PDA

View Full Version : Crutchfield rocks

nrc
03-30-04, 11:32 PM
I meant to give Crutchfield a plug ages ago because I think great service deserves recognition. Now I'm finally getting around to it. Our Miata was badly in need of a new stereo and I had a free weekend coming up to do it. So I ordered a new Pioneer CD/MP3 player with one of the few sets of speakers that will fit the Miata without modification.

The Crutchfield website made the whole process of finding something that would fit the Miata a snap. It sucks not being able to hear the sound and twiddle the knobs, but a trip to the local stores narrowed down the brands even if they didn't have the exact same models.

So I ordered my goodies with two day air shipping to make sure I would have it before the weekend to do the install. Friday morning I check the shipping status and it has just left the warehouse that day. WTF?! Before I could call them, the phone rings. It's Crutchfield calling to tell me that UPS had failed to pick up the day before. They were going to contact UPS and try to have them switch the original shipment to Next Day service at no charge. But just to make sure, they would also ship out another package Next Day Air with Saturday delivery. I could just ship back whichever one didn't make it in time.

Saturday both packages arrive and I'm happily tearing out the center console to get everything installed. Crutchfield supplied very complete, very clear instructions and all the mounting and wiring hardware I needed. The Miata had an oddball OEM radio so that included a mounting panel to take the place of the old, oversized radio. My only complaint about the whole experience was that the mounting panel fills a little storage cubby and they could use a little trim around the radio since the piece that comes with the radio doesn't fit into the recess that the new mounting panel provides.

I love having a CD/MP3 player in the car. A few MP3 CDs provide dozens of hours worth of music and we don't have to worry about our originals getting scabbed up or stolen. The sound isn't quite as full as I'd like, but I'm not sure if that's the MP3 quality, or just the fact that you can only get so much range out of a 5.25 inch speaker. In any case, the sound is certainly good enough for the Miata since it provides it's own soundtrack much of the time anyway. :)

:thumbup: For Cruthfield
:thumbup: For MP3 CDs

(I was going to give them three thumbs up, but evidently that runs afoul of some kind of vBulletin thumbs up police feature. )

Ziggy
03-31-04, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the update. I got a new hifi tonight. Ordered is Saturday. Dont have it fully hooked up yet, as the frustration level got a bit to high. NYPD Blue came on at 10, so I quit. Got no high end out of the new CD player. Turntable works with full range, as does the TV through the speakers. Tapedeck is another matter all together. I never can hook them up right on a good day.

It should rock out when Im done

Ziggy

losedagrooves
03-31-04, 01:37 AM
Customer for years. Props all around.

datachicane
03-31-04, 01:19 PM
I've had great luck with Crutchfield as well.

MP3s vary considerably in quality depending on the bitrate, encoder, etc.- the 128 bit stuff you download from the web will never sound like it should. I do a high bitrate VBR rip on all of mine, and they're tough to tell from the originals. Ogg Vorbis is another alternative if you need decent quality from smaller files...

I stopped using mp3 CDs some time ago. I got one of these and it changed my life :D :
Neuros (http://www.neurosaudio.com/)

It's great being able to take it in rental cars, sneak it into clubs to record shows, broadcast on every stereo in the house, etc., etc....

Insomniac
03-31-04, 06:06 PM
Crutchfield has top service. It's a shame that with the abundance of online stores they always seem over priced. :( I go to them when I need their services. Well worth the extra money.

racer2c
03-31-04, 06:30 PM
Hmm, I'll check them out. I love my stock CD player in my Eclipse, but just below it where the OEM six disc changer would go if I had one, is a big empty 'storage bin' that I hate. Mitsubishi want $650 for the disc changer! I was thinking about a digital EQ. Not that I need one, I just want to plug that ugly hole up.

BTW nrc, my wife is getting really tired of me taking her Miata keys on weekend errands! She says "you have the motorcycle and I have the Miata!". I love that little car!

datachicane
03-31-04, 06:34 PM
Screw the CD changer, man! The 20gb drive in my Neuros has a couple of hundred disks worth on it, and it's not nearly full. For the price difference, a $200 Neuros is a no-brainer.

oddlycalm
04-01-04, 12:45 PM
Yeah, realistically, the days of dragging around dozens of CD's for use in the car, and having to burn copies of all of them, seems to be coming to a close. MP3's aren't in the running for high quality home playback, but for mobile use they're it.

oc

racer2c
04-01-04, 01:00 PM
Yeah, realistically, the days of dragging around dozens of CD's for use in the car, and having to burn copies of all of them, seems to be coming to a close. MP3's aren't in the running for high quality home playback, but for mobile use they're it.

oc

I have my Xbox connected to my 600w home threater via optical connection with hundreds of songs in WMA format at 128b. Sounds pretty high quality to me. I can't tell the difference between them and CD's.

nrc
04-01-04, 03:47 PM
Screw the CD changer, man! The 20gb drive in my Neuros has a couple of hundred disks worth on it, and it's not nearly full. For the price difference, a $200 Neuros is a no-brainer.

Wow, wasn't the Neuros 20G a lot more when it first came out? I remember looking at it and thinking the backback thing was kind of goofy, but at $200 for 20G and all the other goodies it's looking very attractive as a way to add MP3 to an existing head unit.