PDA

View Full Version : 'Just Al' Unser to drive in Atlantics with P-1 Racing

devilmaster
04-07-04, 01:09 AM
http://www.cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=7617

INDIANAPOLIS (April 6, 2004) - One of the most famous names in auto racing has joined the Toyota Atlantic Championship Presented by Yokohama, as fourth-generation driver Al Unser and P-1 Racing today announced they have joined forces for 2004.

The 21-year-old from Albuquerque, N.M. who goes by the nickname of "Just Al," enters Toyota Atlantic after scoring four top-10 finishes en route to 12th place in the 2003 Barber Dodge Pro Series championship. He also finished seventh in the 2002 Formula Dodge National Championship and earned Rookie of the Year honors in the 2002 Skip Barber Western Racing Series on the strength of six victories and nine podium finishes.

Steve

Lizzerd
04-07-04, 02:16 AM
Not quite a glowing resume, but I wish Just Al all the luck.

Joe in LA
04-07-04, 11:58 AM
Same thoughts here--but, it's not necessarily a bad idea to move throught the lower series with a year in each--enought to get some experience, but not enought to be a serious contender at each level. Now, he probably ought to settle into Altantics for a few seasons and wait to move up to the big leagues until he is winning at this level.

pchall
04-07-04, 09:08 PM
Now, he probably ought to settle into Altantics for a few seasons and wait to move up to the big leagues until he is winning at this level.

Waiting for Marco to catch up with him?

Railbird
04-07-04, 09:11 PM
I agree Joe

the lower rungs are for gaining your footing, no sense hanging around trying to be the big fish if you already have cash or a name for a calling card.

T/A is a good place to prove yourself.

His gramps was a hell of a driver and his dad may have been a little better yet, t will be interesting to see if the kid can show any traces of either.

he's got the partyin' thing down already, now let's see if he can drive

Insomniac
04-08-04, 08:16 AM
But I thought since the IRL and Indy are so much better, why aren't they all racing in IPS? After all, ovals are our future and TA only has one.

tomahawk
04-08-04, 05:41 PM
I guess the races won't conflict with the substance abuse therapy...

:tomahawk

Jervis Tetch 1
04-10-04, 11:17 PM
According to a source of mine who knows Shelley, she said it was a one race deal and that hopefully he did well enough to attract a sponsor.

Ziggy
04-10-04, 11:54 PM
If you guys remember, Al Jr. was a terror in the lower formula. I just cant remember what it was called. He had the Roman Wheel thing going, it was a Ralt and it was number 5. (Mini Indy, Mondial)??? and then they went and did the CanAm deal. He was good in both. He was a factor in the races, lead, fast time, won, everything.

This is when a driver needs to move up. It does not seem to work that way anymore. Those who move up are the ones who have more success in finding the money.

That being said, no doubt this kid of Little Al's is a sure fire bet to find himself being a professional racecar driver.

Good Luck, he was born with every oppertunity ever given. I doubt that even his Dad could screw up his one shot at the big time (birth rite) now.

Ziggy

theunions
04-11-04, 02:20 AM
If you guys remember, Al Jr. was a terror in the lower formula. I just cant remember what it was called. He had the Roman Wheel thing going, it was a Ralt and it was number 5. (Mini Indy, Mondial)???

Super Vee in '81.

Peter Olivola
04-11-04, 09:30 AM
Age old problem. There are always more drivers than seats. There are also more owners than sponsors. The rest is as inevitable as the morning sunrise.

If you guys remember, Al Jr. was a terror in the lower formula. I just cant remember what it was called. He had the Roman Wheel thing going, it was a Ralt and it was number 5. (Mini Indy, Mondial)??? and then they went and did the CanAm deal. He was good in both. He was a factor in the races, lead, fast time, won, everything.

This is when a driver needs to move up. It does not seem to work that way anymore. Those who move up are the ones who have more success in finding the money.

That being said, no doubt this kid of Little Al's is a sure fire bet to find himself being a professional racecar driver.

Good Luck, he was born with every oppertunity ever given. I doubt that even his Dad could screw up his one shot at the big time (birth rite) now.

Ziggy

pchall
04-11-04, 09:44 AM
Super Vee in '81.

Didn't Al, Jr. also have a few Atlantics starts? I remember LBGP when CART first ran the even for one.

DaveL
04-11-04, 11:48 AM
But I thought since the IRL and Indy are so much better, why aren't they all racing in IPS? After all, ovals are our future and TA only has one.

My thoughts exactly.

He should be learning how to floor the throttle and do a little bit of steering. The braking, downshifting, opposite lock turning and all of the rest that those Nancy Boy road courses require won't help on the ovals of the IRL.

Insomniac
04-11-04, 02:01 PM
My thoughts exactly.

He should be learning how to floor the throttle and do a little bit of steering. The braking, downshifting, opposite lock turning and all of the rest that those Nancy Boy road courses require won't help on the ovals of the IRL.

It's interesting how TA is a better training ground and if they succeded in killing ChampCar, all they would have left is IPS. It's amazing what some manufactures can do for a series.

theunions
04-11-04, 07:09 PM
Didn't Al, Jr. also have a few Atlantics starts? I remember LBGP when CART first ran the even for one.

I want to say a grand total of one start, but a quick flip through mid-80's CART media guides mention nothing.

Or am I thinking of Tracy instead?