PDA

View Full Version : Aussie to drive at Surfers...

Robstar
04-05-04, 02:39 AM
:thumbup: :thumbup:

MEDIA RELEASE
April 05, 2004
YOUNG QUEENSLANDER SECURES CHAMP CAR DRIVE AT INDY
A young Queenslander has been given the chance of a life time and will line up in a Champ Car at this year’s Lexmark Indy 300 in his home town of the Gold Coast, Queensland Premier Peter Beattie announced today.

Gold Coast 18-year-old Josh Hunt has been given the opportunity to drive in the America-based Toyota Atlantics Championship this year and will be on the grid in a Champ Car for this year’s Lexmark Indy 300 on the streets of Surfers Paradise from October 21 to 24.

The opportunity has been made possible by sponsorship from high-profile Gold Coast businessman Craig Gore and his company WPS Financial Services and US-based Australian Champ Car series owner Kevin Kalkhoven.

Hunt will become the first Australian to drive a Champ Car at Queensland’s premier event since Jason Bright in 2000. Gary Brabham, son of three-time world champion Sir Jack Brabham, is the only other Australian to have competed in a Champ Car on the Gold Coast back in 1992 and 93.

“This is one of the biggest announcements we have ever made on the Lexmark Indy 300,” said Mr Beattie.

“A young Queenslander has the opportunity to further his international motor racing career and also line up in front of hundreds of thousands of screaming fans in his home town.

“It also adds a new and exciting element to this year’s Lexmark Indy 300, with a Queensland driver on the grid for everyone to support. The atmosphere will be electric.

“I must thank Gold Coast businessman Craig Gore who has seen the potential in Josh, and also to Aussie Champ Car principal Kevin Kalkhoven who is leading the resurgence in this great motor racing category which is a feature of Indy.”

Hunt’s entry into the Toyota Atlantics Championship with team Lynx Racing and the Lexmark Indy 300 is an extension of the company WPS’s involvement in Australian motorsport which includes a V8 Supercar team and sponsorship of the V8 Supercar safety car program.

WPS owner Craig Gore said the support of Hunt was a natural extension of his company’s motorsport branding and the start of WPS motorsport’s junior development program.

“Indy is a fantastic event and we are delighted that we have been able to provide the support needed to get a young Aussie into the field for this year’s event,” said Gore.

“We have taken a corporate box at the event each year and now we will have a car in both the V8 Supercar and Champ Car events, which will be fantastic.

“Josh has shown maturity beyond his years and we really think he is a star of the future. The fact that he is Gold Coast born and bred is also another appealing thing about this young guy.

“We are using motorsport at all levels to brand WPS Financial Services with the V8 Supercar program being our number one priority.

“It would be great if we could kick-start Josh’s career into the big time and for him to be a part of our V8 Supercar operation in the future.

“For this deal to proceed, I acknowledge the support of Kevin Kalkhoven who has put his money where his mouth is regarding the Champ Car World Series, and we look forward to working with him and his team.”

Kalkhoven is delighted to have Hunt in the US and, more importantly, have him set for a drive in a third Champ Car from his own PKV Racing operation at the Lexmark Indy 300 later in the year.

“I am Australian and I am proud that we have been able to put this deal together,” said Kalkhoven.

“I think it is important to have an Australian in the Gold Coast race and hopefully full-time in the future.

“We have to thank Craig Gore for his support of this program and I am sure Josh will do a fine job.

“It will be a bit of a buzz for me personally to have a young Aussie in a Champ Car on the streets of the Gold Coast.”

Lexmark Indy 300 Chairman John Cowley was thrilled with today’s announcement.

“I think having Josh in the Toyota Atlantics Championship will give fans plenty to focus on during the season,” said Cowley.

“It is a great breeding ground for future Champ Car stars, and will give him plenty of experience before focusing on that big race on the Gold Coast come October.”

Hunt will travel to the US tomorrow for a two-day test in Las Vegas later this week before another test at Buttonwillow in California next Tuesday. He will then travel to Long Beach where he will compete in the opening round of the championship at the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach.

“There is no doubt that this is one of the greatest opportunities I could be provided,” said Hunt.

“The door has been opened for me thanks to Mr Kalkhoven and Mr Gore and I know I have to make the most of it.

“I realise I have responsibilities as a representative of Queensland and the Lexmark Indy 300 and I will be doing everything possible to fulfill those on and off the track.”

Hunt will live in Sonoma in California, which is about 85km north of San Francisco. He will work with the Lynx Racing team on a daily basis and will have Kiwi-born engineer and team manger Steve Cameron as his mentor.

A media program has been put in place to allow the Australian media and the general public a chance to follow Hunt’s progress through the season.

Lizzerd
04-05-04, 03:54 AM
Though it's nice to see another car on the grid, and it is good to have another Atlantics driver funded, I'm a bit... I don't know what the word is... I just hope he doesn't... Well... never mind... Best of luck to you, KK and Josh Hunt.

I guess I'm just saying that I would like to see more experience and proven ability.

Kiwifan
04-05-04, 05:54 AM
Me too Lizzerd but I remember how the place went nuts for Brighty. You can bet there will be heaps more media coverage because of this. Good or bad I don't know but at least people still want to be in a Champ Car. ;)

Rusty.

Steve99
04-05-04, 12:46 PM
I found this funny:

“Indy is a fantastic event and we are delighted that we have been able to provide the support needed to get a young Aussie into the field for this year’s event,” said Gore.

I guess he understands what Indy means. :D

I was confused as to whether he is testing a Champ Car or TA car at Vegas.

ChampcarShark
04-05-04, 03:45 PM
I see it as great PR, if OWRS founds part of an entry for a native in each event it is almost a guarantee that a big crowd is going to attend just to support the local driver.

Free advertising from the local media and all that good stuff that comes when they know there is a local at the wheel in the premier event.

On the same note it is good that OWRS supports the ladder series.