PDA

View Full Version : McLaren to dump the Mp4-19?

devilmaster
04-07-04, 01:06 AM
From TSN.ca

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?ID=79175&hubName=auto_racing

TSN.ca Staff

4/6/2004

Three races into the new Formula One season and there are reports that McLaren are prepared to throw in the towel.

According to a report in the Guardian newspaper, the Woking-based team is prepared to scrap the underperforming MP4-19 for a brand new car, possibly in time for the Hungarian Grand Prix in August.

That would mark the second time in as many years that McLaren have shelved their new chassis without a full season of running under their belt. The team never did competitively race the MP4-18 after it developed teething problems in the design and development process.

When the MP4-19 debuted last November, it was immediately quick out of the box, showing signs that maybe the team had turned the corner on a troubling 2003 season. But as the winter testing season wore on and the other teams introduced their new challengers, it became clear that the new McLaren was significantly off the pace.

Sunday's disappointing showing in Bahrain has also led to speculation of a major shakeup within the team's technical department.

Driver David Coulthard stated that outside influences may have led the team to lose its focus this season.

McLaren boss Ron Dennis denied that an overdue and over budget move to the team's new facility is to blame for the poor start to the season.

"I can understand why people might think that," he tells the newspaper. "But they are wrong. The fact is that I have tremendous confidence in our organization, but inevitably we can't get it right all the time."

"I don't want to hide behind anybody else. I have no problem in taking criticism. It's painful, but only a fool would identify any individual in any organization and say that organization succeeds or fails because of that person."

Dennis stated earlier this year that several major upgrades to the MP4-19 chassis would be introduced as the season wore on.

Steve

pinniped
04-07-04, 01:59 AM
the car they entered two years ago seems to get better every year, why not give it another go? :rofl:

skidmarks
04-07-04, 08:11 AM
Will that keep the Merc from exploding?

Insomniac
04-07-04, 08:36 AM
See what happens when they can get through an entire weekend first. Not sure how a new chassis will help.

4wheeldrifter
04-07-04, 12:31 PM
Will that keep the Merc from exploding?

I'd say maybe they'd want to go back to the 2002 engine as well. Just change it out prior to every race and start at the rear. They should at least catch the Sauber's or Jag's before race end. :p

Steve99
04-07-04, 04:12 PM
Hasn't the move to a new chassis this year been in the plans since before the season started?

B3RACER1a
04-07-04, 04:45 PM
I dont think its a car problem really. Some of it sure. But the car looks stable and quick. I think its mostly motor problems. Lack of power and reliability.

RichK
04-07-04, 04:51 PM
I think I heard that the new chassis is stressing the motor too much. Maybe going back to the old MP4-17 (after finding them in mall displays across Europe :p ) would help with the flame-throwing.

Man, McLaren's yearly budget X 2 has yielded squat.

Redwing
04-07-04, 04:57 PM
Flames out of the exhaust usually don't indicate a chassis problem. McLaren seem to be taking a lot of blame, but what has M-B been spending their money on?

Joe in LA
04-07-04, 07:09 PM
Flames out of the exhaust usually don't indicate a chassis problem.

Of course it's a chassis problem--(1) the engine is a stressed member of the chassis, and (2) parts of the chassis appeared to be melted. :) Much like the electrical system problems Ferrari's used to suffer when pistons went throught the wiring harness.

B3RACER1a
04-08-04, 12:47 AM
Of course it's a chassis problem--(1) the engine is a stressed member of the chassis, and (2) parts of the chassis appeared to be melted. :) Much like the electrical system problems Ferrari's used to suffer when pistons went throught the wiring harness.

Anyone remember Robby Gordon at Houston a few years ago in the Eagle Toyota? :rofl:

"Make sure to tell them its electrical" or something like that while white and bluw smoke pour from the back fo the car, not to mention flames.

4wheeldrifter
04-08-04, 07:52 AM
Flames out of the exhaust usually don't indicate a chassis problem. McLaren seem to be taking a lot of blame, but what has M-B been spending their money on?

But you gotta admit: the flames are really cool looking :gomer: :thumbup:

Redwing
04-08-04, 09:10 AM
Here's a question: What have been the greatest engine blowups in history?

My list: 1994 McLaren -Peugeot at the British GP. Martin Brundle was driving, and at the start the camera was focused on his car, because it was starting to emit white smoke. When the lights turned green (or went off, I don't remember) and he put his foot down, thick white smoke shot out the back followed quickly by a huge fireball. It looked like the launch of the Space Shuttle. Watch for the British GP replay on F1 Decade coming up soon.

1996 CART Road America, Robby Gordon's Ford AND Al Jr's Mercedes. Mikey's Ford won, Rahal's finished second because Juniors engine blew up big time two corners from victory. Gordon gets mention because he was told to keep going even though the engine sounded more like an Independance Day celebration.

