PDA

View Full Version : Forsythe e-mail?

Sean O'Gorman
04-05-04, 05:52 PM
This was in my inbox today:

Sent : Monday, April 5, 2004 2:40 PM
To : sogorman35@msn.com
Subject : Automated Reply from Mexico City <mexicocity@www.forsythe-racing.com>

Thank you for your email, a member of Forsythe Racing will contact you regarding
your enquiry as soon as possible.

Forsythe Racing Inc.

www.forsythe-racing.com
1111 S. Willis Ave
Wheeling Illinois 60090

I never sent any e-mail to Forsythe Racing. Anyone know what this is about or did you get one too???

Axel
04-05-04, 06:08 PM
Did you ever sign up at players.com

as i got one as well and i could only think that might have been where they
got my info from...

Either way i lov email from teams

Have to say the email i used to get from Sigma racing a few years back was great.

Sean O'Gorman
04-05-04, 06:12 PM
I tried to get my name on the Player's car last year, that might be it.

Hard Driver
04-05-04, 06:38 PM
Probably someone has a virus.

Most of the virus's now contain their own e-mail engine. They scan the host machine and then generate e-mails with BOTH the to and from fields spoofed with addresses they find. If someone, and you can't tell who, had both your e-mail address and the forsythe-racing e-mail address on their machine, it could send a virus to the forsythe address using your address as the from field. That response looks like an automated response, so the forsythe address then responded back with their canned response to you, even though you really did not send it. Virus writers do this so that you can't respond back to the actual infected machine and tell them they are infected.

Let me add that does not mean YOU have a virus. Someone else does. Also this response does not have the virus load, it is just a canned response.