fun. We had a long conversation about how he thought with all the big names going to IRL the series would die. I said who?????? 2 backmarkers and a whiner? Sorry TK I do like yah, just wish you had done more. He also did the Swintel thing with me.. told me Swintel was even worried that Cart was a gone. Just in my opinion .. I was at a gathering for a CART race and I was there to have fun and enjoy the series I love. I did not need or want someone I had never seen in my life to come and try to burst my bubble.(which did not happen)Was just kinda strange. Also.. the couple of Nascar dudes that did stick with us through the race were pretty dang cool!!!! One guy told me he loved it and had a blast with us!

mello
02-02-03, 04:31 PM
And if he is lurking on the boards I hope he reads my post and knows that doom and gloom is NOT allowed at the gatherings..:rolleyes:

DjDrOmusic
02-03-03, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by mello
And if he is lurking on the boards I hope he reads my post and knows that doom and gloom is NOT allowed at the gatherings..:rolleyes:

OH NO!! This surely means the death of CART!!! :laugh: :rofl:

By the way, he had a Browns Jacket on when I met him. Oh well there will be enough of us there to move him along if the D&G starts.