PDA

View Full Version : OWRS Charter Members Club

mueber
04-03-04, 06:24 PM
I’m thinking OWRS ought to sell memberships to a charter members group. After OWRS reaches a certain level of success, the charter members ought to get a free ticket to the event of their choosing, or to a hospitality tent at the races, or free cap every year, maybe for life.

I realize this proposal is a bit self-serving, but we are the folks who love the sport. We have stuck to it through selfish, arrogant, hypocritical car owners, drivers, and engine companies, and through incompetent management.

We deserve a thank you, or at least some acknowledgement. I’d settle or someone in open wheel just acknowledging that the fans exist.

TravelGal
04-04-04, 12:09 AM
I'm thinking this is a good idea. It is a little self serving, but you're right--we've stuck it out. We should at least get something. A free membership in whatever fan club they devise; a ticket to a hospitality area; a paddock pass to the race of our choosing; or a ticket. I'm not holding my breath for the last one though. HOWEVER, I think you should convey this thought to OWRS. I think PG is seriously looking for ways to reward the fans. The problem is, how to differentiate those of us who've been around with those who just want a freebie. (Especially now that 7G, with the history of its members is gone). Any ideas on how to do that?

RaceGrrl
04-04-04, 07:54 PM
It is a little self serving, but you're right--we've stuck it out. We should at least get something.

We get a series this year.

SteveH
04-04-04, 08:22 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Its costing the three owners a fortune, I don't mind paying for everything this year. We don't need freebies. We get a full season on ChampCar, what else is better?

Nosuchsoul
04-04-04, 08:27 PM
I am a n00b to these forums, what was 7G?

nrc
04-04-04, 09:03 PM
I am a n00b to these forums, what was 7G?

7G was SeventhGear.com, another web site and forum that was dedicated to Champ Car. The owner lost interest and abruptly shut the site down early this year.

Oh, and welcome to OffCamber.

sundaydriver2
04-04-04, 09:45 PM
I would settle for a new Champ Car hat every year. :thumbup:

Railbird
04-04-04, 10:09 PM
A warm night at Milwaukee, a seat at pit-in in Cleveland, and a sunny day at Elkhart Lake, will be reward enough for me.

chop456
04-04-04, 10:31 PM
A warm night at Milwaukee, a seat at pit-in in Cleveland, and a sunny day at Elkhart Lake, will be reward enough for me.

Damn straight.

A few good races would be nice, too.

fourrunner
04-04-04, 11:21 PM
Well the way I see it is that three Guys are putting Millions of their personal fortunes up to enable the Series to exist for 2004 and beyond, and have succeeded in doing so against some rediculous odds.

There gift to us is the continuation of the series itself

When I consider that I would be looking for another form of sports entertainment this season otherwise, and the alternative American series is the lowest, vilest crap ever foisted on the sporting public....

I don't need no damn hats !!! :thumbup: :cool:

OWRS has risen from the ashes, and is ordained by God, All others are in concert with the Devil !! ;)

But I'd pay for a membership!!! :thumbup:

Jay
04-05-04, 12:39 AM
Excellent idea, I have no doubt they'll have a payed fan club of some sort to reward the dedicated fans that want to put a small bit of money towards supporting CART and now OWRS.

fourrunner does have a good point though - these people have poored millions of their hard earned money so that we can have some racing. Perhaps thats more than enough thanks.

Lizzerd
04-05-04, 01:42 AM
I was a paying member of Inner Circle last year, and have been in whatever it was called since the fan club's beginning. I have all the cheap "gifts" like the camera, little cooler, hat, etc. And, I'll gladly pay the $15-$20 (whatever it was) again. If that makes me a charter member, I'm in. Again.

mueber
04-05-04, 08:23 AM
I’m not asking for a freebie. I’m thinking of this as being more of an “equity” interest in the series. They SELL the charter memberships to us true believers, and they reward us later if things work out.

