PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of homeowner's adventures....

mapguy
03-30-04, 06:41 PM
Sort of....

In early February I went to a call about a hot water heater that was leaking. Told the guy that it was hosed and he needed a new one. So I went back to the shop and picked up a new one. Got back and started getting ready to take out the old one. Homeowner comes down and tells me that he is going shopping and that he will be home in a couple of hours. No problem, I told him and that I would call his cell if I was done before he was home. After he leaves I notice that the hackers who installed his original water heater (Sears..) had placed the water shut off valve to the heater about two inches above the water heater. So I try to find the main shut off for the house. Turns out it was in the next unit. (duplex). Damn.. So I grab a compression fitting from the truck and decide to cut the pipe above the valve as there was no way I could cut it below. I figure that I would get a little wet while putting the fitting on. Well, as soon as I made it through the pipe I got a blast of ice cold water in the face and I dropped the fitting. By the time I found the fitting and got it on the pipe I was absolutely drenched from head to foot. It was at this time that I realized that my can of mapp (no relation) gas was on the truck. This is really starting to suck as it is just above 0 outside and windy as hell. So I go out and as usual what I need is buried. By the time I grab the canister I notice that there is something restricting the movement of my legs. My pants are starting to freeze. I get back in the house, now I am really pissed off. So I get down stairs and notice that the washer and dryer are in the same room. Hmm... I figure that he won't be home for a couple of hours so I strip down to my undies and toss the rest into the dryer. So I go about installing the heater all the while carefully listening for the door. Luckily my clothes were dry before he got home. I never thought that I would be sweating pipes in my scivvies when I signed up for this job. It was tricky, I tell you. To make matters worse it was a gas hot water heater. I was lucky not to get any pipe dope on... well, you know...

RichK
03-30-04, 06:54 PM
So the no-pants thing lives on! :thumbup: :D

Great story!

G.
03-30-04, 07:05 PM
:laugh: :rofl:
I would've been more worried about hot solder and flux flying around, rather than pipe dope... :cry:

lone_groover
03-30-04, 07:24 PM
HA HA! They don't call it pipe dope for nothin'.

:D :D :D

:thumbup:

nz_climber
03-30-04, 07:26 PM
:rofl: good story mappy - i see you can't help but take your pants off at any oppurtunity :D

Cam
03-30-04, 09:59 PM
Paragraphs dude! Makes for easier reading! :p

cart7
03-31-04, 07:21 AM
:laugh: A secret of the pro's, Plumbing in the buff! :thumbup: I guess we won't be seeing anything like that on "This Old House" anytime soon.
Great story. :D

Brickman
03-31-04, 11:35 AM
That's pretty good. :thumbup: Some things we on the left coast never even think of, weather affecting work would be one.

Brickman
03-31-04, 11:37 AM
Paragraphs dude! Makes for easier reading!

Paragraph? Changing the wording "undies" to boxers would have made it "easier reading" for me. ;)

RichK
03-31-04, 07:32 PM
mappy, I forwarded your story to a few friends. If you see it making its way across the 'net, that would be my fault..... :D

Ankf00
03-31-04, 07:49 PM
when you're riding you dont strip naked after you get all wet from fording a river do you? :saywhat:
remind me never to go riding with you :p

Anteater
03-31-04, 08:21 PM
That's a hilarious story, mapguy! :D

That reminds me--my water heater is over 10 years old and ripe for replacement. It's probably better to do that before the thing lets go and floods the garage. That would not be pretty!

nz_climber
03-31-04, 08:35 PM
So mappy you'll be the 10th edition of

'What naked trademen do in your house when your away'??

or the 14th edition of

'When naked trademen go bad'??

;)

B3RACER1a
03-31-04, 09:13 PM
Trademen Gone Wild!

Robstar
03-31-04, 09:23 PM
That's a hilarious story, mapguy! :D

That reminds me--my water heater is over 10 years old and ripe for replacement. It's probably better to do that before the thing lets go and floods the garage. That would not be pretty!

As opposed to the Mapster in his jocks ? :D

JT265
03-31-04, 10:28 PM
Mappy, your secret is safe with me. :D

PEOPLE!!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE RUMOUR THAT SARAH FISHER WINTERED IN SUBURBAN ALBANY NY!!!!!!! THERE IS NO TRUTH TO THAT AT ALL!!!!!!!!!

PS: I gotta shoot you a mail. I was on tour in Vancouver and Calgary in late Feb. and almost all of March.