PDA

View Full Version : Need some prayers for an old race fan...

RTKar
04-05-04, 09:42 PM
It's been a long and trying day....

The man who took me to my first race as a very young boy, my Father, was diagnosed with two forms of cancer today. There appears to be some treatability, we just don't know how much at this point. There are so many questions to be answered and so much uncertainty. Last year I took him to Indy in May, to a race he had never been to, one that he had always wanted to see. The irl was not something I wanted to do but my love for my father far outweighed my dislike for what has happened in Indy. As I sit here trying to write something , all I can think of is how thankful I am for having done that last May.

Railbird
04-05-04, 09:50 PM
thoughts and prayers RT, lets hope the treatability factor is high

pfc_m_drake
04-05-04, 09:54 PM
My thoughts to you, your father, and your family. May everything work out for the best.

racer2c
04-05-04, 10:00 PM
My thoughts and prayers RT.

RaceGrrl
04-05-04, 10:02 PM
Rick, you and your family are in my thoughts.

manic mechanic
04-05-04, 10:16 PM
Thoughts and prayers from the "left" coast, RT..

Whatever the prognosis, don't let your dad lose hope..Whether it be through family reinforcement or faith, there are a lot of things an oncologist can't forsee. The strength and fortitude of the patient has more to do with "beating the devil" than treatments do, IMHO.

If you want a great story of how true the afforementioned can be, PM me.

manic

Jag_Warrior
04-05-04, 10:23 PM
After suffering a stroke last summer, I've watched my father slowly slip a bit more each day. A helluva man... made back in the day when men were still men, who always seemed bigger than life, who I feared (the only man I can genuinely say ever scared me to the quick) and respected as I grew up, is now barely able to stand up, walk or remember what day it is. I wouldn't p!ss on Tony George if his heart was on fire. But if my father said he wanted to go to the Indy 500 (IRL race or not), I'd take him and make sure he had the time of his life.

I wish you, your father and your entire family all the best.

lone_groover
04-05-04, 10:26 PM
Good thougths happening for your dad, RT.

:thumbup:

Rob
04-05-04, 10:34 PM
Jeez Rick, I'm sorry to hear that. Best wishes for a total recovery. Stay strong. :thumbup:

fourrunner
04-05-04, 10:38 PM
Sorry to hear that RTKar ... All my Best to You & Yours !!!

racer2c
04-05-04, 10:41 PM
After suffering a stroke last summer, I've watched my father slowly slip a bit more each day. A helluva man... made back in the day when men were still men, who always seemed bigger than life, who I feared (the only man I can genuinely say ever scared me to the quick) and respected as I grew up, is now barely able to stand up, walk or remember what day it is. I wouldn't p!ss on Tony George if his heart was on fire. But if my father said he wanted to go to the Indy 500 (IRL race or not), I'd take him and make sure he had the time of his life.

:thumbup:

Robstar
04-05-04, 10:48 PM
Thougts & Prayers from Downunder... :(

My Mum was diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer 4 days before Christmas '03
Pending another test in 5 weeks, she will more than likely go into full/prolonged remission according to her Doc...

You'll be amazed at what Medicine can do for cancer these days... :)

Good luck mate

chop456
04-05-04, 11:04 PM
Thoughts and prayers, RK.

Warlock!
04-05-04, 11:20 PM
Stay positive, RT, and instill positive thoughts into your pop. Never underestimate the human body's reaction to a strong will. My dad is living proof. We're thinkin about ya.

Warlock!

Dirty Sanchez
04-05-04, 11:24 PM
Terrible news... sorry to read it. Hope he gets through it.

anait
04-05-04, 11:27 PM
RT, I'm so sorry. Thoughts and prayers for you, your dad, and your family.

Lizzerd
04-05-04, 11:35 PM
Prayers with you, Rick.

meadors
04-05-04, 11:38 PM
Makes you remember that everyday is to be lived and savored. I so hope it comes out well for you. Fight it. Keep the faith.

RTKar
04-05-04, 11:39 PM
Thanks everyone...Thank You very much.

Kiwifan
04-06-04, 12:02 AM
Take care friend. I guess most of us have had some dealing with this and it's not easy, believe me. I hope everything works out.