Tony George can buy a ticket to an OWRS race if he wants, and Chip Ganassi and Roger Penske will be back to Champ Car tomorrow if their pimps tell them to, but they won't. I’m going to Road America, Cleveland and, maybe, a third race TBA to this year in spite of the weak fields because I am a true believer. I am more than a customer, I’m a fan, and a modest “ownership” interest seems like a good way to stoke that loyalty and say, “thank-you.”

sundaydriver2
04-05-04, 11:52 AM
and a sunny day at Elkhart Lake, will be reward enough for me.

AMEN TO THAT!!!

:cool:

pchall
04-05-04, 12:32 PM

Yes, but not the race I want. I'd join this Charter Member outfit and insist that they race at M-O to fulfill their obligation to give me a freebie to an event of my choice. BTW, the hat would be of no interest, since I have plenty of tinfoil and am still waiting for my OC lid.

ChampcarShark
04-05-04, 03:54 PM
Well the way I see it is that three Guys are putting Millions of their personal fortunes up to enable the Series to exist for 2004 and beyond, and have succeeded in doing so against some rediculous odds.

There gift to us is the continuation of the series itself

When I consider that I would be looking for another form of sports entertainment this season otherwise, and the alternative American series is the lowest, vilest crap ever foisted on the sporting public....

I don't need no damn hats !!! :thumbup: :cool:

OWRS has risen from the ashes, and is ordained by God, All others are in concert with the Devil !! ;)

But I'd pay for a membership!!! :thumbup:

I agree with you, for the most part (except where you say the it is ordained by god).

My reward is to continue to enjoy the races that I love the most.

My alternative is not too bad, my local tracks put on a good show. But nothing beats OWRS' champcars. When staying at home, enjoying the race on TV, live timing, internet audio, and the best part, a chat with friends who have the same passion for true racing; there is nothing better out there.

cartcanuck
04-05-04, 04:16 PM
I like the idea of reviving something like an INner Circle fan club. I was a member for a few years and I'd spend my $20 again to get a newsletter and the little knick knacks. Especially if I knew that the money would go to fan-driver events and things like that. But I wouldn't expect a payout of anything in the long run. I'm committed because I love it. I'd pay because I love it. OWRS have saved our series because they love it. They've spent millions, and they owe me nothing more than good racing :)

nrc
04-05-04, 04:40 PM
I joined CART's Charter Membership Club and it didn't work out so well...

http://finance.myway.com/servlet/GifServlet?index=5|80|138712|

pkvracing12
04-05-04, 07:55 PM
RailBird i'll be at cleveland and i will be proud of every dollar i spend becuase i know what its going towards!

P Hanley
04-05-04, 08:07 PM
I like the idea of reviving something like an INner Circle fan club. I was a member for a few years and I'd spend my $20 again to get a newsletter and the little knick knacks. Especially if I knew that the money would go to fan-driver events and things like that. But I wouldn't expect a payout of anything in the long run. I'm committed because I love it. I'd pay because I love it. OWRS have saved our series because they love it. They've spent millions, and they owe me nothing more than good racing :)
I'm with you' I pay because I love it.I havent missed a Long Beach event for about 12 years. My total gratification would come with the decline of Mr. George and his IRL series.

pkvracing12
04-05-04, 09:54 PM
I'm with you' I pay because I love it.I havent missed a Long Beach event for about 12 years. My total gratification would come with the decline of Mr. George and his IRL series.
that would be me to! no more flat circle racing that dont mean anything! and tony george qouted once he is holding the hammer to nail Cart well tony we got us a sledge hammer and a jackhammer! :) :thumbup:

manic mechanic
04-05-04, 10:30 PM
I'd throw down the $$$ as nothing but a "thank you" to the principal triumvirate for bringing back my favorite series from the dead..NQA (and those of you who know me well know how much of a mercenary I am! ):D

However, if they were to institue some form of recognition/compensation for fans like us who have stuck with the series before, during (and after) life support, I would think it prudent that they issue an "online questionaire" to get a feel for just how deeply we all feel for ChampCar.

I would love to see about 10 fans per race get "Media Fantasy Camp 101" from Champcar at every stop during the '05 season as a :thumbup: from them (even if it wasn't me). I did it in '99 (my first LBGP photo gig) and would highly recommend the experience..How about you, Zig? ;)

manic