PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle crash behind my house tonight

JohnHKart
04-03-04, 08:16 AM
Well I was enjoying my peace and quiet....I've been cleaning out the garage at the house where I used to live, it's a long long project but I hope to be able to unload my tons of old rock and racing magazines on Ebay....I was enjoying the peace and quiet of 230AM thumbing through an old mag, when all of a sudden I heard what sounded like an airplane crash......it's another accident on the street behind the house, obviously very high speed....thank god the house is protected by a solid high brick wall. I get out my cell phone and dial 911.....start trying to climb the fence, which I've done many times, only this time I'm so amped I am stumbling,....hurry up 911, I'm on hold....ok I make it over the fence and they pick up...I get the street number....and holy cow.....what the hell happened!!!!??? The biker is laying at the rear of the late model full size Toyota pickup...motionless....I can't see any breathing either, this guy's gotta be dead...I start to really freak out....I am sure I'm looking at a dead guy! The truck is parked as if it was entering the driveway that is there....the bike is at the front of the truck, lodged under the truck....Meanwhile I've been reconnected on 911, I give the address and cross streets, but it seems to take forever for the first police officer to arrive, even though they are something like two minutes at most from the location. After a second look, it's clear the guy is breathing and alive.The Paramedics are about the same distance also, and they arrive and begin adminstering Iv's.....the guy seems to have healthy vital signs, probably broken bones so I relax when I realize he's going to be ok. From the accounts of the poor ladies driving the truck, it seems as though this guy was in the air headed towards them and they panicked and ended up hitting him although they swerved to avoid him. There is a slight blind rise and it's possible he was doing about 70....and he was on one of those very quick Honda bikes....To make a long story short....The moral of the story is, if you haven't already done so, put your local police and fire dept numbers in your cell phone phonebook.....my company Cingular does not automatically reach my local 911 operator....and there were valuable minutes lost while they redirected the call. Going to go do it now. Oh and one more thing....How brilliant of the city of Whittier to put medians and traffic calming devices on this particular block on Mar Vista street.....there was also another accident at the same location a few months ago in the middle of the night.....these aren't helping at all but are creating more of a dangerous hazard. I hear people speeding there all the time.

JH

oddlycalm
04-03-04, 02:19 PM
Good thing you were up and busy doing something, or the rider probably would have layed there a lot longer. :thumbup: You did everything you can do, and you can't control how people drive or if the city engineers had their brains turned on when they considered traffic abatement devices.

oc

Robstar
04-04-04, 03:52 AM
Yeah JHK,
Respect mate... You did welll buddy... :thumbup: :cool:

ChampcarShark
04-06-04, 01:24 PM
Way to go Jhon K.

Sometimes it pays to stay up late. You are a hero.