PDA

View Full Version : Nigel not impressed with modern F1 cars/teams

ilferrari
04-07-04, 08:39 AM
from f1-live:

He told The Sun: '... In my day it took years to develop the relationships between driver and team and you had to work hard ... to improve the car.’

'Now a young driver can get in, point and squirt, and he's away.'

skidmarks
04-07-04, 08:52 AM
:rofl:

point and squirt :rofl:

I'm soooo imature...

indyfan31
04-07-04, 10:01 AM
I'm soooo imature...
Uhhhh, huhuh-huh...you said 'squirt"..... :laugh:

Nigel not impressed with modern F1 cars/teams
I imagine they're not very impressed with him either.

Joe in LA
04-07-04, 11:46 AM
Utter nonesense. Does he remember his own experience at Williams? He and Piquet were contending for a world title after one and zero completed years at the team respectively. Senna won a world title in his first year with McLaren, Prost nearly did the same. If anything, Schumacher has show the trelationship between the team and driver is more important now than in Nigel's day.

Dr. Corkski
04-07-04, 12:42 PM
It's hard to be impressed by cars that you can't fit in.

Winston Wolfe
04-07-04, 12:50 PM
It's hard to be impressed by cars that you can't fit in.

Can you say "greased tub"?
Or how about "Double wide"
(Remember when his comeback team attempted to accomodate him, by fabricating a wider tub ?)

RichK
04-07-04, 12:59 PM
Someone should've asked him about his "relationship with the team" during his 2nd year at Newman-Haas.....I don't think it was well "developed".

Methanolandbrats
04-07-04, 03:42 PM
Someone should've asked him about his "relationship with the team" during his 2nd year at Newman-Haas.....I don't think it was well "developed". Right, ask anyone who knows that dickhead. The crew and the press hated him.

ilferrari
04-07-04, 05:37 PM

I'm soooo imature...

:laugh: Just in case you didn't know point and squirt is a term referring to racing technique

indyfan31
04-07-04, 07:10 PM
:laugh: Just in case you didn't know point and squirt is a term referring to racing technique.
I have a feeling he did, but the double entendre was too good to resist.

Jervis Tetch 1
04-10-04, 11:36 PM
Utter nonesense. Does he remember his own experience at Williams? He and Piquet were contending for a world title after one and zero completed years at the team respectively. Senna won a world title in his first year with McLaren, Prost nearly did the same. If anything, Schumacher has show the trelationship between the team and driver is more important now than in Nigel's day.

Not quite true Joe. It took Nigel nearly a year at Williams (1985) until he started winning. As it was, he won at South Africa and the old European GP which were two of the last three Grand Prix's of the season. By that time, he was well out of the World Championship battle.

Now in 1986, he was the contender and in all probability should have won the title that year except for that tire disaster in Oz. Nelson then had his shot, but FW brought him in as a precaution handing the Professor his second world title.

Hard Driver
04-11-04, 10:11 PM
Probably more a comment about the bastardized tracks today being all point and squirt tracks. And in that respect, he could be right.

Joe in LA
04-12-04, 11:17 AM
Not quite true Joe. It took Nigel nearly a year at Williams (1985) until he started winning. As it was, he won at South Africa and the old European GP which were two of the last three Grand Prix's of the season. By that time, he was well out of the World Championship battle.

Now in 1986, he was the contender and in all probability should have won the title that year except for that tire disaster in Oz. Nelson then had his shot, but FW brought him in as a precaution handing the Professor his second world title.

I said it took him a year. It took Piquet all the way until the end of his first race to win. Neither needed years of partnership with the team to be title contenders.

JohnHKart
04-14-04, 04:29 AM
Someone should've asked him about his "relationship with the team" during his 2nd year at Newman-Haas.....I don't think it was well "developed".

I am a Nigel fan, but those last couple of years were sure lame weren't they, other than the pole and hand me down (thanks Michael, Damon and Gerhard) win in the Williams in Australia in 94. He refused to test or help develop the Lola in 94 so it really tarnished the great story that 93 was.

John