PDA

View Full Version : Indy 500 Tickets Available Online

chop456
01-31-03, 06:03 PM
http://my.brickyard.com/500/

Beginning at 8 a.m. (EST) Saturday, Feb. 1, 2003, tickets for all days of on-track activity in the Month of May – including a limited supply of reserved seats for the 2003 Indianapolis 500 – will go on sale at www.imstix.com. In addition to gate tickets for all days, fans can purchase parking passes for official IMS parking lots online.

Reserved seats available?

SteveH
01-31-03, 06:39 PM
Thank you Tony George for fixing open wheel racing in the US.

You've done one helluva job. Not sure anyone could have achieved what you have in a short 7 years. You are the only man that could have done it. Way to make a difference!

Napoleon
01-31-03, 06:53 PM
And the funny thing is this is after years of shrinking the pool of availble seats.

Thank God T13 isn't here to tell us how they really are selling more tickets.

:shakehead

nrc
01-31-03, 08:04 PM
This is simply the predictable result of Donnie Beechler not having a ride.

pchall
01-31-03, 08:46 PM
Gotta love it.

The IRL 497.5 is in the dumper.

What more can Tony George do in 2003 to further diminish a once great race?

Hurling Frootmig
02-01-03, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by pchall
Gotta love it.

Don't worry Tony will think of something. Just imagine if he would put the full efforts of his creative mind to the family business. :D

JLMannin
02-01-03, 12:59 AM
The Marion County Indycentric revisionists will now claim that this is a trend that dates back to the mid 80's and reached its peak in the mid 90's.

My cousin tried for several years straight to get tickets in the early '90's - finally, he did his research and discovered which mailbox was emptied first and devivered to the Marion County central post office first on Tuesday after Memorial Day. The ticket app had to be postmarked after the race, or else it was discarded. The year he did this, he got tickets inside turn four in bleachers that no longer exits. Funny enough, they were removed in the late '90's. During this time, he did serious upgrading. Finally, he just gave up the tickets altother and now buys tickets minutes before the race starts minutes before the race starts for less than half face value. Does anyone know how this can be? ;) ;)

RaceGrrl
02-01-03, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by JLMannin
Finally, he just gave up the tickets altother and now buys tickets minutes before the race starts minutes before the race starts for less than half face value. Does anyone know how this can be? ;) ;)

It's all a part of Tony's vision.

Hurling Frootmig
02-01-03, 10:21 AM
Tony's secret vision was to bring the sport back to the short track guy and since none of them can get rides he decided to ruin the race enough that they could at least get tickets. At least he's doing something for them.

I'll bet you can't get Winston Cup tickets.

cart7
02-01-03, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by JLMannin
Finally, he just gave up the tickets altother and now buys tickets minutes before the race starts minutes before the race starts for less than half face value. Does anyone know how this can be?

Yep, scalpers are dying there. I wonder why they show up anymore.

chop456
02-01-03, 10:51 AM
Below are the best available tickets according to your search criteria.

Description: RACE - TOWER TERRACE (10 OVER 10 OVER 10 OVER 10 OVER 10)
Sec / Box Row Tickets Qty Price Sub Total
S74 V 1-10 10 $85 $850
S74 U 1-10 10 $85 $850
S74 T 1-10 10 $85 $850
S74 S 1-10 10 $85 $850
S74 R 1-10 10 $85 $850

Thanks to the vision, you and 49 of your closest friends can now all sit TOGETHER in the Tower Terrace. :D

Nice work, Tony.

JLMannin
02-01-03, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Hurling Frootmig
Tony's secret vision was to bring the sport back to the short track guy and since none of them can get rides he decided to ruin the race enough that they could at least get tickets. At least he's doing something for them.

I'll bet you can't get Winston Cup tickets.

I think the story link I saw mentioned that there were tickets available for the BY400. I just checked www.imstix.com, and there was no mention of tickets for the actual race, so you are right.

We've been saying all along that the biggest event at the speedway is the BY400.

What aspect of the vision does this cover?