Russell.

JT265
04-06-04, 12:07 AM
Thought and prayers RT. I went through the same deal with my dad, and there is no doubt that it's tough.

And a :thumbup: for your Indy exp. too.

SteveH
04-06-04, 12:57 AM
Hang in there. You've got a lot of support here at OC.

Will be thinking of you and your father.

Peace.

nz_climber
04-06-04, 01:31 AM
My thoughts are with you and your dad rick, hope things get better

pinniped
04-06-04, 01:43 AM
Best wishes and hopes for both of you to be strong and pull through...

DjDrOmusic
04-06-04, 02:00 AM
Our Prayers are with you Rick.

Anteater
04-06-04, 05:39 AM
Thoughts and prayers, RTKar.

cartgal
04-06-04, 09:27 AM
I'm so sorry. There's nothing that quite wrecks the bedrock of your life like hearing of a parent's dread disease -- my mom just died last March from ovarian cancer. HOWEVER, as other have said here -- DO NOT LOSE HOPE!! It IS amazing what medicine and positive mental thoughts and all that can do these days.

Laughter is especially helpful -- try the Blue Collar Comedy Tour CD for a night of very good laughs! You and your dad need them right now.

If it feels right, keep us informed of his prognosis and let us provide you with whatever help you need -- sources of information, laughs, general bucking up, distractions, friendship.

My thoughts and prayers are with you right now and as long as you'll need them.

G.
04-06-04, 10:01 AM
Consider it done. Stay positive and don't be afraid to reach out to someone for support.

JoeBob
04-06-04, 11:02 AM
When I was in second grade, my dad was diagnosed with colon cancer. Back then, I knew that my dad was sick, but I didn't really understand what it meant. It wasn't until years later that I realized just how lucky I was that he was still with us.

In the spring of my senior in high school, he got sick again, and what was left of his large intestines needed to be removed. Before he got sick, we had planned a trip to Toronto to see the CART race. (We'd gone to the races at the Meadowlands a few years earlier, but hadn't been for a while.) After his surgery, he was in a lot of pain, and very depressed. All he did was sit on the couch and feel sorry for himself, because it just hurt too much to move. But, he knew he'd promised me that trip to Toronto, so we went, knowing that he might not last long at the track.

It turns out that earlier that week, Paul Tracy had broken his foot in a go-karting accident. He was in a ton of pain at the track, and needed a ride on the tire cart and help from two crew members just to get to the bathrooms in the automotive building (the CART paddock at the time.) As PT was hobbling back to the cart from the bathroom, my dad walked over to him, put his hand on PT's shoulder and said, "Paul, I had major surgery two months ago, and I'm here today. You can do it."

Paul Tracy probably does not remember that moment, but I sure do, and so does my dad. (My dad still talks about it!) When he saw what PT was doing, driving through concrete canyons at 200MPH even though he could barely walk - my dad realized that he could fight through too. I've never seen a turnaround in somebody's attitude like the one in my dad's that day.

Every since that year, he and I have made a point to meet at a racetrack somewhere in the country to take in a race.

There are two morals to this story:
1. Never give up hope
2. There's nothing like a father/son day at the track

I hope you and your dad can spend many more days together at the track.

mello
04-06-04, 12:43 PM
Truly sorry to hear this Rick. Our thoughts are with you and hoping for the best.
Dan and Mel

Eagle104
04-06-04, 12:51 PM
Prayers and best wishes for your dad and to you and yours, Rick.

ChampcarShark
04-06-04, 01:09 PM
My prayers are with you and your family Rick.

May God give and your family the comfort you need and to your father to bring health.

TRDfan
04-07-04, 10:52 PM
Rick,

I saw your posting before going to Mass this evening. I said some prayers for your father and lit a candle for him also.

My wife is a cancer survivor and I still get scared whenever she gets sick or needs to see the doctor for "something little"

I will keep your father and your family in my prayers.

Steve

Corner5
04-08-04, 11:54 AM
My prayers are with you,never give up hope!

I had to watch both my parents die at a young age. Cherish the memories and make new ones.Glad you have indy to remember.