Any Ferrari Turbo F1 engine. If you watch F1 in the mid 80's you know what I'm talking about. It was like watch the Vatican pick a new Pope at every race.

Dirty Sanchez
04-08-04, 09:29 AM
Here's a question: What have been the greatest engine blowups in history?Fisichella (I think) had a really nasty one... I wanna say at Spa two years ago. Jordan-Ford (CosBLAM).

Ziggy
04-08-04, 11:33 AM
Tons of high dollar turbo blow ups at Indy over the years.

The term "Power Blow" was coined while watching Tom Sneva venelate a Turbo V6 Buick one year while trying to win the pole position late... Vince Granatelli car, forget the year.

The first generation CART Toyota motor was pretty regular in the power blow department. The AAR Eagle at Elkhart Lake with Christmas Dinner on board was memorable for its duration.

Ziggy

B3RACER1a
04-08-04, 04:35 PM
AAR Eagle was a really good one, and it kept going up for a while. I have a large picture of that somewhere. It's focused in tight on the driver's cockpit, you can see him jumping out, and in the background all you see is a huge fireball.

Lizzerd
04-08-04, 06:36 PM
Since we're on the subject of grenading engines, I was sitting on the hillside at Hurry Downs at RA a few years ago when C. Fittipaldi lit up at Turn 7 during a practice session. Huge flash. Looked like a jet powered dragster. It might have been psycosomatic (is that the right word?), but I swear I felt a blast of heat when it blew. I saw a picture of it somewhere a few days later.

JT265
04-08-04, 08:01 PM
Not to mess with ya Lizzerd, but those hot flashes are usually the onset of menopause.

Hope that helps. ;)

B3RACER1a
04-10-04, 10:14 AM
He has seemed a little touchy moody lately, hasnt he? :rofl:

sundaydriver2
04-10-04, 10:56 AM
Seems to me that Honda has had a few Bombs. I think I remember a pop off valve being launched into space from Paul Tracy's carl. :laugh:

Hardpoint
04-10-04, 11:14 AM
Seems to me that Honda has had a few Bombs. I think I remember a pop off valve being launched into space from Paul Tracy's carl. :laugh:

That was at Fontana. If I remember correctly, he just about decapitated a driver behind him.

Insomniac
04-10-04, 03:56 PM
That was at Fontana. If I remember correctly, he just about decapitated a driver behind him.

The plenum blew and the debris took da Matta out. That was crazy though. Just driving along and boom, the engine cover blows apart.

Lizzerd
04-10-04, 03:58 PM
He has seemed a little touchy moody lately, hasnt he? :rofl:

No I haven't!!! STFU!!! :)

Jervis Tetch 1
04-10-04, 11:25 PM
As a long-time McLaren fan, this really sucks. It reminds me of their lean years 78-80.

The cycle will turn...Ferrari had its tough years as did Williams...when the pendelum swings back, McLaren will be back and order will be restored.

stroker
04-11-04, 01:59 AM
You tell 'em, Jerv.

:cool:

oddlycalm
04-11-04, 05:35 PM
Actually, it probably is the chassis stress in the engine that is grenading them. That was it with the Honda engines in the BAR as well. All it takes is the engine block to twist out of alignment a couple thousands of an inch along the crank axis and you will begin launching internals.

One of the most spectacular blowups I've seen was on a race track, but was not actually a race car. It was during track day at Phoenix and the guy had a late 2001 M3, one of the cars from the late 01/early02 that are famous for blowing the lower end (bogus oil pump and bearing clearances) before the recall that fixed them. The piston put a fist sized hole in the block and the flame and smoke from all 7 quarts of oil being dumped on the hot exhaust pipe made it look like they were fogging for mosquitos. Have a look if you want a giggle.
Engine failure saga (http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287193059)

oc

Insomniac
04-11-04, 06:20 PM
Actually, it probably is the chassis stress in the engine that is grenading them. That was it with the Honda engines in the BAR as well. All it takes is the engine block to twist out of alignment a couple thousands of an inch along the crank axis and you will begin launching internals.

One of the most spectacular blowups I've seen was on a race track, but was not actually a race car. It was during track day at Phoenix and the guy had a late 2001 M3, one of the cars from the late 01/early02 that are famous for blowing the lower end (bogus oil pump and bearing clearances) before the recall that fixed them. The piston put a fist sized hole in the block and the flame and smoke from all 7 quarts of oil being dumped on the hot exhaust pipe made it look like they were fogging for mosquitos. Have a look if you want a giggle.
Engine failure saga (http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287193059)

oc

You have to join (I know it's free) to see them. For those of you who want to, here is an ofer for a free Mug.

Edit: Looks like it is gone.