Hurling Frootmig
02-01-03, 02:11 PM
This plays into the "getting outplayed by the competition" part of the vision.

Dave99
02-01-03, 10:36 PM
Any bets on how long it will be before IMS starts selling ticket packages for NASCAR's Brickyard *500*, packaged with tickets for the IRL's 500 mile race, ala ISC? :p

RTKar
02-02-03, 10:35 PM
Gotta love it.

How I loved the month of May and the anticipation of race day. I really can't think of a scenario where this race will ever be as great as it once was and if Bernie's circus leaves the infield course, then what?

JLMannin
02-03-03, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by RTKar
How I loved the month of May and the anticipation of race day. I really can't think of a scenario where this race will ever be as great as it once was and if Bernie's circus leaves the infield course, then what?

All NASCAR, all the time. My bold prediction: before the Memorial Day classic logs it's 100th running, it will be a tin-top race. This will be the final action of the restoration of the vision. It will be stated that the cars that raced there in the first decades of operation of the speedway were based on production vehicles; so bringing the tin-tops in for the 500 will restore this vision.

When F1 leaves, they could always have NASCRAP use the roadcourse. It could be the first track in the moders era to host three winston cup events per season, this in an era when most tracks are stugling to keep two events. IMS would be on top of the heap once again.

JoeBob
02-03-03, 11:44 AM
IIRC, the IMS Press Release said that BY400 tickets would be available on the site in a few months. They're probably still opening envelopes for that one. They've got a pretty high tech operation going. ;)

chop456
04-14-03, 12:06 AM
Two months of online sales later, and you can still get 50 tickets together in the tower terrace.

Thanks, Tony. You're the man.

Below are the best available tickets according to your search criteria.

Description: RACE - TOWER TERRACE (10 OVER 10 OVER 10 OVER 10 OVER 10)
Sec / Box Row Tickets Qty Price Sub Total
S75 G 1-10 10 $85 $850
S75 F 1-10 10 $85 $850
S75 E 1-10 10 $85 $850
S75 D 1-10 10 $85 $850
S75 C 1-10 10 $85 $850

Hink
04-14-03, 05:21 AM
I noticed they don't have a crapwagon on the medals. Maybe they're realizing CrapWagons are bad for business ... nah.

pchall
04-14-03, 09:27 AM
Last night I saw a commercial for Indy 500 tickets during a local sports newscast.

mapguy
04-14-03, 02:21 PM
The big question is why would anyone with half a brain buy them online when they can show up on race day and get them for less than half off the face?

cart7
04-14-03, 02:47 PM
originally posted by pchall
Last night I saw a commercial for Indy 500 tickets during a local sports newscast.

Tony won't spend a dime to peddle the IRL but he's pulled out all the stops trying to peddle tickets to his May race which seems to be becoming less interesting to American racing fans. I saw that same commercial. I remember trying to get my first tickets in the very early 80's. You were either rejected or got cr*ppy infield bleachers. Years went by (10) before we finally upgraded to our turn 4 seats. Now they've got premo seats for sale just weeks before the race. I'm sure the Hulman family is proud of the chosen hatched eggs great idea now. :shakehead :gomer:

pchall
04-14-03, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by cart7
I remember trying to get my first tickets in the very early 80's. You were either rejected or got cr*ppy infield bleachers

It was that way for me, too. I got bleachers on the inside of Turn 3. I learned to love those seats, but they no longer exist according to the Vision. [Now I have to wait for Turn13 to arrive and say that the seating has been expanded since the mid 90s and total sales are way up. ;) ]

Racewriter
04-14-03, 04:35 PM
Good seats are still there, still there, still there...

DaveL
04-14-03, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Racewriter
Good seats are still there, still there, still there...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Napoleon
04-16-03, 06:35 AM

I also have in the last few days.

RTKar
04-16-03, 06:47 AM
There was an ad in the Chicago Tribune too. I have never ever seen that before. I expect to see noticeable gaps in the stands at the the Indy 500 for the first time this year. It would have been interesting to see what type of crowd and response a same day US 500 would garner after 8 years down the road from the split.