RTKar
04-18-04, 10:26 AM
A little update...

My fathers malignancy is called Peritoneal Mesothelioma, it's an incurable cancer caused by exposure to asbestos. Mesothelioma usually affects the lungs when asbestos fibers are ingested through breathing. The latency can be up to 60 years before any problem is detected. My Dad's exposure was in two ways; he had worked for Johns Manville (an irl sponsor) for a couple years after he graduated high school, he also had a long term exposure from his father who worked their 40 years. Growing up my Dad would have been exposed to fibers brought home on his Dad's clothes. His father died from Pleural (lungs) Mesothelioma. Although a few fibers have been detected in my fathers lungs, they have not been the problem. The hows and whys of having asbestos fibers affect ones abdomen are not fully known. It's a very rare cancer, hard to diagnose, usually it's found as result of some other situation.
There is quite a bit of medical research going on. Surgery is an option to increase longevity but is very risky, while currently a new chemo drug produced by Lilly (ALIMTA) has shown great promise in affecting longevity.

Fortunately my sister is an RN and is able to digest all of the medical information we are finding on the internet which has been an invaluable tool. The day of my Father's diagnosis, I had contacted via e-mail something called MARF, The Mesothelioma Advanced Resarch Foundation and within a couple hours had a phone call from its' director. He has been nothing but supportive and helpful dirececting us to contacts in research centers throughout the states. My sister has been in contact with a number of doctors because of this networking.

We will also be pursuing legal action against the asbestos industry. There have been numerous suits due to this disease and the negligence of the industry. However, the Federal government is trying to pass legislation to halt all lawsuits involving asbestos due to the fact awards have been so costly to the industry. The more I've read about the history of the situation the more agitated I become from the culpability of the industry and their lack of action to rectify the problem while they made handsome profits .... My Dad may have to pay, out of his own pocket, $500 for 3 post chemo anti nausea pills every 3 weeks because insurance may not cover the prescription.... It looks as if we will be pursuing either a treatment option in Omaha Nebraska or Chicago. As of now, he'll start chemo next week.

Napoleon
04-18-04, 10:29 AM
Best of luck Rick.

Both my parents are gone and its never easy.

RTKar
04-18-04, 10:33 AM
Best of luck Rick.

Both my parents are gone and its never easy.

Thanks Nap.

cart7
04-18-04, 11:44 AM
Good luck to you Rick and God bless your Father. I'm lucky to still have both of mine.

cartgal
04-19-04, 10:16 AM
RTKar, be sure to also check out your local hospice group. They aren't just for "the end game," as it were. Our group was a blessing during Mom's last weeks -- providing information and reassurance and comfort for not only Mom but the rest of us. And if one group seems not to your liking, see if there's another chapter around you can contact. I'm sure they can provide you with more information re: local groups, programs for handling costs, help with determining what insurance will and won't cover, etc. And it's awfully nice just to have someone around who is aware of what you're going through that you yourself may not have yet recognized.

Madmaxfan2
04-19-04, 02:23 PM
As a cancer patient, I understand all too well of what your father is going through. I have been diagnoised with head & neck cancer, squamous cell carianoma, primary site unknown, stage four metastis. I am undergoing my second round of treatments, chemothreapy. My first round consisted of a neck disection surgery, radiation, and chemo. The radiation burned my throat tissues to the point I could not swallow for four months, lived on a feeding tube, lost 60 lbs. You say it was hell. Prayer is the ultimate answer, and where one should place one's trust. Your father will be added to my prayer list.

TRDfan
04-19-04, 08:57 PM
Rick,

You and your father have been in my prayers and thoughts since you first posted about this. My wife is a cancer survivor and has done some volunteer work with the American Cancer Society - they are a great organization and can help out in many different ways.

I look back at your posts about going to Indy with your Dad and memories created that day. In the midst of everything, make time to be "normal" and do normal Dad/son things. Those will be times you'll never forget.

Steve

lisa
04-19-04, 09:24 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this news, Rick. I know your dad really did enjoy going to Indy last year, and being there with you, I'm sure made it special for him. Be sure and tell him we are all thinking about him and praying for him. He is a good and kind person. Keep thinking positive.

Lisa