PDA

View Full Version : Peter Ustinov

pchall
03-29-04, 08:51 PM
... has died at age 82.

Every race fan should have the pleasure of hearing the recording of his monologue "Grand Prix of Gibraltar".

:(

tantra
03-29-04, 10:06 PM
... has died at age 82.

Every race fan should have the pleasure of hearing the recording of his monologue "Grand Prix of Gibraltar".

Come on, pc, don't be modest. Resite a few lines for us. :)

lone_groover
03-29-04, 10:19 PM
I'll have to check that out.

Sad to lose another old guy you've seen all your life. I used to look forward to seeing him on Dick Cavett or Johnny Carson or even David Susskind, holding forth on just about any subject and doing his annoying dialects.

TrueBrit
03-29-04, 11:23 PM
A thoroughly decent human being with a razor-sharp wit...

What a loss... :(

fourrunner
03-29-04, 11:34 PM
The Guy was Friggin Hilarious... I was truly sad at his death... There are very few in todays group of actors who could even carry his shoes.

His stories were like looking forward to your Grandfathers visits... I don't know how many times I've seen "The Egyptian" ... but I know each time was to watch Peter Ustinov play that wonderful character.

And as lone-groover said, his appearances on those talk shows of the 60's & 70's & 80's were something I looked forward too. :thumbup:

JT265
03-30-04, 01:00 AM
Well said. A tremendous loss. :(

TravelGal
03-30-04, 01:17 AM
Indeed sad news. One of the great generation of great actors. Was not aware of the Grand Prix monologue, however. Definitely something to find!

anait
03-30-04, 12:18 PM
Indeed sad news. One of the great generation of great actors. Was not aware of the Grand Prix monologue, however. Definitely something to find!

I wasn't familiar with that monologue, either. First person who finds it, post a link?

My personal favourite was his voice acting for the character of Prince John (a mane-less lion, I think) in Disney's animated Robin Hood.

Forza Lancia
03-31-04, 12:32 PM
Here's one source (http://www.footlight.com/product.cfm?product_id=28741) for the re-issued CD (I just ordered mine!) -- you can also find places to buy used LP's, if you Google "Grand Prix of Gibraltar."

By the way -- didn't Peter Ustinov also do the commentary for one of those Formula One season review videotapes... maybe 1987, I think?

Shadow
04-02-04, 09:04 PM
Here's one source (http://www.footlight.com/product.cfm?product_id=28741) for the re-issued CD (I just ordered mine!) -- you can also find places to buy used LP's, if you Google "Grand Prix of Gibraltar."

By the way -- didn't Peter Ustinov also do the commentary for one of those Formula One season review videotapes... maybe 1987, I think?

I have the LP (it belonged to a deceased friend) and it fills both sides and pretty close to an hour long - and very enjoyable. PU was a great actor and a great individual.

As noted above the CD is available now and I may purchase it since who buys needles in the 21st. Not me. :D