PDA

View Full Version : i got a question

pkvracing12
04-07-04, 10:36 PM
Say if the tables were turned on the earl they where the ones filing for bankruptcy does anyone think that anybody like roger penske or morris nunn or micheal andretti ect would try to save it like jerry kelvin and paul did with the champcar world series or would the earl just be another failed experiment?

Cam
04-07-04, 11:27 PM
Say if the tables were turned on the earl they where the ones filing for bankruptcy does anyone think that anybody like roger penske or morris nunn or micheal andretti ect would try to save it like jerry kelvin and paul did with the champcar world series or would the earl just be another failed experiment?

Lets see.... You are buying out the EARL

1. Your crown jewel is a shadow of it's former self, to the point that 33 doesnt matter.
2. You personally bankroll 1/2 the teams that do show up.
3. Gate money is virtually non-existant. (Attendance is a figment of the imagination, and what shows up are ticket give aways and tie-ins)

Sounds like a bargain doesnt it?

For the Frances that is. :thumdown:

RaceGrrl
04-07-04, 11:32 PM
I think you'd be a fool not to buy it. Buy it, dump the crapwagons and turn it back into ChampCar, provided Indy comes along in the package.

manic mechanic
04-07-04, 11:41 PM
...what Cam and RG said, but with a few options:

1. IF your series is "financially healthy" (it's already #2 in attendance behind only NASCAR), you make a viable offer for the whole ball of wax and 86 the current formula/series (along with the footnote that TG NEVER has any say in what happens from there on) and management.

If it is not accepted:

2. You let it die, and negotiate with the tracks that were previously under contract to hold more profitable events at their venues.

Either way, you essentially start anew, albeit with some old bedfellows.

Just my take..Business isn't my strong point. :D

manic

pinniped
04-07-04, 11:43 PM
Perhaps AJ and Cheever and Rachel's patater chips could turn it into a real powerhouse

mason
04-07-04, 11:53 PM
You've got to dump 6 or even seven ovals.

Ed_Severson
04-08-04, 12:20 AM
That'd be easy.

Ferdman
04-08-04, 04:52 AM
You've got to dump 6 or even seven ovals.

You know how fresh you feel after you take a big dump? Yeah, just like that. The similarities are much closer than you think. :gomer:

Insomniac
04-08-04, 08:07 AM
All they would want to own is IMS. But, you better believe if that was ever for sale, the France family will own it.

Madmaxfan2
04-08-04, 09:31 AM
Andretti funds nothing, he uses other poeple money to fund his dreams, no IRL savior there. Roger Penske sold his race tracks to the France family concern, ISC, no Roger won't bail out Tony or the IRL. Mo Nunn is not wealthy by other business concerns like Penske, so if Mo had the will he doesn't have the means, no luck there. Ganassi has enough money to fund his team efforts, but own a race series and a track, I doubt it. Who is left? I guess IRL is lucky they do not have a bankrupcty issue YET! ;)

Corner5
04-08-04, 11:42 AM
All they would want to own is IMS. But, you better believe if that was ever for sale, the France family will own it.

Correct, that's what the 88 Corp is set up for. Penske and Ganassi are part of that along with the France's ,right?

Can't find too much info but I do remember this article-

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns12313.html

Ziggy
04-08-04, 11:52 AM
I would like to think that TrackForum would by the old Speedplant, and obtain the services of AJ Watson to crank out sixty or so roadsters. Write in a new rule that drivers must have all lived in Indiana for at least fifteen years. They also have to use names like "Chuck, Bill, Jimmy, Spike, Eddie" and return openwheel racing back to its true roots.

The IRL is only one race, and this is a stupid question

but you knew that didnt you?

Ziggy

G.
04-08-04, 12:50 PM
(it's already #2 in attendance behind only NASCAR)
manicIs this a true statement, or a continuation of your "IF..."?

Just looking for clarification.

Steve99
04-08-04, 02:30 PM
Is this a true statement, or a continuation of your "IF..."?

Just looking for clarification.

True statement.

http://www.cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=7597

G.
04-08-04, 04:51 PM
True statement.

http://www.cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=7597'K. I thought manic was implying that earl was #2. Just a comprehension issue I have...

We beat F1, even. :thumbup:

Thanks, Steve99

Insomniac
04-08-04, 08:02 PM
Correct, that's what the 88 Corp is set up for. Penske and Ganassi are part of that along with the France's ,right?

Can't find too much info but I do remember this article-

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns12313.html

I thought Penske cashed out all of his ISC money some time ago. I don't think Ganassi ever was in with ISC. I think he did own that paperclip in Chicago.